Reviews for The Unsung Sorrow
Swallow-Tailed Kite chapter 3 . 8/5/2015
The second and third were my favourites. For the second one, I thought the boy had lost both his legs entirely–but being a one legged cripple isn't much fun either, especially in those times :/

For some reason, it makes me incredibly happy that no one was blaming Éomer/Aragorn for leading their sons/husbands into all the battles that caused them to die.

You're my latest favourite author–in around 500 words, you've made three unnamed characters come to life and tell their woes and make everyone sad. It's the same across all your other fics–amazing characterisations in every chapter, no matter how short. Your fics deserve so much more attention than they get.
SomeKindOfFan chapter 3 . 11/9/2014
I really need 'tales of promise'. Very good story, but very sad...
Reader chapter 3 . 7/21/2013
I love the clever transition between the second and third chapters.
Avonmora chapter 3 . 4/27/2012
This was extremely well written. You gave just enough information and left enough to the reader's interpretation. I especially foun the second chapter wry touching. The irony at the end was very intriguing.

Happy reading,

Avonmora
WindSurfBabe chapter 3 . 11/27/2011
You are incredibly skilled at showing your readers the contents of the characters' hearts and souls in few words, and make them likeable, close, in such short pieces.

These three stories are sad and full of dignity, and yet I feel there is some hope for the speakers - hope to heal, to see the luck they have despite everything else.

Thanks again, I will keep this story in my Favourites along with its counterpart.
Emily chapter 3 . 3/2/2010
Poor mother; she sounds slightly insane. : (

And, oh, for a Rohirrim, to be unable to ride a horse must be the greatest shame!

Yes, I need cheered up. I haven't been so emotional in weeks!

: (
Emily chapter 2 . 3/2/2010
'Today the captains of the armies are rejoicing and the People of Gondor are beginning to rebuild their fair city. Today I run my fingers over my wedding garments, my wedding ring, my wedding shoes and marvel that I, a soldier, should live, while she, a healer, died in flame.'

Once again, your last lines reveal so much emotion. Like the last chapter, you start out with something happy, and then- WHAM!- we're tossed back into the dungeons again.

This speaker sounds almost dead, as if, with the dying of his loved one, part of himself has fled the boundaries of this world as well.

And, oh, the irony of that final sentence... : (
Emily chapter 1 . 3/2/2010
Ouch, that hurts. Note to self: NO sad music. : (

I think it's funny how the Haradrim get all the attention when it comes to the "bad guys"; the Easterlings don't fare nearly so well in the world of fanfic. That's a pity; I find Rhun much more interesting, personally.

You can taste the grief in this, and the bitterness, and the loss and wistfulness for what might have been, but under that is a bit of hope that good days are coming. (Well, and they are...)

I don't know how, but I hope Aragorn will help. (Look, now you've made me a cynic of my favorite king!) : /
aotearoan chapter 3 . 9/15/2009
extremely well written and an important story too I think. It's great (if depressing) to hear stories about the ordinary people who aren't mentioned in the novels.
aboutawar chapter 3 . 3/5/2009
This is absolutely gorgeous. I honestly can think of no other word for it. Every chapter was just achingly beautiful-loss in the midst of a great victory. Just lovely. Thank you so much for sharing.

-Lairiel
Clodia chapter 3 . 1/20/2009
It's hard to put into words what I like about this. So I suppose: consequences of epic wars for unnamed masses; the universality of such; the elegance with which it is written (especially leaving it to the reader to fill in the emotions behind the losses, rather than spelling it out bluntly); and the recognition that life goes on anyway and must be got on with. Thank you!
Alaenor JS-XIII chapter 3 . 11/9/2008
No, you weren't being pushy at all, it's OK. :)

Anyway, I really liked this collection in general because 1) I am a sucker for angst, and 2) it's incredible well-written and detailed, and the emotion in it is really powerful.

I liked chapter two a lot, I think that was my favorite. A lot of these kinds of things have the woman mourning her dead husband, and I like it that you took the other side. It was very tragic, and it did come as surprise at the end.

This chapter was really amazing too. I loved the way the something as simple as shoes could be the focus of the story, because it's the kind of little detail that you might not think about, but it would become part of the life of the people who get hurt like this. I really liked how the mother's personality came through this too. She seemed like she was still in shock, and trying to be practical.
Epilachna chapter 3 . 10/19/2008
There is something very painful about simple objects that symbolize our pain. This reminded me of my cousin. She came home from the hospital without her son who died a day after being born. She came home to a house filled with baby clothes and had to give them away. Not an equivalent comparison, but a similar emotion.
Epilachna chapter 2 . 10/19/2008
I was not expecting a male narrator. I'm teary again.
Lialathuveril chapter 3 . 10/18/2008
I went to check out your other LotR-stories and liked these three oneshots very much. I think you did an excellent job of catching the characters and the situation in so few words. Probably because you manage to include those small telling details that connect directly to the reader.

Lia