Reviews for Mother and Son
Susan M. M chapter 1 . 12/23/2010
Good story. Makes me glad my husband is out of the National Guard and my son is too young to enlist.
hippiechick2112 chapter 1 . 5/2/2009
omg, great story! it had emotion in there that every parent faces when their child goes off to war. reminds me so much of today. many thanks!
snooky chapter 1 . 4/20/2009
Hey it's me! I'm starting to slowly go through some of the 2008 stories I haven't read before. (for the PBA's) I just love some of the family scenes. I don't know why, I guess I'm just sappy. I love tales that bring a lump to my throat, so I guess this counts. I particularly liked this line:

It was always easy to hug her, and always comforting to be held by her, no matter how old he was, or how much bigger than her he was.

Just as I would picture it!
konarciq chapter 1 . 4/19/2009
Loved it! Especially the ending is something I easily relate, too (even though we dont usually speak English at home), for thats an exchange I had and heard very often!
snooky-9093 chapter 1 . 12/13/2008
Very touching. In my opinion, a man with Hogan's personality has to come from a close family.
Scotty McSpockirk chapter 1 . 9/4/2008
Aw :) that was really good :) and very well written. Keep up the good work!

Heidi
ENester chapter 1 . 8/16/2008
So sweet! Brilliant too, as usual from you. This one reminds me of my own parting scene in my long ago fic _War and the Home Front_. Writing it was one of my favorite parts of the story. Thanks for constantly writing great works LJ.
GHSNEKO chapter 1 . 7/30/2008
sweet and heartwarming... aw
Kits chapter 1 . 6/9/2008
Oh, adorable and sweet.

I love Hogan's youthful idealism (that he never really lost) and the way he's trying to break it to his mom gently.

And his mother! She's perfectly like I would expect Hogan's mother to be: just as witty and fun as him and determined to be strong. Just wonderful. He had to learn it from someone!

This line “You told me that you’re good,” she said, with a smile she was forcing to stay on her face. “You’d better be as good as you say.”

I especially loved. It's a perfectly Hogan thing and a perfectly motherly thing to say.

Even though I was expecting the ending, it got to me still.

So lovely!
Cristy chapter 1 . 6/4/2008
What an incredibly insightful, poignant scene between Hogan and his mum. Given his personality, I could easily picture it happening just like that.

Interesting political comments as well – a sign of the times woven in that makes this all the more realistic. Very compelling piece – thanks for sharing it. :)
Pookwana chapter 1 . 5/5/2008
"That's not enough time for -" With those few words your story spoke to me. How often don't mothers or parents feel exactly that way. There's not enough time for . . .

My heart went out to the mother who may be seeing her son for the last time. How do you squeeze a lifetime into two days?

Then at the end of your story, the only thing they need to say to each other takes place.

"“Hey, mom.”

She looked up, paused. “Yes?”

“I love you.”

What a great ending for this little tale. Yet bittersweet because we know that he will go to war and he will end up captured and his mother will die a thousand times with worry. And will think a thousand times. . . There wasn't enough time.

Thanks for sharing your talents. - Teri
GSJessica chapter 1 . 4/30/2008
This was nice. The scene felt whole, and round, and warm. His mother became quite real in a very rapid, easy way. I really liked the part about 'another country's flag', and the 'good guys' answer.
trissa chapter 1 . 4/26/2008
Well done. How often this may have happened and how often it may NOT have happened - especially when a son knew it would break his mother's heart or if he was underage. Very well done. Face to face, they faced fear, concern and pride; with a chance to hug and find acceptance. It may be a one off - simple but meaningful. I enjoyed it, Linda. Very much.
marylinusca chapter 1 . 4/26/2008
Touching and thoughtful. I like the banter between mother and son to ease the tension of Robert's news. (Shows from where the colonel got his love of quipping.)

I suppose, even though the US was taking a neutral or semi-neutral stance before 1941, a mother with a soldier son would worry, "Will we be drawn into another European war, like in 1917? Will my son have to risk himself?" Perhaps Mrs. Hogan had friends and relatives who fought and died in the Great War. Perhaps her husband was among those who fought.

A lot of folks had to made hard decisions and a lot of other people had to live with them.
IronAmerica chapter 1 . 4/26/2008
Very nice LJ.

I can just imagine this scene perfectly. The words are put together incredibly well, unlike most of the stories I read (outside of HH), and I can just see this as developing into a challenge response I saw once(The challenge was to use "Letters From War" by Mark Shculz). It is an awesome story overall, and one that I enjoy.

-IronAmerica