Reviews for Harry Potter A Smart Potter Year 1
Torange chapter 1 . 6/2/2008
I hope their will be a sequel on this?
Blue Eyes White Dragon 1988 chapter 1 . 5/25/2008
I've read both your story and your Author's profile. I'm extremely impressed with your intellect. You have ponited out things that are so obvious now in hindsight that I'm mentally kicking myself for not realizing sooner. There are alot of things that I agree with. Hermione ending up with Ron, let alone taking the prick back after abandoning her and Harry during a WAR, is as unrealistic as you can get. J.K must have been under alot of pressure to rashionalize that one. As far as your story goes I enjoyed it very much, the only critiscm I can offer you is to make it longer so I can read and enjoy more. But as you said in your profile you won't post uncompleted work, both a blessing and a curse. I look forward to Smart Potter Year 2.
ChasetheDreamer chapter 1 . 5/24/2008
wow. that had to be one of the best "first year" fics i've read in while. I hope i can find more like this.
Bad Wolf Jen chapter 1 . 5/24/2008
cool
major wallace chapter 1 . 5/23/2008
go on
lovewriter1213 chapter 1 . 5/22/2008
Awesome story! Please update!
jabarber69 chapter 1 . 5/22/2008
WoW, cool story!
FrequencyQueen chapter 1 . 5/22/2008
Great story! I like the Harry you've written, brains and talent, and no attitude other than self preservation. Did he get into Gryffindor because the Hat couldn't read him to sort him, so Dumbles told Hat to put him there? Harry seemed more of a Ravenclaw.
haphazard1 chapter 1 . 5/21/2008
Very interesting beginning. I always appreciate a Harry who actually uses his brains, and it is great to see Neville getting some respect and appreciation. I feel a bit sorry for Hermione, though, pulled out of Hogwarts. Maybe she can go to Beauxbatons and revisit during fourth year? Or Durmstrang...can't recall seeing a Durmstrang!Hermione before, might be fun. Probably impractical, though, given pureblood policies.

I am also curious about the end of year struggle with Quirrel, and what happened to the other teachers. Being able to see events from viewpoints other than Harry's is one of the fun parts of fanfic. At least this smarter Harry makes a much better observer than canon!clueless!manipulated!Harry.
Chi Vayne chapter 1 . 5/21/2008
'the lost Ravenclaw' indeed. I do wonder why Harry wasn't sorted there initially. I can't say I see his personality fitting in Gryffindor. Was it to allow him to pair up with Neville? Or was there a hidden purpose, such as Dumbledore asking the hat to put him there for Dumbledore's purposes?

Well, Ginny's in real trouble if year two is anything like canon. And I'll be interested to see if there is any follow up to Harry's reporting of what he found concerning Snape, but I don't expect anything to change. I certainly don't expect Dumbledore to do anything, but the other Heads of House really should.
albeva chapter 1 . 5/21/2008
at 6 already in 3rd grade?

overblown there. unlike your promise to have intelligent harry and patch up plot holes - this story is nothing but a waste of time and yet another mediocre try at rewriting the canon...

are you american?
Arsinoe de Blassenville chapter 1 . 5/20/2008
What an excellent critique of Rowling's carelessly conceived and morally dubious universe! And good for Hermione for getting out when she could! It's shameful that the muggleborn are not warned about the dangerous and hostile world they are attempting to enter. I hope you continue the series.

It's impossible for a thoughtful reader to regard Dumbledore with anything but horror. I always scoff when fanfic writers refer to him as the leader of "the light." Were I advising Tom Riddle, I would point out that it was foolish of him to let Dumbledore frame the debate (such as it is) so much in his own terms. In fact, Dumbledoregood? Why? I can't think of anything "good" he does that doesn't benefit him in some way. Either his powers are what people think they are, in which case Harry is being set up for "tests," or he's a fraud. If Dumbledore is what he presents himself to be, he had to know about Quirrel, falseMoody, etc.

Yet powerful as he is, Dumbledore has lots of political enemies, we find. Now why would so many people dislike this a loveable old grandfather-figure? Since everyone pretty much seems to have gone to Hogwarts, I suspect unhappy school memories. As you point out, the school divisions are bitter and pervasive and serve only to polarize wizarding society. What a messed-up culture!

Even the whole Riddle situation is in some ways his doing (bringing a mentally disturbed child who kills animals into a school without warning anyone or seeing that the child gets help). Ditto the Snape fiasco. The standard of education at Hogwarts is scandalous: distant, unhelpful, or outright incompetent or abusive teachers; the school itself clearly used as Dumbledore's power base; Dumbledore surrounded with "his" people regardless of their competence as teachers (Snape, Trelawney); History, which could be a tremendous force in putting the past fifty years and the various blood theories in perspective is allowed to be an irrelevant joke.

So write on! I really like your thoughtful, prudent Harry, and I applaud his friendship with Neville. (I won't get started on Ron and Molly and the deathless HarryGinny4evah).
Nongarak chapter 1 . 5/18/2008
This is most likely one of the best written, most enjoyable, realistic stories I have ever read (In fanfiction). Like, seriously. Top 5 material. I can't wait for the second one, and I hope you get it done soon. Woo!
dolphins-r-fun chapter 1 . 5/17/2008
Hi there, I like how you wrote this story. This is a more "real" than Rowlings version of the Harry Potter world. Meaning the events are more realistic and more believable.

I read your page and I completely agree with your statements. Rowling had too many plot holes but it was a good read for the younger kids with the drama and action. So good job on your version of the world of Harry Potter I look forward to the second year of Smart Harry and Nev.

I also like the fact that you had Harry befriend Nev and not Ron. They make a better relationship than Harry and Ron. Too much jealousy for me to deal with.

Keep up the great work!

Dolphins_r_fun
DeliaDee chapter 1 . 5/17/2008
This is wonderful. I've always loved Smart Harry but this is different than any other I've seen. Instead of maneuvering the manipulations in other directions, he simply doesn't bite. Hermione's departure was a bit of a shock but made perfect sense. I always love Harry and Neville being best mates. Fabulous. I hope you intend to continue this. I'd love to read how things go with Sirius. Great work.
119 | « Prev Page 1 .. 4 5 6 7 8 Next »