Reviews for The Other Woman
Raven Aorla chapter 1 . 7/16/2010
It's "wield", not "weild". You made the mistake twice. Still a thought-provoking story and well in-character.

I love fanfic, but it's never too late to start writing novels, friend. It's not an all-or-nothing deal. Word to the wise.
Netrixie chapter 1 . 10/26/2009
This is amazing. Very well done.
Diedre D'Nai chapter 1 . 7/25/2008
I like it, I like is one hell of a lot. The City wazza...wazza...wazername...woman...
Vetinari's eyes chapter 1 . 5/23/2008
Wow...Just, wow. this is absolutely brilliant- I haven't seen a fic this good for a long time. Please, please keep writing, I absolutely love your characterization of Vetinari.
Rachel chapter 1 . 5/22/2008
I really enjoyed these meditations on my favorite Discworld characters. This was a very nice look at the tangible power and danger of public belief in this magical world, and the rational, insane way Vetinari manages to keep his power in control (I loved the reference to sacrificing shellfish in order to resist random executions - what a beautiful little touch!) The man really does give the impression of having transformed himself without changing at all, as he has slowly molded the city in order to prepare it to see him as he is. "I have not remained ruler by understanding the city. The city is depressingly easy to understand. I have remained ruler by making the city understand me." I thought this story was an excellent exploration of how that concept is true for Vetinari and Carrot, and how Vimes, like the city, has learned to see them both more clearly and more hopefully over the years. If you ever feel in the mood to write more on these characters, I think you'll find a lot of happy readers!

As a very tiny suggestion, I noticed that you have a couple of words that are not mis-spelled, but rather transposed with their homonyms. Towards the end of the piece you use "alter" the verb instead of "altar" the noun, and in the phrase "who might seem close to loosing," I think it should be "seem close to losing." I hope it's not annoying for me to mention these little things - they don't detract from the story at all, but since you are such a prolific author I thought you might want a little input on the small stuff :)

Thanks so much for sharing this. I hope you'll write more in this fandom. And thanks for saying that Vimes believes in Carrot, justice, and Vetinari. He really does, and that's so fascinating!
Gogol chapter 1 . 5/21/2008
Oh.

1) HAHA my every useful thought on Ankh-Morpork rolled up into one, er, 'fic', and then some.

2) I like the writing, although some of it is a tad hard to parse; it gets better as it goes. I might be wrong but the tense seemed iffy in several places. It was, however, all, very, very Vetinari.

3) Actually in general I /love/ the second half. I mean /love/.

4) Leonard is going to be a terrifying prophet.

5) I can totally see Vetinari keeping tabs on the various gods.

6) I'm running out of things to list. However I would like to mention that, as suggested before by the clanging-with-irony quotation marks, and as other reviewers have said, this piece's claim to ficly-status is debatable; it's more a, a, an essay in the head of a character? ...Right.

7) Fav'd. And on that note I think I'll stop listing things.
Kiyomisa chapter 1 . 5/20/2008
nicely done. You can't imagine how excited I was to see that one of my favorite authors on wrote something from Discworld -. I like the analogy of Vetinari as the High Priest and Vimes and Carrot and Lipwig as followers.
Ajac chapter 1 . 5/20/2008
...*slow applause*.

This is Ankh-Morpork, boiled down and ground into the finest dust of thought and sifted through the finest sieve, the mind of Lord Havelock Vetinari, Patrician.

I have no words that can codefy this...this...this wonderment of words, this brilliance. This is seeing Vimes, Vetinari and Carrot, with a glimpse of Moist, beyond what even Terry Pratchett himself realises: this is a rare gift from God, a glimpse into the unconcious Muse of the creator of Discworld. I applaud you, with all the fire of my being.
Dorie Kaiba chapter 1 . 5/20/2008
The reviewer below is right. Very nice characterization but have them do something.
Twist chapter 1 . 5/20/2008
I'm not sure how to review this. On one hand, it's lovely; well written, thought out and characterized. On the other hand . . . nothing happened. It is an interesting look into the three of them, though, as they really are married and bound to the city, like it or not. I did genuinely enjoy this though, so well done. I would love to see more from you, maybe something with some dialog or action because I can only imagine right now that it would be really well done. I'd absolutely love to be shown. :)
R.R chapter 1 . 5/20/2008
Always good to see you writing, and encouraging to see you produce something of quality. I've never gotten up the nerve to try writing Discworld fanfiction. You manage to keep everyone in character while providing personal insights. Very well done.