Reviews for Chronicles of the Chosen Three: The Motherland
Lykeans chapter 15 . 4/11/2013
Omg! you're awesome for writting this story! I love it!
DarogaDaae chapter 15 . 9/12/2012
This has been beautiful. Your vision of the Gerudo culture is so rich, so rounded, and so fitting of the scraps that we're provided from canon. Ganondorf's sheer, unbridled /humanity/ is stunning, in all of your stories that I've read. The interaction between the three Bearers is frightening, heartwarming, tragic, and hilarious, in turns, but the bond between them is so apparent at all times that it almost feels as though I have been watching a most intimate, private conversation, not meant for my eyes.

You are amazing, and I feel priveliged to have been allowed to read this masterpiece.
Lord Siravant chapter 15 . 6/5/2011
First of all, I have to say that this was beautifully written, and very sad. I feel bad for Ganondorf now. You've made Ganondorf a far more complex and believable character than the games ever could, and probably ever will. Kudos to you for this fine piece of work!
Lord Siravant chapter 11 . 6/5/2011
I take it 'fried goat eggs' are pretty much like 'Rocky Mountain oysters,' then? :/
Sakura's Sonata chapter 9 . 9/21/2009
I love this story! _ Overall, this is a fun read!

Ganondorf is definitely my favorite character. Another reviewer before me got it exactly right - you've given him a sympathetic backround without excusing his actions or making him melodramatic. And you've fleshed out his backstory with such care that I want to know more about the Gerudo society in general.

You've done a wonderful job at taking a usually one-dimensional villian and turning him into a sort of anti-hero for his people who became corrupted at some point. Excellent.

Releysia is wonderful, as well! The plot's thickening at this point, but watching the King interact with Link and Ganondorf is really interesting!

The only critique I have is that the other two bearers, Link and Zelda, seem to have less distinct personalities. They just seem to be there for the ride, making general comments and playing the same support role. There seems to be no distinction between the two; their personalities are almost exactly alike. I know those two have the most in common of the three Bearers, but I don't feel like those two have been shaped to their full potential.

That's a critique I had to really squint to see. You've developed Ganondorf and the Gerudo so well that Link and Zelda are actually better off on the sidelines. Their support is so generic, though, that I almost get tired of them. Almost. As long as Ganon's around, not quite.

A very fun read, and I will keep reading this to the end!

Once I finish playing through Twilight Princess, I'll read through this story's prequel. :) You're an outstanding writer!
VampireNaomi chapter 1 . 2/13/2009
I have spent the past two days reading your Zelda stories, and I am absolutely amazed by how good they are. Your prose is wonderful, always detailed enough to show exactly what is going on without dragging on and becoming boring. Your dialogue is even better and by far the most enjoyable part of your stories. It often works as if it was punctuation, cutting your scenes into various parts that all have their purpose. The characters' emotions are so wonderfully portrayed in what they say that I often read some exchanges several times to enjoy them more.

Your stories are not only great Zelda fics, but they're simply good stories in general. The only games that I am familiar with are Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages/Seasons and Twilight Princess, so much of the backstory and characterization goes straight over my head. Despite that I have loved every moment of your stories because you have made these characters more real than in any of the games and your plots are truly captivating. I am positive that these stories could be enjoyed by even those who have never heard of Zelda before. That is the level of storytelling that most of us never achieve.

I am particularly impressed by your portrayal of Ganondorf. As I said, I don't know the games very well so I don't know how much freedom you have taken with him. Regardless of how true to canon your stories are, you have managed to make him a real character with a fascinating personality. The character development he has been going through in several of your stories has been very impressive. You haven't redeemed him, but you have done a wonderful job of portraying him as a complex character with good and bad sides. You have used just enough angst in the story to make him sympathetic, but you have never tried to excuse his actions, blame them on someone else or make him into an OOC emo angst bag. Those are mistakes that lots of people seem to make when they write stories about villains. I fear I will be very disappointed when I start reading fanfics by others because I have already fallen so strongly in love with your Ganondorf.

The insight you have into the Gerudo culture has been a very enjoyable part of your stories. This was particularly the case in "The Motherland", which I think is my favourite of your stories. I loved all the details, customs, culture and history you gave to the Gerudo. This added a sense of realism into your story that I haven't experienced in most fanfics. The ending of this story was also wonderful; it made me both happy and sad at the same time.

I also like your Link and Zelda. They're both being portrayed as characters who have many virtues but also some weaknesses. Link in particular is interesting because he doesn't speak in the games. It must have been hard to figure out how he would talk, but you have done a very good job at it.

In any case, I just wanted to tell you what a wonderful job you have been doing. I'm not a regular in the Zelda fandom, so I don't know if I will be reviewing more. I simply felt that achievements like yours deserve to be shouted out to the world.
Lupi Loop chapter 15 . 10/27/2008
Excellent story! It kept me gripped right from the start and I loved the ending! Well done!
Saru Wolfe chapter 15 . 10/10/2008
Oh! I'm new to Zelda fanfiction. Is it usual for stories here to be this GOOD?

Where to begin... first off, I'm rather ashamed to say that I'd never really considered Ganondorf in a character sense. He was always just the super-evil badguy that you fought at the end. Now, I read this, and suddenly, he's a complex person! It threw me off guard a tad. I was impressed by the detail you went into with Gerudo culture. And of course, the whole idea that the trio hangs out in between games is quite intriguing. I'll have to read the prequel. This was well-written, too! I didn't spot any grammatical mistakes (Huzzah!), and obviously the characterization was great. It got properly dramatic (and Ganondorf got properly angsty) without drowning your readers in it.

In summation: I love this story!
I Am Sparty chapter 15 . 10/6/2008
I think this ending wrapped things up all nice and neat. I love it when stories do that, no loose ends, with a solid new outlook for the main characters. I especially enjoyed the dialogue in this final chapter, Ganondorf's emotions fully displayed, with you not afraid to write such a sequence. Nothing seemed forced, which helped to make the story flow much better. A fitting sequel to your previous story, and it shows.

I look forward to future works from you, and I also look forward to reading some more of your older stuff as well, since I still have a bit of your library that I feel the need to go through.

-Sparty
Davin Sunrider chapter 15 . 10/6/2008
Wow, what a great ending! I've really liked the themes of death and rebirth in this series, and as another reviewer said, this is a great way to bring things full circle.

As a whole, the story was very interesting and thought-provoking, combining both elements of adventure and drama to make a really good story that I enjoyed very much.

Ganondorf made a good main character, and I think he was depicted very well. The character is depicted in most stories as an evil, vicious tyrant, which he easily could be, but you moved past that to give him believable reasons for what he does, making him a sympathetic character while still keeping the general personality from the original source. He doesn't do evil for the sake of doing evil; he does what he considers necessary to accomplish his goals, which makes him more interesting than your average 'bwahaha' villain.

Speaking of villains, Ridiyah was a great villain, and an excellent foil for Ganondorf, showing their similarities but at the same time vast differences.

Link and Zelda were both good supporting characters, especially as they must once again work with their usual enemy, learning a little more about him in the process. I liked the warrior's respect Link and Ganondorf have for each other by the end of the story.

I also liked the flashbacks scattered throughout the story, and how you artfully used each one to illustrate more on Ganondorf and why he acts the way he does.

All in all, a very enjoyable story, as usual. I look forward to your future work.
Watford chapter 15 . 10/5/2008
Nice way to bring things full circle. I like. Is this the last chapter? Will there be more?
bmanstab chapter 15 . 10/5/2008
Beautiful.

A touching way to give closure to poor Ganondorf. I particularly liked the way you've used flashbacks to flesh out the characters' personalities throughout the fic.

Here's to hoping for more great writing in the future. ] That, and an epilogue.
Alexandra again chapter 15 . 10/5/2008
O_o

Quite a good ending.

I'm very curious as to how a Ganondorf with no memories turns out, though. Will he still turn evil?

And what will Link and Zelda think if THEY remember things, too?

Ek.
Lupanari chapter 15 . 10/5/2008
Great story. I loved it. And that ending was perfect. :D It's a pity that Ganondorf chose not to keep his memories. I don't blame him, though, for choosing that. Oh well, maybe it's for the best.
Davin Sunrider chapter 14 . 9/15/2008
A great chapter, full of spectacular action, drama, and some really good descriptions, especially in the flashback and the end fight.

The flashback in particular gives added weight to Ganondorf's words as he rescues the other two, as the other flashbacks have done for the story so far. I like these hints at Ganondorf's past, showing why he does the things he does, and it really adds to the story.

The fight with Ridiyah was exciting and well-described, with some great dialogue and interaction between the characters. I especially liked the silent exchange between Ganondorf and Link near the beginning.

Myrissa's appearance at the end was also well done, with some great drama in her conversation with the Three. I'm really looking forward to the next installment.