Reviews for Partially Kissed Hero
Fyrecat chapter 103 . 3/22
I have really enjoyed reading this story up to this point. I hope you pick it back up again.

Thanks for a fun read!
Dawn Darkling at Gmail.Com chapter 43 . 3/21
Your author's note describes exactly why I love this story! Most other stories don't have as much effort put into them as this one. In fact, I also happened to believe everything that you said in the note, myself.
Isa Lumitus chapter 42 . 3/21
I usually try to be nice in reviews. But I feel the need to say, this chapter was painful to read. Practically the entire thing is rather unrelated to the story so far, and by your AN, it was mostly a result of arguments with other readers.

Next, you tried to use high-tech descriptions (of sub-atomic particles) to explain why high-tech stuff won't be useful. That does not work. Normally, I'm willing to suspend my disbelief in technology not working. The proper way to do that is say, "Because magic". If you try to give reasons, your story just makes less sense.

Also, your story about guns not working around fey in part because they are metal flies in the face of most myths of fairies. Traditionally, iron resists fairy magic, instead of being more susceptible to it.

Overall, it feels like you took an axe to the internal canon you've been building, and you did it because you wanted to annoy some jerks who found your writing interesting enough to discuss.
Isa Lumitus chapter 38 . 3/20
I think I love Bellatrix, now. That performance was awesome.

The throw-up-because-you're-disgusted-with-yourself thing is kinda cliche, though. A bit more original is getting the memories obliviated so you don't have to remember doing the deed. But I've seen that, too. What I haven't seen is someone contemplating the obliviate, and then refusing it, because without the shameful memories, he could do something similar again.
Isa Lumitus chapter 35 . 3/20
You know, backing off from Prof. Dumb would be the correct move to make... If they didn't have time turners to (ab)use to get all the time they needed to come up with new problems for him.

I'm reminded of self defense advice that I would totally give out if anyone asked me. If you manage to hit the guy and stun him, keep hitting him until someone pulls you away. Sure, you might get manslaughter charges if the courts dislike you... But it's better than dead.
Isa Lumitus chapter 32 . 3/20
Prof. Dumb just earned his nickname. He has what is effectively a mind control device controlling the entire nation, and even he (the supposed Dark Ravenclaw) cannot duplicate it? Seriously, for wanting knowledge so much, him not knowing how to make that printing press is flat out unbelievable.

I have a second, and IMO more glaring plothole. How did Prof. Dumb get revived the first time? He got dosed with malaclaw venom immediately before he died and was revived. Shouldn't that level of ill-luck caused the resurrection to fail catastrophically and destroy his horcrux or something?

For that matter, some of that venom probably leaked out of his corpse, and contaminated the horcrux... Which should cause ill-fortune to befall subsequent revival attempts.
Isa Lumitus chapter 30 . 3/20
... That printing press. Nice, but what if someone were to use it to reveal it's existence to the world? Especially if that someone broke the press right after?

The problem with secret technologies like this is that for it to remain secret, there can't be very many people capable of repairing it. Mostly because those same people could duplicate it, and then it doesn't stay secret.

This goes right back to what I was saying about how Prof. Dumb has too many things that require his direct oversight.
Isa Lumitus chapter 29 . 3/20
Considering how arthritic the magical economy is, you'd think that people would (illegally) get around the monopolies by buying muggle goods. There's a limit to how much can believably be done by the government.

Then again, I have a running theory. All the smart muggleborn left the wizarding world. They've been doing that for generations, and now there's a second, not-stupid, set of magical nations hiding from the old mages until they have enough numbers to not fear invasion. The muggleborns too stupid to leave married into the old-bloods, and thus reinforced the mental retardation most purebloods suffer from.
Isa Lumitus chapter 27 . 3/20
Yes! A kindred spirit who not only dislikes Ron/Hermione, but finds it outright offensive! I never read book 7 before I started in on fanfiction, so I had some funny assumptions about pairings. I thought Ron/Hermione was a fanon thing caused by people wanting to pair the smart girl with the idiot boy-child (A surprisingly common pairing, sadly). I then thought that Harry/Ginny was just pair-the-spare.
Isa Lumitus chapter 25 . 3/20
I'm gonna call bullshit on muggles having accidentally killed a significant number of dryads with forest fires. My father does wildland firefighting in the summer, so I know a little about it.

1) Forest fires rarely kill the largest and oldest trees. The way they lose lower branches is actually an adaptation to protect the important bits.

2) Humans cause an insignificant increase in number of fires. Yes, we start them all the time... But so do lightning strikes. And the worst fires are in the places that haven't had one in a while. So that means that the occasional idiot who lets a campfire get out of control does little damage that wasn't going to happen anyway.

3) Some evergreen trees need fire to release their seeds. Since seeds are enough to save a dryad's life, evergreen dryads would have little to fear, and may feel a kinship to phoenixes.

At least in North America, the worst fire-related harm we did was fighting the fires too successfully. This allowed fuel to build up to cause more destructive fires later. Any damage muggles did would either be from clear-cutting, or what we do in rainforests, where we burn it, then turn the land into farms.
Isa Lumitus chapter 23 . 3/20
While I will acknowledge that this Prof. Dumb is a better manipulator than most, there are two key flaws in his strategy:

1) He's too focused on one idea, and thus fails to make smart use of Xanatos gambits. Rather than come up with a convoluted scheme to put Harry back with the Dursleys, why not instead arrange for him to end up somewhere else equally bad? That would add a layer of deniability, and let the insects falsely believe that they are making progress.

2) It seems like too many of his plots require actions out of him. True, he can get more time with a turner... But it adds a failure point. If he were smart, he'd set more of his schemes to run without his constant guiding hand. He's juggling too many balls, and like with juggling, once you drop one ball, you usually lose them all.

Effectively, he's trying to run at his maximum capacity, which means that he has no reserves left to react with if someone breaches his current measures.

Result: There is no way he can fight two players (Voldie and Harry) at the same time.
Isa Lumitus chapter 20 . 3/20
I'm going to have to disagree with you. There's a second reason they were successful at pulling one over on Prof. Dumb. He got greedy, and grabbed too much information at once. Due to the amount of non-important stuff he had to dig through, he couldn't react fast enough to the important alerts. By your own description, the start of the year is effectively a blind spot for him at the time, even if he gets through it eventually.

I guess the feasibility of my own theory depends on whether Prof. Dumb can process the data, turn back time, and be able to react to the data while it's still fresh.
Nihatclodra chapter 103 . 3/20
So... it's been 3 years... PLEASE update? Please...?
T51b Moridin chapter 11 . 3/19
Woah shit. That was some hella logical arguments. Talk about crazy. Loved it all the same.
Isa Lumitus chapter 12 . 3/19
Wait. Let me get this straight. Fire-crab shells are very valuable. It can take decades (or centuries) for them to reach appropriate sizes. They are endangered. And there's a way to regularly get their shells without killing them?

I know wizards are stupid, but this is amazing. They NEED the statute of secrecy. They're too dumb to live if they catch the eye of muggles as a whole.
14,692 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »