Reviews for The Call of the Chickadee
GWBear chapter 4 . 12/3/2014
My only issue with this story as it has evolved so far is character inconsistenies, aligned with cultural mismatches as well.

The twins start the story as very young in age and behavior, yet act and are portrayed as being far older as the story progresses. They room together, even as brother and sister, which would never have been allowed in a middle to upper class Victorian home at any age much beyond toddler. Also, when needed, Emily acts very grown up, providing and dispensing meds, (allowed to do so by Watson) and interacting with Watson and others as a mature young woman... described as being "not yet 20."

Also, note that Edward is old enough to run after the kidnapper with Holmes - and Watson goes along with letting Emily drop through the carriage - something he never would have stood for, unless she was as old as 15-16 or even older. Neither Holmes or Watson is acting as you would expect, unless the tins were quite a bit older. (However, if Emily was that much older, I expect that she would never be allowed to run around looking exactly as a boy... It just would not happen in Victorian times.)

The mother is curiously absent. The oldest son acting as a doctor without training... Continuity and age/gender appropriateness definitely should be tightened up...
GWBear chapter 1 . 12/2/2014
A great beginning. Very in the line of Doyle. Only one little nit: should be black-capped, not clack-capped...
TemporarilyAbaft chapter 3 . 7/29/2013
AHHHHH There was so much I loved about this chapter! The twins' game made me giggle, and, everything was just... Ah. Very well done. I'm excited to keep reading.
Azolean chapter 9 . 10/12/2012
It was a wonderfully complex and exciting story. I loved this one very much and greatly look forward to reading more of yours. Thank you again for all the time, effort, and creativity.
Azolean chapter 1 . 10/12/2012
I know you wrote this several years ago now, but I refuse to allow such closing statements in your A/N stand unremarked.

This was an excellent portrayal of the characters. I could so very easily envision this. It was perfect in attitude and dialogue. It could very seamlessly, thus far, fit into something from canon. Also, I can't recall finding more than a single misspelling in the entire chapter! Even from a technical standpoint you proved yourself quite nicely.

You have most definitely captured my interest in the first chapter. It sounds like a very intriguing and potentially complex story. My brain is already churning out ideas on where this could go and how. I greatly look forward to reading the rest of it.

Thank you for all the time, effort, and creativity that has gone into this. Likely, you will see more of these comments along the way.
katherine chapter 7 . 9/16/2012
lol, nice joke.
Sandyy chapter 9 . 4/8/2012
Haha! The twins are awesome! Well done. I quite enjoyed the story. I'm off to peruse the rest of your profile now!
CalliScribbles chapter 5 . 12/12/2011
I had a lovely review packed in here, and then finals ate it.

For now, I'll say that I'm finding it somewhat hard to place the twins' age. I'm thinking early teens, twelve to fourteen or some such, with their elder brother in his late teens and their brother seven...

Of course, if you've already stated their ages, forgive me for reading this through the haze of finals-induced ennui. :)
frangipaniflowers chapter 9 . 8/1/2010
XD XD XD
frangipaniflowers chapter 1 . 8/1/2010
I know you finished this story quite a while ago, and you're working on now things now, but I felt I *had* to review, for the simple reason that this is absolutely superb. The 'Watson-voice' is perfect, the characters are accurate, and while the plot is only just warming up, it's utterly gripping.

Sorry I can't produce a more coherent review!
infun101 chapter 8 . 7/23/2010
Very good job...it was a great read :)
AdidasandPie chapter 9 . 4/20/2010
Very much enjoyed this. Wonderful story!
Saudade Florentina chapter 9 . 3/19/2010
Bravo!

Really, you are far too harsh on yourself. You captured Holmes and Watson perfectly! All of your characters are well developed and believable, and so is the motive .

Simply fab. ;)
Yukihime chapter 9 . 2/17/2010
Great story (:

I really like it
HistoryHound chapter 9 . 2/15/2010
I must say, that it is one of the best Holmes stories I have ever had the pleasure of reading. The cliff part really had me in suspense. I did not see that one coming. Very clever, indeed!