Reviews for Rollercoaster
ArvisJaggamar chapter 5 . 9/29
Data LOVES using the "I have no feelings I am just an android" line when a woman has hurt him. It's like his go-to weapon when in romantic distress.

And yes, I'm re-reading this now that I'm getting to the end of my first real, thorough TNG re-watch. Never thought I'd read the same fanfic TWICE.
InvisibleSky0 chapter 1 . 9/28
This was an extremely creative story, and I think "Rollercoaster" sums it up exactly. I'm not actually into Data/Tasha as a pairing, but I think that drives the point home regarding your skills as an author. You actually made me believe in this relationship. I also loved the interactions between Tasha and the rest of the crew, especially Picard and Guinan. The sequel looks interesting too, and I love the Q cameos! I'm pleased Tasha makes things right by Data, as her previous behavior did seem fairly petty and narcissistic at times. Using Data to gratify her own needs really isn't love, but she did seem to turn this around and begin treating him like a genuine partner. Kudos.

As the fic obviously focused on Data and Tasha, this was a minor point of the story, but I feel I also have to say your take on Tasha and the Romulan general was...heartbreaking? (BTW, I noticed one of your other reviewers asking for his name-according to resources it is Volskiar, though I don't know if this represents last or first.). I have to tell you from the way you approach this situation that I couldn't help but feel sorry for the man, no matter what he had done. You basically wrote him as the Star Trek equivalent of Severus Snape. I can likewise understand another reviewer who commented on the creepiness factor of seeing Tasha in his daughter, but honestly, I'd assume that far more likely to haunt him. Referencing Snape again, every time he looked in Harry's face, Lily's eyes were looking back at him, serving as a constant reminder of his unrequited love-Sela is that factor times a hundred with respect to Tasha.

I do realize that Data is everything Tasha deserves and a much worthier character than the Romulan general who ensnared an alternate version of her. That said, after reading your account of his attempt at redemption, I can't help but wish the universe had some reward waiting for him. Maybe there is a Tasha Yar out there somewhere in the multiverse for him too, who would be capable of returning his feelings? Or if not, then referencing other Star Trek memes, maybe he could somehow find his way to the Nexxus, where in his own personal version of Heaven, the Tasha from his own timeline would be alive and in love with him, plus a devoted mother to Sela?

Either way, I'm sure glad that things in this universe worked out for Tasha/Data. I loved reading about his innocence as he gradually discovered what love was. The references to the Borg Queen and how he played that off Tasha were well done and utterly believable. What an interesting love story! He definitely deserves her more than Volskiar, and can give her what Volskiar unfortunately learned about too late: pure and selfless love. As opposed to a self-centered need to possess.

And yet, as I say, the way that you write it...I can't help but feel sorry for the lovesick Romulan? That's the trait of an excellent writer, I guess. You make me feel elated that Tasha ends up with Data because they make such a wonderful couple; but then I also feel an equal amount of pity for the heartbroken general, who appears to have completely changed but much too late to hope for anything but forgiveness from Tasha.

Here's a long but interesting tidbit that basically ties all three of these characters together, plus Sela, if you didn't know:

In a Star Trek video game, there is a surprise revelation that Volskiar never actually executed Tasha after her escape attempt, but only exiled and imprisoned her. I don't believe their "relationship" continued beyond that point, or else it's not directly specified-but at least, he couldn't literally bring himself to kill her. However, he misleads Sela into believing that he did. When Sela makes this discovery, she basically admits that she never believed her mother loved her and angrily tells a Federation human character that she doesn't want his pity about that subject. Later on, a holographic recording of Tasha tells Sela that she did love her and hoped she would come looking for her one day; however, Tasha is already dead from natural causes. Tasha's ultimate relationship with Volskiar, in terms of what passed between them prior to her death, is left to the imagination; but as for Sela, she is greatly shaken by revelation of these facts and deeply regrets never having the chance to talk to her mother before her death.

I tell you all this to lead up to the following...

Upon the closing events of the game, Sela adamantly seeks out...Guess who? Data! And asks him to tell her about her mother.

Just sort of thought all that was cool, in light of your story :)

I sort of got the vibe from the way you wrote her though, that you couldn't stand Sela, which I get because she is essentially an outcome of sugarcoated rape. (Volskiar can call Tasha his "consort" all he likes, he was forcing himself on her and had to have known it on some level.) Then Sela had the gall to take his side. But if you don't like the character, I figured you might get off on her ending: She basically makes too many mistakes in the eyes of the Romulan government, they turn her over to be tried by the Federation, and then she commits suicide in her prison cell. It's unclear from canon whether her father outlived her to see her fate.

On that note, I don't know if Volskiar ever came to this realization, but he didn't just ruin Tasha's life...he ruined Sela's too. Her psychology about the unnatural relationship between her parents plus her upbringing on a world where she was persecuted for her hybrid status drove her character to pursue many unwise endeavors with respect to the galaxy at large all in an attempt to prove herself and validate her self-worth. This ultimately ended up destroying her. I couldn't help but pity her in the end. Sad and horrible, but I feel it honestly displays the fair consequences of Volskiar's selfish attempt to force Tasha's love and the ultimate road that took both women he loved down.

Tasha and Data will have a much better life for sure! I'm so happy for them and the prospect of a normal, healthy family. It is a good contrast to what happened with Volskiar/Sela, although I do feel bad for them.

I'm still left with curiosity on a few points:

Tasha/Data:
Is Data responsible for Tasha becoming a better person? It
really seems to me as though this is true. He stops her from killing Volskiar, and ironically this saves them both later. He really has softened Tasha's more caustic side and brought out the latent gentleness that she has to offer others. I believe that Data made her a less selfish person who found the strength to forgive life. All of this so amazing because Data is more human than real humanity in this way! He is capable of redeeming a human's life, although he himself is a machine. That really is a punch in the face to those prejudiced against him and his special relationship with Tasha. Does Tasha realize this? What special challenges are they going to face in the years ahead? On TNG, I hated that idiot who kept shooting off his mouth that Data wasn't fit to command the starship. I also hated Sela calling Tasha a degenerate for the same reason, but I could see how she'd relish the insult. Does Tasha see Data as her better moral half...a being who can take all this abuse in and still maintain a strong moral code? I really feel that he is her better half, but I wonder if she has ever thought about their relationship this way. Does this train of thought ever occur to her?

Tasha/Romulan general:
I can't hep but wonder what their lives were like during that period, mostly because it's so confusing. He seems to genuinely love her but then essentially admits to the relationship having being non-consensual. He follows this up with a defense that he was "gentle...courteous...kind." How do you "gently" rape someone for 5 years and "kindly" force them to endure nine months of pregnancy and then childbirth? I can hardly believe that he would never have caught Tasha crying during their "marriage" simply due to emotional breakdown, regardless of how gentle the sex was. During their first confrontation in your fanfiction, mere third person knowledge of such events is enough to reduce Tasha to tears upon seeing his face. I can't even imagine her character's state of mind had she been the one to actually live it. I guess I'm just trying to imagine what Sela's father could have possibly been thinking and what sort of conversations they would have had prior to Tasha's escape attempt and coming up short.

It's a good thing alternate timeline Tasha didn't remember these things, or maybe she really would have killed him in a fit of rage before Data could stop her. But Data and Tasha deserve a wonderful life together, and at least Volskiar finally has enough character to let her go. Good ending:)
kearnen chapter 2 . 8/16
This is fantastic. I started watching Star Trek TNG some time ago and fell in love with Data right away. "The Naked Now" episode had me hopeful for his future with Tasha, but sadly it went nowhere. This fanfic, this amazing creation of yours is everything their story should've been. Thank you so much for sharing it.
I miss Tasha :'(
deltathetrekkie chapter 61 . 10/10/2016
That was absolutely beautiful. I am actually crying as I am writing this. I understand that I am about 6 years late to thank you at the proper time. I honestly cannot thank you enough for this. The story was just 61 chapters of absolutely brilliant writing. I am so sad that I have finished it now. Now, onto Orpheus...
SilverclawRose chapter 61 . 5/25/2016
I hope it's not too odd, receiving a review for a fic so many years after its completion, but here I am. I just came across this fic after getting a random urge to read some good Data-centered writing.

And then I started reading your story.

And I didn't stop for nearly eight straight hours.

It this story was published as a book, I wouldn't have been able to put it down. If it was published as a book, I would've bought it. In HARDCOVER. And then mailed it to you for an autograph. This story was so complex, so interesting, SO GOOD - I can't even begin to describe how much I enjoyed reading it. The characters fit so perfectly into their personalities, the acting was intense, the feelings realistic and complicated...

And then you wrote a sequel for all us diehard Data fans! And it was JUST AS GOOD. Seriously, thank you. Thank you for writing this amazing story and sharing it with us - it's definitely in my top three favorites of all time and I expect to reread it again over the years :)
the-omnomnom-phenomenon chapter 61 . 3/11/2016
Aww dammit you did the Nemesis! But because of the way you wrapped it up, I can't even be mad.

This was a wonderful story, and I'm sure it'll hold a special place in my heart for a very long time. Thank you for blessing the ST Fanfic community with such a gem!
the-omnomnom-phenomenon chapter 55 . 3/11/2016
So we're at the end of Insurrection and I swear on all that is holy if you pull a Nemesis...

But on a serious note, I really love the way this story has progressed.
the-omnomnom-phenomenon chapter 28 . 3/11/2016
This is my first Star Trek fanfic of significant length and I love it! Your characterization of Data and Tasha (and everyone else) is great. I love what you're doing with the characters.
As for the story line itself, A. I know it's based off the episodes but by having Tasha there and using your own creative license, you bring a whole new flair to things! (Example: Even though I literally just finished watching TNG for the first time, I find myself in anticipation of what's going to happen, or surprised by something that does happen) I'm excited to continue reading!
Steph01924 chapter 61 . 3/9/2016
Great story! Really enjoyed it.
Steph01924 chapter 16 . 3/3/2016
This chapter was hilarious!
Shegoessoboldy chapter 61 . 2/18/2016
Cryin so hard right now...damn that was all kinds of beautiful. This..thank you. I love you. Been reading this since late January i think and have stayed up late nights thoroughly entertained with Rollorcoaster and i just hope some day i can be a good as a writer as you are,you inspire me endlessly and ughhh im a bit hesitant to start reading Orpheus because i need to grieve for Data all over again. Shit. Thank you Miss Scribbles
Oh man oh man...the part where Data dies though. That wgole thing about always bein capable of love...ahh... *sniffles* okay. Thank you again,beautiful soul
Guest chapter 61 . 10/6/2015
Phenomenal! Unbelievable! Love how you stayed true to canon while exploring "what could have been". You are a gifted writer, and I hope that you continue to express yourself so beautifully in fanfiction. Thank you for such a wonderful story!
ArvisJaggamar chapter 61 . 3/24/2015
Gotta say... I didn't see that coming...

Thank you so much for all your work on this! A truly epic and herculean work of passion.
ArvisJaggamar chapter 60 . 3/24/2015
This inevitable climax was both better and worse than I thought it would be. I mean from an emotional standpoint. The actual quality of writing has been stellar from Chapter 1 forwards and has never dipped.

Guess... guess I'll read the last chapter... *sigh*