Reviews for Fire In the Night
Her Fantasy chapter 1 . 7/5/2013
A clever and original piece of writing! I like the idea and really enjoyed reading this. I did find the flashbacking a bit confusing and unnecessary, so I think you should reread and consider just putting the whole thing in chronological order.

One thing that I’d strongly recommend changing is the deviation from the dragon’s viewpoint. The paragraph that begins “It has been said . . .” doesn’t fit very well in the context of a narration from the dragon’s viewpoint, so it should probably be edited (reread within the context to see what I mean). And later on, when you mention the small bit of exposed flesh, you’re mentioning something the dragon is unaware of, which can’t really be done if it’s from the dragon’s point of view.

Back to the positive—I really like these two sentences: “Thud, went his tail again; a clump of coins was sent tumbling down a mound nearby. Fury flashed in the Dragon's eyes, and the whole room seemed to gleam with a deep and frightening red glow.” Beautiful writing!

I also like: “The Lake sizzled and hissed as fire met water and fantastic fogs rose into the dark.” Nice!
Keep writing!
CarsonandMrs.Hughes4ever chapter 1 . 12/14/2011
A great story. Very well written.
LadyKatherine29 chapter 1 . 12/24/2008
I really enjoyed this. You did a wonderful job. We rarely see fic from old Smaugs pov. Which is a crime due to the fact he really is aswsome to work with. Excellent work.
An Aspiring Author chapter 1 . 5/29/2008
wow! what a great one-shot! its been years since i read the hobbit, but your story brought it all back for me! i loved it! it was so well-written!
Rynorean chapter 1 . 5/26/2008
What a Gem! I'm so glad i've started browsing the LOTR fiction again. An unusual character to choose. Well done!
Calenlass Greenleaf chapter 1 . 5/26/2008
Interesting POV. Rarely do people write on Smaug. I liked this.