Reviews for The Cat That Danced With Death
TOSoldtimer chapter 1 . 8/1/2014
If anyone knowingly danced with death, it would have been Kenshin. But I'm sure there are many otters.
I don't know how often it happens, but my father died after 30 odd years on the anniversary of my mother's death. And like your Kenshin, he was ready to go.
Beautiful story.
farfromdaylight chapter 1 . 7/27/2014
This was absolutely beautiful and so, so fitting to the Ruroken universe. Thank you so much for sharing it.
Caeria chapter 1 . 9/15/2013
All teary-eyed now. Thanks for the good read.
kokoronagomu chapter 1 . 10/5/2012
i have been digging around dusty ffn archives for great 'rk' stories and this is wonderfully written, horribly sad but the emotions and characterizations were real and came alive (except for one and that guy was metaphorical).

in a figurative sense death is something a condition that that only humans conceptualize and describe as an entity... no one really wants to die (unless they're emotionally traumatized or unstable) nor do they understand it or why it happens especially when the body is constantly regenerating itself until that self renewal slows down and eventually stops. enough waxing philosophy.

about the OVAs... the abomination that was 'seisouhen' ('samurai x -reflections' the execration and blasphemy of all that is kenshin)... there was a better and real ending in the 'kenshin kaiden'. i felt your story was better in that i don't think he would want kaoru to lose him as he had thought he lost her during enishi's jinchuu. the fact that he didn't lose his integrity, honor and sense to go wondering again like the felonious depiction of the above mentioned OVA and the loss of everything kaoru when she just acted like a non-person allowing him to leave over an over without hunting him down, dragging him back and giving him a painful and memorable reason not to ever leave again. (-sorry- *sheepishly steps down from soapbox*).

just in case you hadn't heard about the 'rurouni kenshin' live action movie that's been released in japan and they're planning on releasing it in over sixty countries! or the new manga rewrite it's called 'kinema ban' or the animated rewrite of the kyoto arc called 'shin kyoto hen' (all different stories, you might like them as kenshin is depicted as less silly and a lot more serious).

if you plug in the following code in the youtube search engine you can see a few of the trailers for the live action movie:

enjoy! -there are english subs on youtube for the trailers if you look for them it's just that that was the only one with all seven character portrayals in one video.

a pleasure,
kokoronagomu. deviantart. com
miss greenpeace chapter 1 . 9/12/2012
... Good, very good. One of the most thoughtful fics I've ever read. I really like that the fic is thoughful and different, and it all just blows me away. The plot is unpredictable, and executed amazingly. Nearly flawless in characterization, in what little I can absorb in this oneshot. I can't say how much I love love love this thoughtful fic. And I wish you'd write more of KK. I'm pretty sure in my 8 years in ff dot net, you are one of few authors in RK fandom who is able to do the manga storyline justice, the way you stick to the character's ideals, ways of thinking, even the background set. I can totally connect to this scene after from the manga. What can I say? This is marvelous piece, and I'm fortunate enough to crash into this and read it again for the 2nd time ( I dunno why I haven't posted any review years ago! It was a great read!). Thank you so much for such a thoughtful story. Write more, pretty please? :')
nitokiri chapter 1 . 8/17/2012
Why do you do these things to my heart? I loved the tone of this... seemed dreamlike. Reminded me of snow :)
Queen Emily the Diligent chapter 1 . 2/5/2012
You made me cry. So beautiful.
Sammy Holzbein chapter 1 . 6/29/2011
A fine peace of literature. I like the somber and bittersweet air it has. Thanks for the enjoyment.
Jasmine blossom625 chapter 1 . 5/8/2011
My first time finding and reading this. It's incredibly sad and heartrending, but at least Kenshin finds peace at the end. Of course I was expecting Kenshin to die in the fight; the fact it was Kaoru was equally painful, if not more so. Well-written and I loved the fight scene as well as how it is told from Kenshin's perspective. Wonderful job, and thanks for writing.
unsung soldier chapter 1 . 4/20/2011
wow... this was verry sad but a great oneshot. Congrats on it being very well written.
NinePhantomDragons chapter 1 . 9/9/2010
This is a good one shot, a nice continuation fic. I can't believe how old it is, though.
Mariagoner chapter 1 . 6/28/2010
Very sweet, very sad, and very appropriate for Kenshin. Lovely story.
Kenshin's Soul chapter 1 . 5/9/2010
I can't believe I missed this fic. I been reading RK fics since either 2003 or 2004. ; I saw your fic in L. Mouse's favorites folder and the title caught my attention because it's an unusal title so I had to read it.

Even though I admired Kaoru for her determination and not so traditional like Japanese girls are supposed to be but I dislike her for beating him so much in the manga and the TV series. :( Anyway, I did cry for she died because death can be hard to deal with. I thought for sure Kenshin will be dead because the Death Reaper beat him. ; I love the little guy saying "Father, why are you lying in the walkway? Did you fall down and hurt yourself?" (you forgot your question mark at the end of that sentence)

I love the interaction between granddaughter and grandfather.

My other favorite is this:

"No. Someone else. He came by twenty years ago this day. I offered to dance with him, and we did."

"You danced with a man? I thought only girls could dance with boys."

Hee hee. Cute but funny. Then it was wam, bam, thank you

ma'am when it was Kenshin's time to die. I cried again!

You did a wonderful job writing this fic, even though it's 9 years old.
Brukaoru chapter 1 . 4/25/2009
This was fantastic! Very well written and the plot is really great. I love how in tune to the characters it really is. Excellent work!
Silent Avid Magma chapter 1 . 12/2/2008
Exquisite. Truly something worthy of reading. I think im going to have to read more of your stuff.
54 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »