Reviews for Sister Spell
PenKnifeName chapter 1 . 5/21/2009
Wow. One of your better ones, definitely...
Pied Flycatcher chapter 1 . 4/16/2009
Aw, that's so beautiful and sad. You've given something as matter-of-fact as creating a spell such emotional resonance, and all in a very short story.
Nimbus Llewellyn chapter 1 . 3/8/2009
...beautiful...
Marlien chapter 1 . 2/8/2009
This really is a nice story. I don't remember the paper boats though. Was it in 'Sabriel'?

As always, your writing is inpaccible. You manage to tell a lot using few words. But as this is your strength, you could easily extend the story without stretching it out too much.

I think you could have spent more thought on Embriels feelings. You do give little hints, but I'd prefer a better look into his mind. Is he scared? What if something else came back through the first gate? What if there wouldn't be a reply at all?

Also, I think you give a little too much attention to Mogget for such a short story. It is enjoyable to read about him, but maybe you should lengthen the rest of the story a bit more?

Cheers,

Marlien
hungryjunco chapter 1 . 11/30/2008
This is a terrific story. The paper boats rather struck me as well when I first read the books. I'm glad to see such a serious take on the subject - I can hardly imagine any less of a bond would be profound enough to call someone back from beyond the final gate. Keep up the good work.
addictedtofantasy chapter 1 . 5/22/2008
Fantastic story. Absolutely perfect
stupidpenname chapter 1 . 5/12/2008
This was great, but I didn't expect anything less. What I wasn't expecting was a story so dark in many ways, and I think it creates a great contrast with your other pieces. It was interesting to have Embriel as a somewhat obsessed, morally ambiguous character. I think it gave the story great depth.

Love your work mate.
Leishy-lou-02 chapter 1 . 4/30/2008
Hey Sanaryelle,

This is really good as always. You should do another chapter.

I'd like to see whats happenned to Verchiel while she was in death.
Rainstorm Amaya Arianrhod chapter 1 . 4/30/2008
... my alerts did not catch this. Stupid alerts. *kicks*

I like it very very much. An extremely inventive idea that makes perfect sense (of course, it is brothers and sisters who teach you things like that! Paper boats! How to aim catapults! Mentos and Coca-cola explosions!) and a very interesting theme not used before in these drabbles: the choice the Abhorsens always have to make- Free Magic or Charter? I also adore Mogget's sort-of-caringness, and him also being impressed. Some very vivid imagery, too, especially the bit about Verchiel's tunic.

One quibble only. Where exactly did Verchiel drown? Abhorsen's House is an island in the middle of a river rushing to a waterfall. Surely her body would have been dragged away by the current- obviously no ten-year-old child could swim that? Did she take the boat out in the channel, and how did she manage to get upriver, or was there a boathouse near where they were playing in the first section?

-May
readerfreek chapter 1 . 4/29/2008
love it!
viennacantabile chapter 1 . 4/24/2008
oh, that was so sad and wonderful. brilliantly done, as always.
ab sab chapter 1 . 4/23/2008
Wonderful story! Tragedy, comedy, action, and chatter-is there anything you can't write? Nicely done, Sanar.
Danceronpointe chapter 1 . 4/23/2008
that is so sad and sweet, i love the paper boats too, i wish i knew who sabriel summoned though
Valentine's Riddle chapter 1 . 4/23/2008
That was wonderful! So beautifully written, and really moving at the end. Mogget was perfectly in character, too. I love the way you used the brother-sister relationship, and linked it in to their childhood game, it was such a lovely twist to the origin of the boat (which, by the way, was one of my favourite scenes too! Really eerie!). You write darker fics just as well as you write comic ones, and that's really saying something.

Anyway, I loved it, Favourites list, you know the drill!

Love