Reviews for Cleric
wordlings chapter 1 . 1/6/2014
This is one of my favorite fanfiction stories of all time.
ny26 chapter 9 . 2/8/2012
Phew, I love happy ends :) This fic was an emotional rollercoaster. You portrayed everyone very well with their struggle of growing feelings and lessons of life. Thanks for writing and sharing this with us :)
ny26 chapter 8 . 2/8/2012
You write the action sequences very well. I really felt myself taken along for the ride. It’s great how John goes in alone, reminds me of the last scenes in the movie.

But holy hell – when Herald showed John the list with the names and called out the number of the people who died through John’s hands, my breath got stuck in my throat. It’s such an unbelievable number and I can once again see why some clerics go back to taking Prozium when faced with this kind of list, but John was right to call them cowards! It’s better to face every emotion life throws at you than to be just an empty shell.

Now I only hope that Herald was bluffing about killing John’s children, it would be horrible if he looses them…
ny26 chapter 7 . 2/8/2012
Such a great scene in the beginning! The lullaby Mary sang to the baby is beautiful. I admit I got a little teary-eyed when John confessed his fears to her and finally let himself break down and cry. Her comforting him may help him start forgiving himself.

I also like the scene in the woods when April tries to make John admit his feelings. It’s good that he cleared the air with Thomas – now we only need to see him confess his feelings to Mary… :)
ny26 chapter 6 . 2/8/2012
Oh my god! You can’t shoot or kill the puppy! I hope it’s going to be fine soon! Poor John! It must be hell having his kids taken away so shortly after he started feeling like a real father. But I’m sure he’ll take those bastards down and get them back safely…
ny26 chapter 5 . 2/8/2012
It’s sweet that John quickly realised that Mary won’t like those stark white walls and buys all that stuff for her. Also the scene at the market place where Thomas comments on John’s strange behaviour is very cute and funny. I’m glad that Mary reacted so gentle and grateful towards John, but I think it will still take some time until John can understand and accept her forgiveness.
ny26 chapter 4 . 2/8/2012
I’m glad April was there when John went to the church. I loved the part where she asks him if he remembers the first sunrise he’s seen after being cut off from his dose – it was such a powerful, memorable scene in the movie, brilliantly played by Christian Bale :)

The end of this chapter made me hold my breath. It’s a great turn of events to have Mary alive. I’m curious how Mary will react to John now.
ny26 chapter 3 . 2/8/2012
The internal conflict is very well played out. It’s understandable somehow why some of the clerics go back to using Prozium when faced with what they’ve done. I only hope that John can withstand their offer in the long run…
ny26 chapter 2 . 2/8/2012
Oh my god! The beginning of this chapter was absolutely brilliant and sad. In the movie I love the scene where John realises that he simply stood by while they burned his wife. It must be horrible for him to remember that he almost let them take away his daughter, too.

It’s also sad that they couldn’t save the painting from getting burned. It’s another important part of history lost…
ny26 chapter 1 . 2/8/2012
After watching the movie again, I went to see if there are any good stories and this looks very great!

Love the beginning of this fic! The first paragraph is heavy to read, because you immediately get a good impression how hard it will be for people to deal with the aftermath of what happenend in the movie. You quickly manage to get into John’s character, his thoughts and feelings are well described. How he wonders what could have become of him without Equilibrium, how he’s feeling lost and struggles to build a normal life for himself and his family.

The scene with John’s children, where he bringst hem the comic books and the glass horse, made me smile, especially when Lisa asked if they can get one :) It’s also great that John still has Mary’s ribbon and touches it occasionally, as if it’s some kind of reminder of everything that happened.

I’m sure his past will come back to haunt him, however…
jomanflea chapter 9 . 11/28/2011
Oh I do love me some well written angst with a happy ending. :)

I had to IMDB the movie to give myself a bit of background, but I enjoyed the story anyway.
kay-masen chapter 9 . 10/6/2011
I loved this movie. I love christian bale - hey, what can I say? this was a good follow-up, very well written, true to character - thanks for writing!
Anonymous chapter 9 . 7/9/2011
This was an absolutely fantastic story! You kept very well to the tone and style of the movie, while still adding more to the story. Excellent work! I look forward to reading more of your stories.
Lexicon chapter 1 . 5/16/2011
I always thought that this was an underrated/underappreciated movie. It wasnt perfect but then again what is... thanks for writing a sequel... and doing it justice.
Ani Sparrow chapter 9 . 10/4/2009
This is probably one of the best stories of any genre I've read on here - it is so true to the film, it's unbelievable. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant!