Reviews for Jack To The Future : A Random Chronicle
mrsgeneralstanley chapter 7 . 1/5/2011
Sorry as an Australian I really have to object to you spelling Sydney with a 'i' :)
sm.bean chapter 11 . 9/17/2010
As I read this chapter, I felt the same lull as when reading Larry McMurtry's Dead Man's Walk, which comes from Jack being press-ganged and having 'to walk a fair distance to be somewhere other than Nowhere' the gauchos and your grand descriptions of the Pampas. Miguel's and Jack's conversation at the end did remind me of Gus and Call. Jack being Gus, of course.

'Our lives are blown like foam, or chaff, on the wind.' -love this line.
sm.bean chapter 10 . 9/17/2010
This chapter is lovely, the telling of Teague's and Jack's final moment (the man and his son). As depressing as it is in the 'black and white' of Teague's death, you penned a very beautiful account of it. Very dignified.

'The P brand was still visible, though now devoid of any social stigma. Nobody was on the lookout for that indicator anymore, nor likely to recognize it upon notice. When somebody did ask, Jack explained it was the result of a childhood accident, or a ritual scarification, depending on his mood.'

-loved this bit. Very in character.

'He would swear, on all his remaining years, that the carved face smiled in welcome.' -this is the perfect last line. Now I understand why Jack is so for Lysee earning her scuba certification!

sm.bean chapter 9 . 7/14/2010
This is a very unique piece.

Even if the majority of the chapters in this story are not in chronological order, this particular chapter shows character growth as Jack attempts to comes to grips with the passing of Gibbs, the Age of Piracy, Will, Elizabeth, and especially of Willy's, and then finds himself examining the ups and downs of his longevity. Loneliness vs. immortality. Living with himself forever.

The part when we get a look into Jack's own view of his impotency not only showed more of this growth, but also showed a whole other side of our favorite rogue.

"The waters might undo it sometime, though there's no predicting when. 'Tis a 'deficiency' that didn't bother me at all, fer the first several decades afterwards, but now..."

He's enjoyed not having to worry about illegitimate offsprings from his numberous dalliances (pirate!), then he spent time with Willy, and finds himself opening up to the idea of parenthood.

Master Sao (you) nailed Jack here: "So many years behind him, yet still so much the child. Though unbecoming in some ways, this could serve him well." - I really liked this line.

Another great piece,

sm.bean chapter 8 . 7/8/2010
Ah, a load of human cargo Jack can pride himself in for delivering.

"I'd upgraded my engine ta deal with just such a contingency, you see- years of experience have taught me the crucially of speed." After having command of the Fastest Ship in all the Caribbean, the Black Pearl, of course Jack would not settle for less in whatever present he finds himself in!

"An' I wanted ta remind that chit in the blouse; 'tis a different time an' place now, eh?" Once a pirate, always a pirate!

Another lovely piece.

sm.bean chapter 6 . 6/21/2010
Another fun chapter! I really enjoyed this part:

'All (for once) without any serious mishaps.

Oh, he'd had to wrestle with some disagreeable memories whilst perusing White Sands. And there'd been that incident in Vegas, when he'd been caught with that extra ace and had to make a fast & messy exit through the kitchens. But nothing to ruin the fun, eh?' Caught cheating at cards, such a pirate.

I found Giles and Angus (Murtogg and Mullroy - very clever) funny with the hippy characteristics you gave them. It was easy for me to picture the two in tie-dye and bandanas and smoking.

'They'd proved to have a too-frequent habit of getting too stoned to drive.' - :) so grin-worthy.

Also enjoyed Scarlett's and Giselle's tie in through your Roxy and Belinda characters. The way Jack acts around them is so reminiscent of the way he is around Scarlett and Giselle in Tortuga. I felt nostalgic, thinking of AWE when he is leading them to docks for their ride on the Pearl.

Great yet again, Jennifer.

sm.bean chapter 5 . 6/15/2010
Wow. This was dark, intense, and exciting! You captured a riveting and dramatic atmosphere in this story that really pulled me in.

'Great surprise- his strike clanged hard against another blade, far longer than his own.

Greater surprise- with practiced skill, the blocked knife was twisted from his grip.

Terrible surprise- a savage blow, driven with unwomanly strength, piercing deep into his midsection!'

and

'The brute's dying eyes bulged with impotent fury, wide fingers clawing at the mortar. "You're...!"

"Aye, I am! So you can perceive the family resemblance. Regrettably, I can say the same regardin' you!" The smaller man spat. "I'd scarce of thought it possible, but you've turned out an even viler bastard than yer great-great-great granddad!"

Very suspenseful!

sm.bean chapter 3 . 6/12/2010
The pace of this piece was gripping and exciting. It is fitting for Jack to take a side in the Civil War knowing his disgust from the (pre?)films with the slave trade.

I enjoyed the idea that Jack had a commaraderie with President Lincoln. It is details like this that always draw me in to your stories. I did have to read about the Siege at Fort Hudson to gain a better appreciation for its mention in the story. A very bloody battle.

-I'd call 'em 'faint-hearted wenches', but that'd be an insult to the wenches.-

-A nearby deck hand muttered, "Crazy Spaniard."

"Half-Spaniard!" his commander barked, just to make the rotter jump.-

I particularly loved these two lines. They're so Jack. Even when deeply engrossed in a serious situation, he remains in pirate character.

Great piece. (as always!)

sm.bean chapter 2 . 6/12/2010
It is hard to imagine what it must have been like for the afflicted few who did survive that tragedy and had to watch as so many around them died in such a horrific way. So helpless and hindered.

-Jack looked squarely at that spot, covering neither eyes nor ears against the distant splashes and plaintive cries of dying people in the water. Not even as quiet slowly descended, with all it’s awful implications.- Very emotional. The growing quiet must have been gut-wrenching.

Very powerful writing.

Harm Marie chapter 40 . 3/5/2010
I loved this series. I think that adding James was perfect.
Ryo Nightray chapter 2 . 3/3/2010
I must say that I've been wanting to read this for a while. And what a treat!

Fenomenal writing and jsut sheer... wow,I can't describe it!

Jack as an actor was brilliant, and the Titanic's sinking left me shredded with emotion.

Jack is in prefect character too.

On to read more! ;)
missoswiin chapter 3 . 1/8/2010
Wow, this is brilliant! I love the writing style, and you've got Jack's character really well. He has difficulty refraining from attacking the posh Upper class. It's great he met Abraham Lincoln. Can't wait to read more. :)
AliceAddams13 chapter 6 . 11/18/2009
woodstock! I was trying to figure out what this one was.
damsel-in-stress chapter 6 . 10/17/2009
This story is indescribably awesome! I can’t think of a more intellectual way of expressing how simply amazing this is! XD

Firstly, the idea is totally original. There are also so many possibilities for different places, people events, and emotions. The reader roller-coasters along the various situations with Jack and in each separate chapter can be lightly amused then violently heartbroken. There was so much pathos in the Titanic chapter that I actually felt teary eyed but then the revolution one simply made me grin at the quips and private jokes on the similarities between Jack and his ‘father’.

I love the way you insert various PotC characters into the future, and again this invokes such different feelings in the reader. Beckett’s descendant in the Jack the Ripper chapter was seriously creepy, I was truly quite freaked out, and Belinda and Roxy, or perhaps Scarlett and Giselle, last chapter left me biting back a laugh.

When I get the time I will most definitely be back to finish this story.

It isn’t often that I come across fanfiction that is so clever, as well as being so readable and enjoyable as this. Fantastic job!

~Damsel :)
TwoClovedHooves chapter 21 . 9/26/2009
Your depiction of Key West is utterly fantastic.

I notice you say it was your "first" visit to Key West, meaning you've been there multiple times. It truly is a fabulous place, don't you think? I've always thought Jack would like it.
277 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 .. Last Next »