Reviews for Never Quite Normal
Daine-Weirynsra chapter 48 . 1/22/2010
I gulped this story down like the addictive substance that it is. So delicious. *looks around* Good no one saw that. Anyway all the characters were extremely well written, as a fan of Classic Who as well as New Who, I can't tell you how bad some of the fics are. Any who, I loved the fic in all it's glory (as well as the little rants in the beginning of each chapter which always made me laugh to myself) and am going forth to the sequel. Yeah sequel!

-Daine
bob0045 chapter 48 . 1/11/2010
Completely fantastic
Miss Jones chapter 48 . 12/9/2009
OMG I LOVED IT! soo good. u two work real well together. u should write something else together and put it on teaspoon coz copying and pasteing 47 chapters is pure hell lol :) well done two thumbs up
Ami the Elemental Sorceress chapter 48 . 9/26/2009
You know, when i first read this on whofic, i was so pissed that it ended at like ch. 25, and hadn't been updated in a while. I was so sure it had been abandoned, and then i found it here and proceded to immediately headdesk, followed by reading it through, till bloody 2:30 in the morning. So thank you, for writing this wonderful, amazing, adicting fic that totally ruined my sleep schedule.

I love the entire thing, the early mishaps, they way they got together, and how gradually most of the alien stuff was introduced. you didn't make it immediatley jump in, nor drop a bombshell, and the characters where so IC, that you can't help but love them more. The problem with canon, is that it's first and foremost a TV show, so they need to keep up ratings, leading characters to do stuff that often seems OOC for the earlier established bits of their personality. Which is why fanfiction like this is so amazing, staying true to them without worrying about outside opinion. I'm going to go read the sequel, and ruin my sleep pattern some more.
spookysister7 chapter 48 . 9/8/2009
Great story! Love the details of the Drs alter ego
poohsox chapter 48 . 6/14/2009
Thank you for the great story. 9 AU is bliss. Looking forward to the sequel. Keep up the good smut, er, work.
RavenWriter89 chapter 48 . 6/11/2009
As glad as I am that this was complete when I found it, I'm sad to see it end. There's so many things I love about this, I think I'll only be able to list a few of them:

-The excellence of wholly original characters like Zed and Jamal, the brilliant fleshing out of barely-there characters from the show like Wilson and Shireen, and the motivations of secondary characters like Jackie and Mickey.

-Jackie's protectiveness, hypocrisy, and ability to think in italics ("that man" has never carried such venom).

-Shout-outs to both Classic and New Who with Bad Wolf and the Master ("think his name started with a K. Or was it an M?" Love it). Brilliantly subtle and unassuming. I think I may have actually caught some shout-outs to Jessa's other epic Doctor/Rose fic. Maybe that's just me.

-The gorgeously drawn out and intricate plot. For something to survive nearly 50 chapters it has to be strong, and this succeeds, again, brilliantly.

-Not mentioning the story title until the third last paragraph. Now I'm just getting ridiculously specific.

-The disclaimers which were mini-epics in themselves.

:takes a deep breath: I think I need to go outside for a bit and stare at the sky a while. Cheers from a punky little upstart.
Marcus S. Lazarus chapter 48 . 5/18/2009
M…

Actually, that was pretty good.

I wasn’t ENTIRELY certain about the Doctor’s actions at the beginning of the story, of course- running away from his problems by giving himself a new personality isn’t exactly Doctorish behaviour-, but on the other hand, he’s never gone THIS far when trying to defeat his enemies, and it DID make a certain sense; since he can’t recover on his OWN, he creates a new persona that will allow him to ‘work through’ his issues SUBconsciously while letting his conscious mind focus on other things…

The relationship with Rose and Joshua was another detail I wasn’t certain about at first but grew into over time; I’ve always felt that age was less of an issue for the DOCTOR and Rose because he wasn’t human- and hence Rose felt more ‘comfortable’ defying conventions like that-, but in the end it managed to prove fairly plausible, as well as being kind of cute in its way.

Plus, of course, the use of the Brigadier, Benton and Harry was a nice little touch; after so many people seem to be ignoring the classical series these days- save for when old villains return-, it makes a nice change to see the Doctor’s old companions playing a role in his life these days, and the appearance of UNIT- while trying to remember not to call the Doctor ‘Doctor’- was an interesting little touch (While I assume that means he retains the memories of the rest of the ‘UNIT family’ such as Jo, Liz and Sarah, does Joshua have any recollection of some of his other human companions like Tegan, Peri or Ace, or is his memory of them gone?).

And as for the Kalspar…

Rather interesting villains, in their way, although I have to wonder how they’d feel if they knew who they were up against and then became aware that they’d lost to a man who isn’t operating anywhere NEAR his peak (The Doctor probably lacks any recollection of at least HALF the monsters he’s encountered if he’s ‘programmed’ Joshua to only be aware of what he might have been expected to encounter on Earth at this point in history; seems like a guy not operating at his peak to me, even if he’s allowed Joshua to retain some of his knowledge of alien tech)?

In the end, however, I just have one GENUINE problem with this story; Rose as a person was portrayed as being... TOO perfect.

The series itself made it clear that she’s far from a perfect person- her selfishness in rescuing Pete and going to see his alternate self made that fairly clear, in my opinion (She just did what SHE wanted despite the Doctor constantly telling her not to, for no other reason than that she wanted to; at least when Donna tried to defy the Doctor in Pompeii she did it to try and save lives), to say nothing of her jealousy issues and her almost-excessive dependence on the Doctor- but here it was like Rose couldn’t do ANYTHING wrong; she accepts that Joshua’s old enough to be her father, she accepts that he has a serious drinking problem, she makes him feel alive, she accepts his stories about aliens without calling him nuts...

You need to give her SOME flaws in the sequel or the story just gets boring; who wants to read about a character who’s essentially perfect (The bit with her losing her temper at her mother after Jackie brought that younger guy back to the flat doesn’t count; you’d have to be a SAINT not to get freaked out by THAT)?

Still, that aside, hope you continue this story at least up to the point where the Doctor comes back full-time; after getting to know ‘Joshua’, it might be interesting to see how Rose reacts to ‘the Doctor’.

Even if the Doctor’s feeling more comfortable as Joshua right now, he can’t hide from who he is FOREVER, after all; sooner or later, the TARDIS will dematerialise again...

Keep up the good work!
Sunny angel chapter 48 . 4/4/2009
Fantastic story! I hope we'll get a sequel!
Sunny angel chapter 41 . 4/4/2009
BAD WOLF! Squee!
Sunny angel chapter 38 . 4/4/2009
Lol. Unexpected Doctor Who/Robin who crossover (kinda) is made of win!
Sunny angel chapter 23 . 4/4/2009
Lol. The Doctor trying to impress Jackie Tyler! And it worked!
Sunny angel chapter 17 . 4/4/2009
Perfect! This is just... wow!
Sunny angel chapter 15 . 4/4/2009
Aw! The kiss was beautiful!

And there are Rose Tyler fangirls.. even Bad wolf worhippers! LOL!
Sunny angel chapter 5 . 4/4/2009
Aw! He nearly kissed her! I love this story!
845 | « Prev Page 1 .. 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 .. Last Next »