Reviews for Contradictions
Sirius-Black-is-not-dead chapter 1 . 9/23/2010
A worthwhile discussion to be sure- a good story to read.
Rissika chapter 1 . 6/17/2010
Really like it!
xxClosed Accountxx chapter 1 . 1/27/2010
“There are a few causes worth dying for, but only a few. Gold and diamonds are not among them. Land can be, when it is one’s own land that is under attack but when we are the invading conquerors, driven by greed . . . These causes are not worth the cost of human blood.”

I can't agree more. I love the subject you brought up in here i.e. the purpose of wars and the army; and I loved your thoughtful approach to it. I definitely share Watson's thoughts - or should I say your thoughts - about wars, armies and invading other countries.

I, too, love your Watson. He is very much in character while you provide us with his background and make him an independent individual having his own experiences and having a mind of his own.

You are a respectable intelligent person and an amazingly skilled writer. I love your work.
Susicar chapter 1 . 5/30/2008
Brilliant fic, this is a gift to this fandom, a piece of quality. And you make me remember the war of 1982, when i have 15 years, and the English army fight with our army in the south Atlantic for the Malvinas (here you call "Falkland"), but undoubtedly Margareth Tatcher ARE'T like the good and whort Dr. Watson.
aragonite chapter 1 . 5/27/2008
Thanks for this. I know too many people who chose the military because it was BETTER than the life they were living in. A good, sensible and sensitive approach to a subject many people find difficult to talk about.

"If you must know surgery, then go to war."

-attributed to Hippocrates
Lirenel chapter 1 . 5/27/2008
Very nice summary of war and the army. As someone who comes from a family full of military personnel, going back several generations, I have the utmost respect and admiration for those who serve in the military. However, I find myself rather disgusted with how governments use their militaries, i.e. not in defense but in offense and for purposes that are not just by any measure but their own. Good job in showing this.
pebbles66 chapter 1 . 5/26/2008
Thank you so much for writing this! It seems that Watson and I share several opinions about war and the military. You did an excellent job with this, very thoughtful and respectful. Perfect for Memorial Day.
smallrose chapter 1 . 5/26/2008
Wow! This is impressive. I love the way you portray Watson - as a person all himself, with his own history, not just the sidekick and biographer of the famous detective.
bcbdrums chapter 1 . 5/26/2008
hmm...well done. you establish the characters very well, as well as the time frame of their relationship. your work is always very impressive :)
Chewing Gum chapter 1 . 5/26/2008
Not much to say other than "Aww...". It's so interesting to see the two when they were still awkward flatmates rather than bosom buddies.
KCS chapter 1 . 5/26/2008
Ah, I was like, wait a second, I thought the Boer War ended in '02 - thanks for the history lesson. :)

And thanks for a very nicely done oneshot - perfect for Memorial Day (can't believe I totally spaced about the holiday, but I'd not have been able to come up with anything like this for HWH so cool that you did) and perfect sentiments, for which I applaud. You handled a somewhat volatile subject (in our day at least) in a respectful and honourable manner - well done!