Reviews for Informed Consent
Guest chapter 1 . 8/28/2015
Um... I read this story for the first time a few weeks ago, and it creeped me out then. Roy is my favorite character, and I have read a lot a lot of fic that, as another reviewer said, excuses what he did. So that was how I read it then - as, oh, it makes sense. Complete with separating the woman and children with an excuse that the others would buy and make him seem colder at the same time.

And then I was reading more about the Holocaust (including the medical experiments), and then I thought about this again, and I was like, yeah, that's WRONG. The way you just describe what is going on makes that far more visible than either of the anime do.

Your fic really makes me think. And that's a good thing.
Guest chapter 1 . 2/15/2014
I grew up watching the 2003 anime...I remember now, Roy's tendency for overkill, how fast and furious his flames are - much more than necessary to win... - this story really gets me thinking about that - it was mercy.
Mouse chapter 1 . 9/27/2012
Hoooly *shit*. This is powerful.
Shaded Silvering Grey chapter 1 . 4/15/2012
Horrifying, revolting, agonizing. You have made a piece of art and beauty that has evoked such emotion, that it should be taken into the chronicles of FMA brilliance. Bravo, bravo.

(Member of Critics United)
Frog-kun chapter 1 . 10/29/2011
This is without a doubt a brilliant story. Reading this left me speechless for a moment, which is no mean feat. Even now I cannot summon the words to adequately describe my reading experience. All I can say is that it was both shocking and heartbreaking, and the sparseness of the descriptions only made me imagine the gore even more. Such an approach would probably have seemed lazy in a less able writer, but you've pulled off that understated tragedy perfectly. Oh, Roy. Oh, Knox. T_T
Nemrut chapter 1 . 10/15/2011
One wouldn't think that burning humans would be such a science. Great one shot.
unsigned so you can delete it chapter 1 . 4/24/2011
With all due respect, we fanfic writers don't need to invent anything to explain why Roy would likely be prosecuted for war crimes should there be a significant regime change.

It's canon that Roy Mustang killed noncombatants. It's canon that Roy Mustang participated in a genocide campaign. These are both definitely war crimes by any modern understanding.

Granted, FMA is set roughly in the 1910s, so you could argue that the majority cultures in Armestris and the surrounding nations might be less condemning than we are of the genocide of an ethnic minority that looks very different, but the killing of civilian noncombatants would likely still be recognized as a war crime.
Cristipotter chapter 1 . 4/23/2011
That was terrifyingly beautiful. Terrifying, because you captured such a dark concept of the FMA series, and did it fantastically without the need of too much detail. Beautiful, because the writing was amazing. Its hard imagining what the two of them must've been like during the war, but this fic did it for me. Great job!
maryh10000 chapter 1 . 11/30/2010
Yes, I agree this in character for Roy. I can absolutely imagine that he might have done this.

I don't like the way some fics try to excuse his guilt, which in the manga, the man himself *never* does. And I disagree with the idea that Roy was forced to do what he did. He could have tried to fight, or run away, or even faced execution or imprisonment. Roy is guilty, he should feel guilty, and he really can't do anything that will atone.

What he CAN do is to NOT take the coward's way out by killing himself or minimizing what he's done, but instead do what he can to make things better and prevent anything like that from happening again. That, to me, is what makes him so awesome as a character - not because he feels bad about what he did, or because it wasn't all that bad, or because that was just what he was forced to do in war.

The only thing I disagree with is that you needed to add this to have Roy be guilty of war crimes. He participated in the destruction of entire civilian cities. In terms of WWII, the parallels to me seem more like Japan's firebombing of Chinese cities, the allied firebombing of Dresden, and the American atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

In all of those WWII cases, the bombings were meant to intimidate the enemy into surrender, not to annihilate an entire people. What Arakawa Hiromu sensei has done is combine the method of firebombing with the purpose of the Holocaust.

Any justification of what Roy did as destroying the enemy's will to resist, which was the justification (sufficient or not) for those bombings in WWII, doesn't exist in the FMA scenario. Bradley didn't want to destroy the Ishvalan will to resist - he wanted to destroy the Ishvalans themselves.
WargishBoromirFan chapter 1 . 9/7/2009
Now, this piece leaves me almost at a loss for words, so I can't offer as eloquent a review as the last two, but that was just so darkly in-character and believable that one can't help but love it. Lots of fics can make Roy angsty, but very few go so far to show the reasons why he might be so emotionally broken. I'm not sure whether or not it makes it more chilling that he does everything he can to still treat them as human beings, offering them the "easy out" in his form, and tries to follow scientific protocol, but it just fits with Roy Mustang.
Terenbas chapter 1 . 7/20/2008

Interesting story. You're right it fits completely with what Roy and Dr. Knox have both said.

Anyway, one thing that I noticed simply because I'm a picky bastard is that you said,

"Knox eyed the bloody chamber in disgust. “We can have my assistant do that..."

When people get burned alive, the environment surrounding them will not be bloody. Their blood will boil and evaporate at that kind of temperature.

Just something that I noticed.

Poor Roy.

I greatly liked the way you portrayed his characterization through the entire thing. You make it obvious that he doesn't want to do what he's doing, but he'll force himself anyway because he.."has too"

Which perfectly coincides with FMA Gaiden chapter...5 I think it was, When Maes goes to get Roy and Roy forces himself into that creepy killer look.
MithLuin chapter 1 . 5/21/2008
Knox's language probably only warrants a T rating, but I agree that the subject matter (highly unethical medical experiments) justifies the M.

The way Knox described his involvement in Ishbal (and his referrence to Mustang not as a coworker, but an accomplice) suggested to me that that is *precisely* what was going on. Roy was killing prisoners as part of some sort of experiment, likely practicing his control to actually burn people (rather than just create fireballs in the air). His comments to Havoc about whether the body had burned up or blown to pieces suggest that he takes a very...clinical...approach to his art.

The Ishbal massacre is very reminiscent of the Holocaust, with the Amestrian military acting as the Nazis. Medical experiments is just part of that, unfortunately. One of the amazing things about FMA is that Arakawa can take an extremely ambitious former war criminal and make him a hero of the story. Roy Mustang is one of the good guys. Not *the* hero; Ed would never do what Roy did, and tries to avoid killing people. But still. It's hard enough to make someone like Scar sympathetic, and he's the *victim* in this scenario.