Reviews for Stone
sapphireswimming chapter 1 . 4/12/2012
Ouch. Wow. This is written so well. That last line was so very hauntingly chilling. Bravo.

Sapphireswimming
Metonomia chapter 1 . 1/27/2010
This is absolutely gorgeous! I always love stumbling across something of yours that I haven't yet read, because I invariably enjoy it.

It's difficult to explain precisely what I like so much about this piece, but I shall try. It has something to do with the fact that the writing is so strong yet so airy and flowing and romantic, but even more with the fact that such lyrical writing is paired with an underlying tone that has real substance to it. Like Susan turning to stone, we can feel the somber weight of the story underneath the beautiful imagery, and it is more than just "words, words, words". A very lovely and well-done one-shot.

Thanks for writing it!
ibelieveintruelove chapter 1 . 12/16/2008
Oh Susan! I feel like this could almost be a sequel to the Unreasonable story with her trying to get in the wardrobe. Her life must have been so dreadfully lonely when she lost her siblings.

Excellent story!
haley t chapter 1 . 6/23/2008
this was BEAUTIFUL. very haunting and very very susan. great job!
rainpaint chapter 1 . 6/14/2008
BWA! *cries* Another amazing Susan fic. I love the little, unconscious ties to Narnia.

"a finer fabric she never has been able to find. Perhaps she only dreamt of it."

"'You look like a queen tonight,' he breathes. She smiles mysteriously."

I love how you showed that Susan is denying reality - she is living a stained glass masquerade. On the outside, she is beautiful and has it all together and is living a great life, but on the inside she has been turned to stone. I also really enjoyed the very long sentence that showed how mundane, how predictable Susan's life has become. She has substituted an amazing life for something shallow and meaningless.
Sleepless Eremite chapter 1 . 6/5/2008
I LOVE the connection to the (White) Witch's powers! This was another nice little piece.
Jennifu chapter 1 . 6/4/2008
Oh! This was so achingly beautiful! The way you string together words to convey emotion is absolutely brilliant. Yes, I can imagine Susan feeling this way post-LB. But I do have to believe she finds her way back by the end of her life!
Mellifluence chapter 1 . 5/30/2008
Absolutely amazing writing, as always.

I stand in awe.
JapanManiac chapter 1 . 5/27/2008
...I always though how sad it is that Susan is left out...
Andi Horton chapter 1 . 5/25/2008
I could have sworn I reviewed this; I'm positive I read it, because as I read it over again I kept thinking "ooh yes I really loved that part" in a sort of delighted recognition . . . I can't imagine why I didn't review! Maybe I read it in my sleep . . ?

In any event, I just want to take that girl and give her a great big hug. You've done a fantastic job of depicting her beau as being hampered by his own inability to understand where Susan has come from and what she's lost; it's the same sort of thing that ties her down, yet she's not beyond moving past it, whereas we're probably safe in assuming he's going to be stuck on the other side of things forever, simply because there's no real, full way for her to communicate to him the majesty of everything she's left behind her.

It's painful to see her so empty and aching, but I don't think I could have believed it if you'd said she was anything else! Her willing blindness ("It is the best. It must be.") is so especially sad, and yet perfectly understandable. After seeing what she has, who could bear to compare it to what she has left? The final line was especial perfection, though, because it hearkens suddenly, sharply back to what she has chosen, for the time being, to forget, and binds that past life to the life she is living now. It also allows the reader the chance to glimpse at least the ghost of the idea that the breath of Aslan is again the only thing that can bring Susan back to warmth and life again.

Gonna wander off to sniffle, now . . .
Expecting Rain chapter 1 . 5/15/2008
This is a beautiful story - I always wondered what happened to Susan after the end of the series (I think this is after everyone else has died...isn't it? I wasn't too sure, but I thought that's what you meant in the reference to the telegram). I especially loved the last line!
Raine Ishida chapter 1 . 5/6/2008
That's what happens when you turn your back on Aslan, Susan.

Sigh. This story made me sad. Brilliantly written, though. It's just a harsh reminder of all that Susan left behind.
fledge chapter 1 . 5/6/2008
It's always good to see something from you. This is another very touching portrait of Susan. A beautiful writng style that emphasises her emptiness and the never-ending repetition of her days. I'm not sure, though, which telegram you are talking about. And I guess this must be before the train crash?
Spouse of Orestes chapter 1 . 5/4/2008
Brilliant as always! I loved that last line and how you used the metaphor of stone on her life.
Miniver chapter 1 . 5/3/2008
It's tremendous to see something from you again! This is very moving, and crushingly sad. It's almost a portrait of post-traumatic stress disorder, which is understandable considering that Susan has lost her entire family. The last two paragraphs are gorgeous and devastating. My hope is always that Susan finds her way home in the end.