Reviews for Fortune or Fate
LoneWolf218 chapter 1 . 5/11/2012
Oh, he totally planned it. There's just to many "coincidences" to be chance. That senile old man act, I'm so not fooled, I'm on to you, Gammel!

Great work as always
RansMuse chapter 1 . 2/14/2011
I just wanted to leave a note saying how much I adore your GrimGrimoire stories. I actually just finished playing the game recently, and I can thank you for getting me turned to the game. I had seen your Nanoha fanfics and, wanting to see what else you had written, poked through your list and found this genre to explore. Your stories about Lillet and Amoretta completely enchanted me, so I finally found a copy of the game and played through it. Though I'm not a fan of RTSstyled games, I completely fell in love with the characters, the setting, and the beauty of the game. When I go, 'holy crap, even the loading screen looks awesome!' I know I've found something wonderful.

So many thanks for hooking me onto this game. And your stories just breathe even more life into the characters and make me love them all that much more.

Many apologies for not leaving a note for each story, but you've written quite a few! :) So I've chosen my favorite one to leave this review. It just reflects Lillet's cunning and intelligence to completely outline the Xanatos Gambit that Gammel may or may not have orchestrated. It was this one that had me the most hooked, because I couldn't help but wonder if Lillet in the game was just as crafty as you had portrayed. And yes... yes, indeed she was. I don't think I've ever been so impressed by a character's sheer brazen ballsiness and having the craftiness to make it work. So awesome. XD

I apologize for the rambling. Once again, thank you for the lovely stories that completely got me hooked onto the game.
Spikesagitta chapter 1 . 7/10/2010
what? ...aww man, what a cliffie _ letting us decide if it was all planned...

heh, i had time, so i thought i might as well look up some old fics, this one caught my eye in your long list of written fics :)
Wolf-of-Five-Elements chapter 1 . 12/31/2009
Hmm... interesting idea. I've never even thought of that... hmm...
grimAuxiliatrix chapter 1 . 12/29/2008
You know, I really did have a hard time keeping up with the game's plot. Everyone's personal agenda and ulterior motives entwined so carefully... It would have required rapt attention to detail to be able to figure everything out on someone's first play through (I'll probably have to replay the game myself just to figure everything out, though I suppose I could just go back and watch all of the cut scenes again...)

Great work on this, although I'm a bit miffed that you left the ending open. I really don't think Gammel manipulated the whole set of incidents - he did end up fainting a few times in the game, which implies a weak constitution and certainly not a mind tempered for trickery, so I find that unlikely. But, who knows? He could very well have been the manipulative Dumbledore type, and we none the wiser.
DreamShadower chapter 1 . 11/20/2008
Curse you gravity! ... Wait wrong thing. Curse you Dezopenquin!

Now I can't choose between him intentionally doing it, or it being a complete fluke... brain. hurts. .
Sunder the Gold chapter 1 . 9/7/2008
There seem to be two points not addressed here, in this story.

One is why, if Gammel supposedly knew the location of the Philosopher's Stone, did he not get rid of Calvaros's soul? But between Advocat and Lujei, he probably couldn't have kept that a secret, and that would have been a red flag to anyone keeping tabs on the situation. (Prince Hiram, for instance, might have gotten wind of it, and not trusted Gammel.)

Second is, how did Gammel bypass the Stone's defenses? He might have destroyed them all and replaced them with his own, but they likely wouldn't have resisted Lillet if they were his - unless it was meant as a challenge and test, to make sure she was ready. But, would Gammel even have the mastery of the Archmage to wield all four schools of magic? (At the same time, the Archmage's ghost never *did* use Glamour or Alchemy, two schools that Gammel *does* make use of. With enough time, perhaps Gammel could have created such full defenses.)

Even supposing he couldn't reach it, it's possible he only needed to know where it was - that as one of the creators of the Stone, Gammel possessed enough of a link to it to manipulate it remotely, and was able to perhaps pass on any such link to Lillet without anyone knowing.

In any case, I'm content with the ambiguous ending to this story. I myself still can't tell which answer I prefer (grace of God or cunning of man), and this way I can amuse myself equally with each possibility.

However, if Advocat and Gammel make a future appearance in your stories, an exact resolution might be important as to how Lillet and Advocat react to Gammel - mostly fortunate or mostly cunning?
EAnIL chapter 1 . 5/4/2008
Hi AnIL here!

Ahh, Yes your right. Gammel he is really Dumbledore but i think that its best to think that they both from the same family also did you notice that Gammel and Dumbledore looks alike Gammel just on the chabby side? on anothere note this is the best work you done that i ever read _ i cant wait whats going to happen next _ so i'll be waiting!

PS. also pls make anothere Lillet/Amorietta in Amorietta POV coz its really nice to read what on her head.

You're Loyal Fan EAnIL _
Rikaishi chapter 1 . 5/4/2008
That's an interesting take on the plot's central coincidence.

Almost every plot has these unexplained coincidences which are usually seen as necessary to make an interesting story, and many avid readers learn to "tune out" the dissonance this causes, so I never bothered to wonder why Lillet was trapped in such a convenient period of time.

Usually however I just flip the coincidence on it's head. It's not that the main character was coincidentally at the right place and time for an event, but that an event happened which chose the main character for our story.