Reviews for The Cold Truth
Andromakhe chapter 1 . 4/28/2014
This is certainly believable, from a certain angle. It has been a long time since I read the Narnia series, but I distinctly recall disliking Edmund and loving Peter. Wishing Edmund dead is a bit extreme, but Peter does make valid points about Aslan being killed and nearly getting them killed, too. Oh man. The angst I felt when Aslan was on that table. May have to re-read the series one day, possibly in chronological versus publication order.
Book girl fan chapter 1 . 4/27/2014
That's so tragic, to think they may not have cared as much as it seemed.
Guest chapter 1 . 12/17/2013
I forgotten that Nyra becomes Queen Nyra the Radiant when she married Edmund by Aslan. She goes with him wherever he goes as his second-in-command, since she's a great fighter (though doesn't mean that she can't be a girl when necessary).

Sorry for all the updates. Just some things that forgotten to add in the other review. lol :-)
Guest chapter 1 . 12/17/2013
And Lady Nyra will be with Edmund on his trip to Narnia, obviously. :-)
Guestcontinued chapter 1 . 12/16/2013
OH, and Edmund's insignia is a wolf! :-D
Guest chapter 1 . 12/16/2013
It almost sounds like the Parable of the Prodigal Son, does it not? Like the oldest son in the parable, Peter grudges Edmund for becoming a King and surviving because he felt that Edmund didn't deserve to live.

Though I know that Peter loves Edmund to the death quite literally, I do have to congratulate you on making this realistic, as if it COULD happen and WHAT IF it DID happen. A good writer causes the reader to take pause and wonder, thinking about the possibility of a certain character in a 'what-if' scenario.

However, there are several flaws in this possibility, however plausible it may be:

(1) If Peter really DID have this mindset, then either Aslan wouldn't have had allowed Peter become High King for Narnia's sake, or would've had a talk with Peter before the coronation before it got out of hand;
(2) Edmund isn't an idiot. Even though he's ten, he grows up eventually throughout their years in Narnia, and has a closer relationship with Peter (supposedly in this one-shot). Edmund's talented at reading people and would have picked up some kind of bad vibe from Peter eventually;
(3) If Peter WAS even LIKE this, then Aslan might as well have made his brother High King Edmund the Just. After all, on Prince Caspian, that would've reinforced the fact that Edmund is more of a King than Peter ever would have been;
(4) Eventually a secret such as hating Edmund and wanting to be rid of him would've been found out eventually any way necessary, whether it was a slip of the tongue, slip of the facade, caught in the act, getting drunk and confessing it without knowing, talking about the truth in his sleep, someone overhearing or eavesdropping on Peter talking to himself about it or to someone else (such as Susan), etc.

But how far will Peter go if he WAS like this? I think you should do a fanfic on a what-if scenario, where Edmund finds out the truth and runs away for his life, with some loyal guards, by faking his death, and protecting Narnia as an exile by having a fleet of his own as well as followers at his command, as well as under a hidden identity such as, "The Shadow" of Narnia, or "The Black Wolf," or the "Black Fox." Until Aslan sets things right.

Or if there was a battle with Giants, and Edmund was mortally wounded, Peter took the opportunity to dump his half-alive body in a hidden gorge or in a running river, leaving him to his 'death', since 'Edmund doesn't have a chance to survive this time anyway'. He lies that Edmund got captured by Giants or got crushed by two dead Giants on top of him or something. Edmund ends up in Archenland, wakes up and suffering amnesia, where he meets and falls in love with a red-headed, green-eyed noble-woman named Lady Nyra who found him and nurses him back to health, thinking he's a knight (she's partially right, hehehe!).

Eventually, once he's recovered, he and Lady Nyra go to Anvard and finds out who he really is and his memories come back, only to find how he ended up in Archenland and breaks down in betrayed sorrow. Nyra is the only one who's able to comfort him, as well as Aslan, Who comes to him in a dream, telling him that he's needed in Archenland for now, for the country has been plagued by bands of pirates, bandits, slavers, and rogue mercenaries. Two years later and wonderfully married to Nyra, who is pregnant, Edmund helps Archenland from it's problem by disguising himself as a hooded-cloaked and masked ranger known as "The Shadow" and "The Black Fox" by allies and enemies throughout the known world. His court name is Lord Veritas (meaning "Justice"), and is the adviser and top commanders to King Lune, who's aware of his mission by Aslan Himself.

Edmund has an army of rangers who are also masked and cloaked and wear black uniforms that show their allegiance to the Just King and Aslan. They're also, like Edmund, masters of the bow and sword. Edmund has his two swords and a bow as well. He also has a fleet of black ships known for their speed and durability in battle and is feared even more than the Narnian navy (even though that it is secretly part of the Narnian military). Other than his rangers (known as the Shadow Guard), he has wolves, centaurs, owls and other birds of prey, and large cats under his command, who have sworn allegiance to him.

Eventually, King Lune is invited by his siblings to a ball to celebrate Lucy's birthday and tags along with some of his Guard and Wolves by sea along with King Lune and the twins. Once there, they present Lucy with a beautiful ship (by Edmund's design) just for her. She names her the Justice in honor of her "supposedly dead" brother. Edmund is touched, but makes sure that his voice is altered so that nobody recognizes him (he is in his masked and cloaked ranger outfit). King Lune introduces him as Lord Veritas, his chief adviser and one of his top commanders. They wonder why they haven't heard of him before, and he and King Lune say that Edmund was only in that position a few years ago (which is mostly true), and that his name isn't mentioned much for his identity to stay secret.

You can add to what you want with this. What'ya think? You like it?
Guest chapter 1 . 10/17/2013
wow! i loved this
anone.cho chapter 1 . 10/13/2013
i didn't expect this.. well written but cold piece it is!
Thank Aslan he never would have let this actually happen :)
Uyanga chapter 1 . 6/22/2012
I remember reading this story a long time ago, when I didn't have an account. I read it again and I felt chills running down my spine, just like the first time. Amazing job.

U
Wenxi chapter 1 . 12/26/2011
That's so sad! I read your other fics, and they all have this wonderful relationship between Edmund and Peter, and then this one was so different! It was wonderful to see something new though. But now I can't see if everything was fake!

Little side note: I saw your profile; will you still keep us updated on your original work there? And post links when it's done? If you publish, I'd be glad to read it.
Hilariter chapter 1 . 6/21/2011
A terrifyingly well written fic on a very different take on the siblings. It takes everything into account, and is rather scary in the plausibility. I know everyone is all for complete brotherly love, and I do believe that is how they were intended. But one of the fantastic things about Lewis is that his characters were rarely wholly explained and often not completely perfectly good. I am delighted to read such a great piece that takes this to the next level. Thank you so much!
ReviewerWhoBegsForUpdates chapter 1 . 6/20/2011
I love this fic, it just is so out there, and so chilling. I would love to watch the video it was based off of, but the amv has been taken down. Do you have a copy?
ReviewerWhoBegsForUpdates chapter 1 . 5/23/2011
Cold is right! This sent ice down my spine. *shivers*
Crazy Dyslexic Nerd chapter 1 . 4/10/2011
That's chilling. I'd like to know what would happen if Ed found out. Or if Peter ever did come to love his brother, or if Aslan did something about it. A sequalish story?

-Dyslexic Nerd