Reviews for An Unexpected Family
words-with-dragons chapter 1 . 7/24/2012
This was so sweet, I loved it!
BlackGryphon101 chapter 1 . 1/24/2011
Great story.
ArwenJaneLilyLyra chapter 1 . 10/28/2010
Hi! I saw how very dearly you liked reviews (don't we all?) so felt I should tell you what I think of this.

To start with, this isn't really my type of story, but there are so few stories that include Petunia and Dudley after the war that I was intrigued.

Firstly I'm impressed by you not following the trend and either making the Weasleys totally unwelcoming and horrible, or gracious and loving and taking to the Dursleys with open arms and ready smiles. There was work needed for them to be liked, and you showed this. Ginny was difficult, which I liked a lot, and Dudley's reactions to everything were very realistic - the excitement, the wonder, the hints of jealousy that he tried to hide.

I think the initial edge of reluctance on Harry's part was very good. He can't truly hate the Dursleys, because they are, after all, the only real family he has left. And after finding out (at the end of DH) that Petunia had, at one time, been desperate to be a witch herself, pity would soften his view of his Aunt a great deal, I'm sure.

At the same time, you didn't have Petunia as quite so eager and enthusiastic as her son, which was enjoyable to read. She will have had a little over 40 years or around about to get used to hating magic, and her sister, and then her sister's offspring when he was born. She wouldn't just snap back to the young intrigued child she was once on a mere whim. Maybe, in the untold furthering of the story, whose potential you have left open to us, Petunia does open up somewhat, and can one day be happy for Lily - a witch - being her sister, and Harry being her nephew, but until then, however, there will always be a degree of distrust and bitterness.

There are a few things that could maybe be improved on. Twice you use the word 'who' when 'whom' would have been more appropriate, and extra or a lack of commas was noticable at times, but nothing to really take away from the story. I'd just watch the commas really, make sure your sentences flow properly, and if you're unsure, try and read them out loud and see if they make sense.

Sorry! I'm inherently a nitpicker; the more constructive criticism I give, the more I like the story, so please take it as a compliment! This was a very good story and as it has gone midnight, and I am very tired, I will now say no more than thank you, and good night.

Love arwenjanelilylyra x
FirePhoenix86 chapter 1 . 11/7/2008
I really liked this! i can see why you were anxious to see my rendition of the Potter-Dursley reunion, lol! good job!
mollywolly chapter 1 . 6/28/2008
This was really good,I like how Dudley changed a lot.
Lukey chapter 1 . 5/3/2008
Yay this was great work as always, not sure bout Dudley though, didn't seem like a 20 year old, then again, he did have Vernon and Petunia as parents p

Keep up the good work anyways D
MBP chapter 1 . 4/28/2008
Mel, I hope you like it now because I think it's really good. I love the way you had Ginny here because this is exactly how I can see her reacting to all of this. The end was great, too. This is exactly how I'd think that conversation would go. Nicely done!

-Steph
Artemis Fowl II chapter 1 . 4/28/2008
yet another insperational piece of work, please update soon! anything (about harry potter) at all! please? pretty please?

i'll give you a cookie!

General Observation Board
Pati G W Black chapter 1 . 4/28/2008
Really cool!

Love it!
JWOHPfan chapter 1 . 4/27/2008
Great story! I would like to have seen the wedding, but I enjoyed seeing the Dursleys interact with Harry and his family in a positive way.
no one chapter 1 . 4/27/2008
"I think it would feel like a piece of my mom was there physically through them." - whats with the 'mom' americanisation if you're from england? Just wondering. Nice story, was really upbeat.
silverbirch chapter 1 . 4/27/2008
Hmm, I liked that. Nicely underplayed and I thik you got the balance right with Dudley taking the lead and Petunia probably not revealing as much as she wants to.