Reviews for Even Now
Beechwood0708 chapter 1 . 5/11/2008
Agh, I feel really bad now, leaving it this long to review when I got a dedication and everything. Sorry huni, and thanks :-D

Again, this was seriously amazing. The whole fic just had this constant tenderness about it, which was so sweet in the way that Howard cares for Vince and does his utmost to give Vince exactly what he needs, yet so sad too as he puts himself through such self-denial to do it, and the way they're both going through such strong emotional turmoil. Vince's worry over what to wear for the funeral was wonderful- the way he panics over what people will think of him is so him, but relating that to a situation where he's so far out of his comfort zone just brings out so much sympathy. Despite having never seen him in a situation like this before, this just seems the exact way he would act. His worries, and how Howard tries to soothe them, make him seem quite childlike and so vulnerable, it really is sweet in a sad sort of way.

The lighthearted banter after Vince has thrown up was lovely too. It's got that sort of reassuring quality to it, the happy sheen over the underlying sadness, if this is making sense, so there's a sort of sense of strain about it, which complements Howard's worries about whether it's appropriate when Vince is grieving really well. That nervousness about upsetting him, and the sweetness of when he gets over it and plays along is just so adorable and seems so realistic, and the loss of that nervousness comes as a sort of relief, that there's a hint of brightness under all the sadness.

And the bit where they're in bed is one of the most adorable things ever. Vince's inarticulateness when he's asking Howard if he can stay with him just seems so him, you've got his speech down perfectly, and that awkwardness comes out so well through it. And the part where he cries is just so unbelievably tender, it's beautiful. Howard being so caring while Vince is so vulnerable- awh, it's too gorgeous for words. And the emotional confusion of both of them, the way both are in love but Howard wants to put Vince's needs first and Vince is ashamed because he thinks he's disprespecting his parents' memory- it's so complex, but you put it across so well. It really is amazing.

This is a difficult subject emotionally, and a difficult one to write about, but this story is absolutely stunning, you've hadnled the issue so well. And the tenderness just made me melt.

luv ya

x
electricskeptic chapter 1 . 5/8/2008
Oh, that was just beautiful, a perfect follow-up to the first one. Vince's emotional turmoil felt very real and palpable, and there were some especially heart-rending bits in there, like at the start when he's trying to find something suitable to wear, and when he's confused over his feelings for Howard when he should be grieving for his parents. Both of those were very appropriate reactions to the situation, I think.

And when he asks Howard to hold his hand... that was just gorgeous, you can really sense the desperation there. And again, the wanting to delay the relationship from developing until a better time was very realistic, and more than a little sad.

As for that last line... took my breath away. You have skills as a writer, no doubt about that.

If you want to reply to a review, just click the little speech bubble next to it, underneath the name of the author who submitted it. Don't worry, we were all newbies at one stage. Took me about a month to figure out this site, but then I am a world-renowned technophobe.

Anyway, enough talking from me. Great little oneshot, and I look forward to more of your stories.

-C.V. x
brokenmoonlight chapter 1 . 5/8/2008
Hot weather and tears don't go very well together, and now my head hurts, but that isn't a criticism, it just means the story did what it was supposed to and I am absolutely in love with it!

Seriously, seriously crying here. The way you write grief and human reactions is just astounding. Vince worrying about his clothes is a normal thing for him to do anyway, but doing it in this situation, worrying that he didn't have anything formal enough for a funeral, really got me. Howard making him see that he should just be himself, that his parents would be proud, as was he, was beautiful. In fact, right the way through this, Howard stunned me - in a good way! We all know he likes to big himself up, but he usually falters when faced with anything even slightly scary, which just goes to show just how important Vince is to him, and when it comes to something like that, that there is nothing he wouldn't do for him. He really pulled through for Vince and was his rock, and that was just amazing. And when he was angry at himself for thinking about how he wanted to kiss him, I just wanted to hug him, because he really didn't need to be so harsh on himself.

Now, Vince... Vince just broke me. Everything he did and said was completely real. Asking Howard about seating arrangements in the church and asking if he counted as family (which, to Vince, he obviously does) because he needed him to hold his hand, was when I started to tear up. And then, again, his delayed reactions - not crying in church, being sick and then finally sobbing his heart out to Howard and his guilt at thinking about his friend in a romantic way when he should be focused completely on his parents, finished me off - or so I thought, until this bit:

“And right now…I just need…I need a friend…I need my best friend.”

“I’m always gonna be your best friend.”

Yeah, that did it.

Now I demand fluff, whether it's a new story or a continuation, because, really, smudged eyeliner and mascara is SO not a good look. Well, at least, it's not for me.

Seriously love you. Although not in a freaky way, so don't be scared!

xx
violence4 chapter 1 . 5/8/2008
so, so happy you did a sequel!

Vince suddenly criticising his own clothes was so heartbreaking... it really got across how he'd suddenly realised that his life was shallow after his parents died.

and the bit when he wanted Howard beside him in the church! *eyes well up*

Howard's protectiveness was just gorgeous. he's such a darling, i do love him.

and the bit in the bed!

oh my god!

i thought you handled it SO well... having Vince pull back because he wasn't ready was difficult to read, because like Howard i wanted them to get together, but it was so realistic. Vince admitting how he felt was so sad and so sweet as well! and Howard's reaction... *squees and sobs at the same time*

oh, i just love heartbreaking fluff!

and you do it brilliant.

and i just love the ending.

another sequel? teehee.

love you!

xx

P.S. when people review you should get an email to your inbox saying Review Alert for the story. go into the email and there will be the review as well as two links, the link to the profile of the reviwer and also the Review Reply URL. click the review reply (obviously) and you're away!

alternatively, you can just private message people if you click their names. it'll take you to their profile and the message link is right at the top. :)
BAILETTE chapter 1 . 5/8/2008
Wow, i could deffinately feel every emotion that was being portrayed in those scenes. AW just amazing, epic, brilliant.

The funeral was so intense and when Vince was trying to tell Howard how he feels about him was well... AWSOME!

I feel like this story could last forever, please write more like this :D

Well done 10 gold stars for you my love!
chugirl2526 chapter 1 . 5/8/2008
aw this story is so sad, but sweet bless howard for looking after vince like that, it must be so hard for vince :( lovely sequal :)
redlaces chapter 1 . 5/7/2008
Wow, you did a sequel, amazing! Loved this part too, detailed and understated and totally believable :)