Reviews for Phone Call
BlankSpace1009 chapter 1 . 7/26/2012
Aaaah that last line was so perfect. Loved this!
panictowel chapter 1 . 9/26/2010
- "I can't even…can't even get my head around it…I don't even know what to…god, Howard, how do I do this?" - "One step at a time, Vince, that's all. And I'm gonna be there for each of those steps..."

...sweet story, really liked how you portrayed them. and the last sentence - well... that kind of fluff i like D
HalianFromPlanetZork chapter 1 . 7/21/2008
Pure emotion, what a brill story. I felt for poor Vince.
LDNatalie chapter 1 . 5/28/2008
LOVE!

please do a sequel!
brokenmoonlight chapter 1 . 5/8/2008
I definitely remember reading this, and I honestly thought I'd reviewed, so I'm so sorry I didn't!

Such a heartbreaking and tragic story, and for a first attempt - wow.

Vince's delayed grief was absolutely spot on. I have known people who have been through that, and it's just the most awful thing. You handled it perfectly, and with such sensitivity. Howard reacted to it just as mostly anyone would, but at the end he was an absolute rock.

Now I'm going to read the sequel!

xx
Beechwood0708 chapter 1 . 5/5/2008
Wha!

I seriosuly cannot believe that was your first ever fic. I suppose you write original stuff? It was amazing. I'm just really sorry I didn't get round to reading it sooner.

I've never experienced grief like that, and I've never seen anyone else going through it, but the way you wrote it made it seem incredibly realistic despite that. Those stages of nervousness and shock and rage and the eventual breakdown were all really well written, and utilising Howard's concern and confusion was the perfect way to explore them- it helps us to relate a lot more as people who aren't (or at least probably aren't) experiencing Vince's emotions at this moment to see the situation through the eyes of a close observer like Howard. And then of course Howard's confusion mirrors Vince's confusion, which gets across just how odd and confusing grief like that must be. It's really thoughtful, and the emotons come through perfectly.

The banter at the start is absolutely wonderful too. The playful, mock-annoyed dynamic is so cute, and you write it really well, and all the dialogue is perfectly in character. Howard describing Vince as "the illegitimate lovechild of Freddie Mercury and a French Duke" made me grin so much- it's so funny, so Howard and so just plain cute. And the lighthearted atmosphere here is a brilliant contrast to the grief later, which makes that seem even more strange and unnerving. That slight hint of UST underneath was written in perfectly too- it's never overplayed, and the subtlety of Howard thinking it but pushing it aside to comfort Vince in his hour of need seems very real and very sweet. And I like the way you leave it ambiguous as to how Vince might potentially feel in return to this. Howard's thoughts and reflections on the things he says, the way he seems cautious but still brightly hopeful, is very very him. This whole fic is just generally beautiful.

I don't know if you're planning to write a continuation to this, but if so, I'll be very excited to see it. Or if not, I can't wait to see anything else you write.

luv ya

x
chugirl2526 chapter 1 . 5/3/2008
aw poor vince (my new favourite review saying ), shame about his parents. at least he got with howard in the end
violence4 chapter 1 . 5/3/2008
aww, i don't know whether to smile or cry!

the bit about Vince's parents was really sad... and i mean REALLY sad, the way he didn't know how to react to it. *sniff*

but then that ending was just SO sweet. so ultimately adorable. the most adorable thing i've read for ages! it just made me go all fuzzy.

and the last line... *squeals* adorable! and all the feelings behind it made it even more adorable!

i would maybe like a sequel? ;)

oh, and welcome to fanfiction! love your name, hehe.

xx
electricskeptic chapter 1 . 5/3/2008
Oh, you have nothing to be nervous about, this was gorgeous. The emotion was so raw and real, and it was all written absolutely beautifully. Can't wait to hear more from you.

-C.V. x
redlaces chapter 1 . 5/3/2008
That was brilliant, you write really well. I look forward to reading more of your stuff :)