Reviews for The Darkest Shadows, The Brightest Lights
omasuoniwabanshi chapter 6 . 2/15/2005
I've been reading my way through your story, "The Darkest Shadows, The Brightest Ligts" and I absolutely love it. It's a wonderful blend of fact, political history, and fiction. Even the original characters behave according to the social norms of that era! I'm absolutely in awe at the scope of the historical research you must have done to write this. (I'm a little jealous too - you seem to have found some great sources for the British involvement in Japan during this time period, any chance of sharing them?) Apart from the historical accuracy, it's the plot that is really drawing me in. You combine action and drama so effortlessly! Your settings are easy to picture without being over-wordy - which is a real feat! I positively loved this particular chapter because you mentioned my favorite quirky character of the meiji restoration - Sakamoto Ryoma. I'm really looking forward to reading through the rest of this. I did, however notice that the people reviewing chapter 15 mentioned that the story wasn't done. Please say you're going to finish it! It would be a crying shame not to (I know I'll be crying if there's no ending to be had!)
lolo popoki chapter 15 . 1/20/2005
I've never reviewed this story before, but I first read it back in June when you last updated. I remember reading all 15 chapters in one night because I was absolutely enthralled by the amazing historical detail, and the interwoven plotlines. I really think this would make an excellent movie. I understand that life tends to get in the way, but I was just wondering if you were ever going to finish this story or not. I hope you do decide to continue, because I would hate to see this fic remain unfinished like so many others I've read.
kitsune chapter 1 . 1/9/2005
I have enjoyed your story and the characterizations of Kenshin and his fellow Ishinshishi. You have obviously spent some time considering the time period and the original Kenshin stories for this time period. You mix the "real" and "supernatural" elements of the story together into an easily believable mix. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to more of this story.
ColdAndFire chapter 15 . 12/26/2004
*uber gasp* I love this story! I cannpt wait for the next chapter, you are an amazing writer and i hope you keep it up!
SiriusFan13 chapter 1 . 11/28/2004
Excellent... A bit confusing at parts (or perhaps I'm just an idiot, and had trouble with the observer... Akira? Kenshin of the future flashing back? Battousai outside of himself watching a dream? Or the small surviving part of Shinta/Kenshin inside Battousai watching the action as an outsider? ... or maybe that's why you only called him "observer.") Anyway, excellent story. I really liked it.

SiriusFan13
skenshingumi chapter 15 . 10/31/2004
I am entralled with this story in terms of the depth of the characters, the sense of history and the intricate and exciting plot! Please keep writing! It is appreciated.
skenshingumi chapter 12 . 10/31/2004
I am so impressed with how well you are weaving the threads together. This story must have taken quite a bit of reasearch and careful plotting. I must admit that sometimes I have to refresh my memory on who's who in the large cast of characters, but I am really enjoying this story. I reminds me of a Robert Altman film in the way so many plots and wide variety of characters eventually intersect and come together. Looking forward to finishing!
anime kikei chapter 15 . 9/24/2004
Wow... great story. Very well written and impressive depth for fanfic. Please continue this story! I will be waiting eagerly. :)
Hiro-tyre chapter 11 . 9/23/2004
This is really fantastic work. Bookmark for later reading!
Ariana Deralte chapter 15 . 9/21/2004
Yatta! A new chapter! You have no idea how happy I was to see a new chapter when I came back to reread this (as I periodically do when I want to remind myself how good Kenshin fic can get). I'll wait for any new chapters you're willing to give us:)

Kenshin is rather close to a mental breakdown (if he isn't there already) and I'm wondering what's going to pull him back. I'm eagerly awaiting this whole meeting with the Ambassador simply cause I know a million and one things are going to happen. Has Kenshin already met with the swordmaker (name forgotten atm) or are you just skipping over that? I'd also like to see what happens when the Okashira gets to Kyoto.

Thanks for the new chapter. Cheers:)
Idhren chapter 15 . 9/6/2004
Arigatou, Naga-dono.

I think it might scare you if I told the truth about how many times I've reread your fic. It continues to be my favorite piece of RK fanfiction (favorite pieces of writing, period). Your prose is quirky, fun, awesome, beautiful-I worship your well-rounded characters, vivid detail, careful research (it really, really shows), and the sheer life you bring to it. Not that it's perfect, mind (**you might want to recheck the fighting bit of Chapter 13: Encounters In the Night-the math is a bit screwy there.** If there were five people left in the patrol, and then Kenshin killed two, how can there be "four men remaining"? Yet the rest of the sequence then runs with the idea that there's only three left.*shakes head*. That can't be right.). However, the fact that that's the only inconsistency I've found in a work of this length says a lot for how finely polished and of what high quality it is.

It would be a shame if you stopped working on it now. Such a piece of art deserves to be finished in its own right. This is not to critize-[much] *smacks self ::be POLITE to Naga-dono:*. I am a very patient person, and am more than willing to wait for updates; real life can and should take preference. However, this is a plea to keep up the good work, and please let us know how that work is going.

Thank you very much for your time and the extraordinary amount of effort you put into your work. It is inspiring-and yields great results.
kenshinadmirer chapter 15 . 8/26/2004
I would love to see another chapter to this story. I wonder how Kenshin's debriefing with Katsura will be like and the reprecussions of the carnage he created. I'm curious as to the Shinshimgumi's reaction to the reemergence of the Battousai as well. :-)

I hope we don't have to wait another year for an update. :-)
Anna chapter 15 . 8/12/2004
As usual (despite the long wait, sorry to rub that in) it was wonderful. Please try to continue, me and many of my friends have been wanting to know the outcome of this story for so long! Thanks for the new chapter. Oh and ( i am trying to be helpful) try to keep your verbs in the same tense. If you need a beta or anything, please feel free to email me.
benign sadist chapter 15 . 8/10/2004
I love this fic, love it for all those historical bits, for the OVA-feel of it and for all that wonderful characterization.

I can't even imagine the amount of time you must have put into research for this fic, and it's wonderful~

I especially love all the bits with Okita and Saitou...please do continue this. It'd be such a shame to leave this great story you've started hanging.
Emiri-chan the GREAT chapter 15 . 8/1/2004
UPDATE? UPDATEUPDATE? UPDAATTEE!

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT NAGA-SAMA UPDATED! HOW ARE YOU? ITS BEEN AGES! Remember, we used to e-mail each other a lot? Wow, that was an awesome chapter! YOU SO DID EXACTLY WHAT I HAD BEEN WAITING FOR! KENSHIN IS SLIPPING! WWAH! And in front of the superiors no less! And hey, are you going to make this an alternate ending? Are you?

PLEEASE DONT KILL KEN-CHAN?

Not that it wouldn't be fun... But please?

Em-chan luvvy yur stuff! And still can't spell. Let alone write. Help?

Mata! I will be waiting to hear from you. Or finding out where you live for starters... We will take revenge forthis long period of no updated-ness! WAI! (glances back nervously at her own pile of unfinished fics) Heh... heh...
148 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 .. Last Next »