Reviews for The Living
Merlynnod chapter 1 . 9/24/2008
This is lovely, especially the first section wherein everything reminds Wilson of who he's lost. You captured it perfectly, those small, inconsequential things that always seem to cut the deepest, to bring the most hurt in the most unexpected ways. At first it doesn't sink in that they're really gone and they're never coming back...and each time it starts to delve into your subconcious, something familiar and day-to-day comes along and brings it all back up again. Extremely well written.

And the second section, with House just bursting into Wilson's office one day, and Wilson's first impulse to wonder about how House is dealing with everything...quickly followed by that need to hold out from that feeling just a little bit longer. To protect himself and that anger that somehow seems to help the process there in the beginning. Perfectly Wilson, but also on a broader level, so very true to the process of grief. And then Wilson being unable to punish House even if he wants to because House is busy punishing himself...again, so true to both those characters. The ending was also spot-on, that understanding without words that things will be alright...not right away, but that there will be ways to move onward and forward from what has gone before, so beautifully expressed with the silently accepted file.

Wonderfully written...and I really wish the season opener had been done this well.
LastScorpion chapter 1 . 6/12/2008
Lovely story. Poor Wilson!

I disagree with anonymous x above, btw. This seems more like how it would happen - just because there aren't a lot of fireworks doesn't mean it's all over; just because they can work together and speak without fighting doesn't mean it's all magically healed. These are *guys*, after all, and they've known each other and worked together for years. FWIW
Guest chapter 1 . 5/21/2008
This piece was... phenomenal! It made me hurt, go into a rage, and just about cry.. In a good way- of course :o
KB22 chapter 1 . 5/21/2008
I'm interested to see how this plays out in the show, I love that you are entertaining the ideas.
Rachel chapter 1 . 5/20/2008
This was so lovely - I can only hope they choose to deal with the aftermath this gently and ambiguously on the show. Thanks so much for sharing this!
DXRULES103 chapter 1 . 5/20/2008
Oh, powerful. Intense. My heart has been going out for everyone at House MD especially House and Wilson.
imfreakinorange chapter 1 . 5/20/2008
Lovely beginning. I've missed your stories!
MysteryLady-Tx chapter 1 . 5/20/2008
interesting, but he didn't answer him...

THANKS:D
x chapter 1 . 5/20/2008
While it's tempting to instantly resolve conflict between two characters that are as wonderful together as House and Wilson, I felt that your version wasn't verisimilar for these characters.

I think it would take a long time for Wilson to forgive House. It is normal in grieving to feel bitter or upset about why others live while your loved one has died. Of course House never intended to bring about Amber's death - but he did. If House wasn't a needy drunken jerk, she would be alive. House could have taken a cab or the bus, but didn't, out of his own selfishness. Because of this circumstance, I think Wilson's bitterness and anger toward the 'survivor' would be amplified to a level even greater than the average griever.

Wilson found something special and different with Amber. It wasn't like the other women he has loved. I think perhaps your own affinity for a romantic pairing between House and Wilson (and corresponding belief in Wilson's latent homosexuality) has impaired your judgement in reproducing these characters accurately.

The "Are we okay" conversation is a mirror of previous scenes in the series. It was hastily written, and beneath you. If it were a minor infraction in the relationship, that level of commiseration would be appropriate. But this is the unnecessary death of the Love of Wilson's life. An awkward five second interaction is not going to resolve the complex rift between them.

I don't see how they'll be on speaking terms for a long while. And after they are able to function together at work, it will take even more time for a friendship to be created again.

Your style of writing is interesting, and from other stories it's clear you have talent, but I believe you missed the mark on this one.

Please don't be afraid to explore the discomfort of a (temporary) absence of warm feelings between them. I think you are capable of a truer examination of both of these characters. If you resist the urge to instantly reunite them, I think you are capable of writing an epic and profound exploration of the dynamics of their relationship.

My goal is not to annoy or harass you. I hope you take this critique as it is intended. If I thought you were a poor writer I wouldn't bother with the input. I confess, after seeing the finale episode, I wondered, even hoped that you would try to tackle the topic (of House and Wilson's estrangement). I still hope that you will think about it a little more, and try again.

Either way, best of luck to you in future writings.
Namaste chapter 1 . 5/20/2008
It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out. The Wilson you've written is certainly in an understandable place, going through the stages of grief in rapid succession (House possibly stuck on Depression, as he is so often). But then is Wilson all the way through the stages? Your "He doesn't know what to say" suggestions otherwise.
med-anomaly chapter 1 . 5/20/2008
Oh my goodness. I just plain love this. You've captured Wilson's pain, and House's fear, and both of their hope just perfectly. Excellent work. Thanks for sharing. I'm off to rec it on the boards.
accioamber chapter 1 . 5/20/2008
aw.

I love this.

THANK YOU EMAIL ALERTS!

:]

As much as I do love this, I'm afraid the show won't be like this :[ I want them to be ok!

I love your stuff ]
Fanny chapter 1 . 5/20/2008
Wow - If only the writers could do it like this...

Favoutite writer on favourite episode, It can't get any better.

Thanks!
BSEVER chapter 1 . 5/20/2008
Really hope the writers will take the same road as you. I couldn't stand a still (unfair) mad Wilson and a self-flagellating abandonned House.

Thanks
ggo85 chapter 1 . 5/20/2008
Thanks for this. It's really beautiful and touching. And, as someone who lost both my parents recently (one in an instant), it really rings true on many levels. Especially the many odd items that trigger memories. It's raw emotion at first and then morphs over time into something else (probably different for everyone).

My only suggestion would be to skip the very last line. The story is so great, so poignant without it. And we know Wilson will go on because of the way you've led us to that conclusion.