Reviews for Ashes & Dust
CymraegCariad chapter 31 . 6/28/2014
This story was amazing, one of the best I've read in a long time! And the end, with Jack finally getting a Christmas...It made me cry lol. Well done :)
Guest chapter 20 . 5/18/2014
Couldn't they just tell everyone that it was some alien healing artifact thing that makes people recover from injuries really fast?
shinee1234 chapter 10 . 11/13/2013
I could fricking kill those beings who did this to jack. And i would make them suffer.
Its so emotional this.
wow chapter 31 . 8/27/2013
great job! and thanks for not having them use sex like a bandaid. Most fanfics do, and it always bothers me
EmperialGem21 chapter 31 . 6/15/2013
Awesome and realistic story. Great characterization as well, loved the whole thing really. Just absolutely brilliant .
Alice Carter chapter 31 . 5/4/2013
Strong characterizations, realistic dialogue. Difficult subject matter, all the more horrifying because it involved ordinary people. Another brilliant story.
Lady Emma Wentworth chapter 31 . 2/2/2013
Truly an amazing story - I don't know how you've managed to to convery such an intense and myriad series of emotions - so many times, I found that I wasn't breathing until I saw spots and the words were blurry! You have an unbelieveable depth of insight into the human psyche and you have my utmost admiration. Thank you for sharing with us.
Lady Emma Wentworth chapter 26 . 2/2/2013
"I understand that," Gwen protested. "Really! I just thought…" Owen's gaze hardened fractionally. "You thought what?"

Oh, I know exactly what she thought - she thought that Jack would want to ride with HER, because SHE'S special and SHE'S the heart of TW and no one can understand him the way SHE can, and blah, blah, blah - the usual tripe that flows through Gwen bloody Cooper's brain.
Lady Emma Wentworth chapter 19 . 2/2/2013
This is my second time reading A&D, and I this may be some of the most profound words I've ever read anywhere:

"I don't know if I'm ready. I just know it's something that I have to do. I faced down Daleks without flinching, Ianto, back when dead really meant dead for me. I won't accept that I'm too frightened now to face six men who can't actually do me any permanent damage."

This whole story is amazing, but this sort paragraph simply epitomises your gift for writing and for expressing the most difficult, intense and powerful emotions.

Thank you so much for sharing with us.
Aneeta Potter chapter 1 . 12/6/2012
This is a great story! I love how you used Swanson.
StarKayak chapter 31 . 9/26/2012
This is well written, very emotionally gripping and cinematic. I especially like the interaction of Jack and Ianto about family. These are conversations that are held in many families that acknowledge gay relatives. The police work was also believable. Wonderful.
sd4ianto chapter 31 . 9/19/2012
very good
sd4ianto chapter 16 . 9/18/2012
This story has been harder for me to read than even "What Never Should be". There is so much raw emotion in this story. You write wonderfully. Thank you. I have cried most of these first chapters. But have deeply loved the story.
Bloodsong 13T chapter 30 . 8/18/2012
21-30

brilliant finish! and everything wrapped up. i could really see jack getting a handle on things and turning around. although it was dicey there for a bit with the police and that crap lawyer excuse to get them off. 'it's their religion, so it's okay?' wtf? gah!

and the ending... just effing 'Awwwwww!' i know you say you don't like fluff, but hell, after this trip, it was well-deserved! just... i'm in awe, i really am.

and do i understand that you don't plot your stories all out, you just start with an idea and go from there? because this is one seriously strong, very tightly-plotted story, here! it's not slapdash and indiana jones (make it up as you go along), it's really got all the elements fitting well together. strong pacing throughout. excellent writing. i can't say enough good things about this story. pure brilliance.
Bloodsong 13T chapter 20 . 8/15/2012
ch11-20

this is really brilliant work. solid plot, and you manage to bring in all these different characters and keep all the threads going and weaving together. and now a new mystery menace!

i was surprised by ianto's dad's reaction. and that's good! it so easily could have been yet another notch on the ramped-up angst tally, but you made it more real and more varied. and that was very touching, but not *too* perfect. damn, you're good!

i also wanted to say, i've read a few angst pieces about jack's past with the doctor - the valiant, satellite 5, etc. and i'm impressed how you wove all those into this new story. i especially like how you've contrasted this with the ordeal on the valiant and have drawn the differences very clearly into the theme of purposeful suffering and meaningless suffering.

and i love the symbolism of the coat, and ianto's keen perceptions about it.

i must say, i really thought jack was going to do a runner on ianto and go do something precipitous, there when he said he wanted to just take a walk, and ianto let him go out the other way alone. i was worried! but you surprised me again! and then of course, THIS happens. (uh... that makes more sense if you're looking at the end of chapter 20...) another cliffhanger.