Reviews for Harry Potter A Smart Potter Year 1
albeva chapter 1 . 5/21/2008
at 6 already in 3rd grade?

overblown there. unlike your promise to have intelligent harry and patch up plot holes - this story is nothing but a waste of time and yet another mediocre try at rewriting the canon...

are you american?
Arsinoe de Blassenville chapter 1 . 5/20/2008
What an excellent critique of Rowling's carelessly conceived and morally dubious universe! And good for Hermione for getting out when she could! It's shameful that the muggleborn are not warned about the dangerous and hostile world they are attempting to enter. I hope you continue the series.

It's impossible for a thoughtful reader to regard Dumbledore with anything but horror. I always scoff when fanfic writers refer to him as the leader of "the light." Were I advising Tom Riddle, I would point out that it was foolish of him to let Dumbledore frame the debate (such as it is) so much in his own terms. In fact, Dumbledoregood? Why? I can't think of anything "good" he does that doesn't benefit him in some way. Either his powers are what people think they are, in which case Harry is being set up for "tests," or he's a fraud. If Dumbledore is what he presents himself to be, he had to know about Quirrel, falseMoody, etc.

Yet powerful as he is, Dumbledore has lots of political enemies, we find. Now why would so many people dislike this a loveable old grandfather-figure? Since everyone pretty much seems to have gone to Hogwarts, I suspect unhappy school memories. As you point out, the school divisions are bitter and pervasive and serve only to polarize wizarding society. What a messed-up culture!

Even the whole Riddle situation is in some ways his doing (bringing a mentally disturbed child who kills animals into a school without warning anyone or seeing that the child gets help). Ditto the Snape fiasco. The standard of education at Hogwarts is scandalous: distant, unhelpful, or outright incompetent or abusive teachers; the school itself clearly used as Dumbledore's power base; Dumbledore surrounded with "his" people regardless of their competence as teachers (Snape, Trelawney); History, which could be a tremendous force in putting the past fifty years and the various blood theories in perspective is allowed to be an irrelevant joke.

So write on! I really like your thoughtful, prudent Harry, and I applaud his friendship with Neville. (I won't get started on Ron and Molly and the deathless HarryGinny4evah).
Nongarak chapter 1 . 5/18/2008
This is most likely one of the best written, most enjoyable, realistic stories I have ever read (In fanfiction). Like, seriously. Top 5 material. I can't wait for the second one, and I hope you get it done soon. Woo!
dolphins-r-fun chapter 1 . 5/17/2008
Hi there, I like how you wrote this story. This is a more "real" than Rowlings version of the Harry Potter world. Meaning the events are more realistic and more believable.

I read your page and I completely agree with your statements. Rowling had too many plot holes but it was a good read for the younger kids with the drama and action. So good job on your version of the world of Harry Potter I look forward to the second year of Smart Harry and Nev.

I also like the fact that you had Harry befriend Nev and not Ron. They make a better relationship than Harry and Ron. Too much jealousy for me to deal with.

Keep up the great work!

Dolphins_r_fun
DeliaDee chapter 1 . 5/17/2008
This is wonderful. I've always loved Smart Harry but this is different than any other I've seen. Instead of maneuvering the manipulations in other directions, he simply doesn't bite. Hermione's departure was a bit of a shock but made perfect sense. I always love Harry and Neville being best mates. Fabulous. I hope you intend to continue this. I'd love to read how things go with Sirius. Great work.
Seel'vor chapter 1 . 5/16/2008
An intriguing story. This Harry has something that JK seems to lack: “Common Bloody Sense”. ‘A huge troll in the school?’ Yeah... let’s run and fight that, shall we?

My only possible issue with this story would be a lack of Hermione, BUT, I can certainly understand why she was withdrawn, and the fact that Harry/Hermione aren’t friends, due to Harry’s upbringing and Hermione’s slightly snobbish know-it-all attitude, is certainly plausible.

I wasn’t sure about Petunia’s attitude, although again, it makes sense. She doesn’t like him, and rants at him when he gets better results than ‘ickle Duddikins’, but at that point, she realises that Harry is just as powerless in the situation as she is, and starts to make amends.

You’ve written a manipulative!Dumbledore. Excellent! I LOVE manipulative!Dumbledore stories, and by the looks of it, this is gonna shape up to be a corker.

Too many stories of intelligent!Harry have him be a bit of an idiot. This Harry isn’t. I’d give this story a 10/10 overall.
hemotem chapter 1 . 5/15/2008
Interesting I love the fact that you put a whole year in one chapter I like that a lot )) Now I hope too see more of this great story in the near future. Thank you.

Hemotem
gaul1 chapter 1 . 5/15/2008
good story, enjoyed it, byes
magiquill9 chapter 1 . 5/15/2008
well i read your profile and your story and i like where youre going with it. I'm particularly interested in how year four will be dealt with. keep it up.
Ryan Chessman aka Crys chapter 1 . 5/15/2008
Entertaining story in the way you plugged a bunch of screaming plot holes. You got rid of Hermione and several other muggleborns, though the reason for such makes perfect sense. And the pure-bloods not caring one whit about it, either. Kinda surprised Draco wasn't all smug about it.

The only thing I disagree with you on is Harry's house. Without outside influences, why wouldn't he have gone Ravenclaw? Ah, but there WAS an outside influence (that whispered argument that we don't know anything about). Are we going to be exploring AD's machinations in future years?

For the sake of your story, you had to wait to unmask Scabbers until this year, but IRL methinks it would've happened sometime within months of the twins getting the map.

Looking forward to more stories from you.
Memory King chapter 1 . 5/15/2008
This was extremely interesting, definitely worth continuing. Excellent work, looking forward to more!
Darksnider05 chapter 1 . 5/14/2008
I have to say I enjoyed this it was simple yet highly entertaining and it did cover a lot of those plot holes people seem to put into Harry Potter, I look forward to year 2 if you do it _ and most definitely enjoy a smart Harry.
Holen-Snape chapter 1 . 5/14/2008
Wicked, I love the smart quiet harry here. So did Siruis get custudy of harry and who gave the rat to Dumbles. Looking foward to year two. thank you again
Autumn Soulwise chapter 1 . 5/14/2008
Incredible writing skills and imagination. Finally a true Harry Potter fanfiction that I couldn't stop reading. I want more already. Nice job for your first time.
Love is the key to the world chapter 1 . 5/14/2008