Reviews for Jack To The Future : A Random Chronicle
Yuki Suou chapter 15 . 9/20/2013
You really did a lot of research. I'm from India, and imagining Jack Sparrow (oops, Cap'n Sparrow ;)) towing along with Gandhi is hilarious, to say the least. :)
Yuki Suou chapter 10 . 9/16/2013
By far, this is my favourite chapter :)
MayaStormborn chapter 1 . 7/18/2013
I'm curious, the line he 'blew', could it be he mistook "If he wants to call his crown his own" and instead sang "If she wants to call her crown her own" remembering dear Lizzie?
graypheonix chapter 9 . 6/17/2013
Hmmm, truly, the world is amazing, the universe even more so...so how can one not just desire to get up and walk it forever? Immortality is awesome, and don't ever forget it. Update again soon, ja ne.
linkhyrule5 chapter 9 . 4/9/2013
'Tis a shame you didn't write this after /At World's End/. Immortal Davy Jones Will is plenty of incentive for Elizabeth to bathe in the fountain, and then there's three.
Ely chapter 11 . 12/21/2012
Your fic is good, but you used Google translate or similar literal useless translator. The effort was commendable, though, but they're wayyyyy toooo literal.

*Specially* argentinians (they *vosean* down there; instead of tú they use vos).

'abducción!- "secuestro" is far more adequate in use and context.

"¡Consiga trabajar!" - ¡Vaya y trabaje! (go and work)/ ¡Vaya, trabaje! / ¡Vuelva al trabajo! / ¡Hala, trabaje! . You translated from "get to work". Seriously, anything would be better.

¿Qué usted está haciendo aquí, extranjero? - ¿Qué vos hacés por estos lares, forastero?

Me confunde / No le conozco, Don señor / usía / su mercé (adjusting for time period). Quisiera saber quién soi vos.

Somos gauchos - Somos unos / Somos un par de gauchos.
No particular reason other than we are long-winded. (To make up for it we speak reaaaally fast)

Me he escapado de la Marina de guerra Española. Me secuestraron para ser un esclavo a bordo de su nave. - Me escapé de la Armada Española y fui secuestrado para ser esclavo a bordo.

Necesito un lugar permanecer. Estoy dispuesto a trabajar. Mi nombre es Jack. - Necesito un lugar para quedarme.
No other caveats there.

Yo soy Ricardo Moreira. ¿Puede usted montar? - Soy Ricardo Moreira. ¿Sabés ir a caballo?
When we talk about a skill that needs training (unlike singing, who everybody can do although not everybody can o profficiently), we don't say "being able to" (poder) we say "to know through understanding or learning" (saber).

Usted puede venir con nosotros para ahora. Descubriremos si hay trabajo para usted. - Por ahora podés venir con nosotros. Veremos si hay trabajo pa' vos.
Pa' is just a day-to-day corruption of "para". The first sentence order is all screwy because in Spanish the thing emphasised comes first, usually is the person or subject we are talking about but not always. In this case I would imagine that "for now" would be mroe important. They don't want to be saddled forever with them.

Éste tiene buenas maneras. Su nombre es Perla. - Ésta es educada. Se llama Perla.
You're referring to something femenine so subject is feminine and when talking about animals names for some reason we'd rather say "it calls itself" rather than "its name is".

Es nada.- No es nada.
Funny thing: Nada is a negative nour. You still haven't negated the verb. Especially when you talk of being ("ser"). We, unlike English, do double negatives becuase it's the gramatically correct thing to do. Yeah, I know.

Good stuff, though :D
eekfrenzy chapter 1 . 12/12/2012
Just found this one (from a link on TV Tropes, of all places) and think it's absolutely inspired. The few chapters I've read so far are fantastic. Looking forward to reading all of this one - and I love the historical information and references.
MasterShaper chapter 40 . 9/11/2012
This was a most enjoyable read - particularly so given that I have a fondness for stories that touch on death's more ignored aspects.

Jack saw the world, and saw people who moulded history. Sort of something I could appreciate.

And of course, your grammar and the level of research put into this work are highly commendable.

Perhaps we'll meet again over another of your works.

Till next time,
MS
kiyaarthesamurai chapter 10 . 12/14/2011
THIS IS SO GOOD. I almost cried. Jack and his beloved.
Bokmal14 chapter 7 . 6/16/2011
I like these little ficlets very much, and found it reassuring that I was able to understand the japanese, since it was a long time since I studied it.
sm.bean chapter 16 . 4/19/2011
The way you wrote Seth's tragedy being in such parallel with Jack's reflections was interesting and actually I found it a bit poetic. The ending, when Jack is speaking to the sea, and I may be reaching, to Calypso, was exceptionally moving.

""Don't imagine you hide yer nature from me, wench. I know yer prone ta killing them what are most fond of ye. I've had more years 'en anyone ta witness such. I'm verra well aware, you might do as much ta me, someday.

"An' that doesn't change a thing. My first an' greatest love is still the sea.""

Moving, as always.

Another great addition that I must thank you for sharing.

-bean.
Mornwey chapter 40 . 3/7/2011
While I won't pretend I wasn't disappointed by the confirmation that there will be no Sparrington, I've stayed up inadvisably late for a weekday night with class in the morning, and thoroughly enjoyed this fic. I would like to register my undying love for it, your writing style, and you in general :)
sm.bean chapter 13 . 3/2/2011
"It was an interesting recent discovery that the prospect of shine wasn't the only thing capable of stirring his blood so. Oh, he was anticipating payment for this service; just a lot less than he'd usually require to take such risks. But he also felt a certain sense of obligation. There was a job to do here, and he was easily the best qualified to do it.

Jack snorted, stroking his shaved chin. Perhaps he was getting older, Fountain or no." - Quite a profound realization from our beloved pirate. It was interesting to read his line of thought here.

It was also interesting to read, in your author's notes, that the actual captain of the Providence was indeed a pirate ("They took 3 prizes on this return voyage.") Probably the Crown did view all of the Colonial sailors as pirates during the Revolution time period.

Again (as always) another wonderful addition to JttF. So genuine and well formulated.

-bean.
gingernut224 chapter 1 . 2/23/2011
This is a truly magnificent, excellent story that, with no doubt in my mind, I will read again and again and again. I love how you've incorperated Jack into many historical moments - and how he acts exactly how he would in the films. And adding Norrington was a wonderful touch - I've come to see him in a new light from reading this and your other fics - which are just as beautifully written as this. Thank you for bestowing such brilliant stories upon unworthy writers such as myself - and I hope there are more to come! :) x
ChinduPOD chapter 40 . 2/1/2011
This was absolutely brilliant. I love how you've incorporated Jack into the annals of history in some decidedly humorous and interesting ways. Also, the Commodore from the past was a nice touch. I'm off to read the sequels. Again, amazing job.
277 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »