Reviews for The Unseen War I: Tyranny Reborn
ElmStreet chapter 12 . 3/4/2014
Wow! You are an amazing writer.
Brave November chapter 13 . 1/3/2014
This is awesome! Your writing is on par or better than most of the SW EU style-wise, and plot-wise exceeds quite a lot of it. If this were a book, I wouldn't have been able to put it down. I MUST read the rest. This is such a great find, since I gave up the EU when the Yuzang Vong popped out of nowhere. I read most of the EU between Zahn's series' when I was about 13, so my thinking was more "Star Wars! Cool!" than critical, and it kind of hurts to go back and read something I thought was amazing and realize it just. . .wasn't. . .but this is a more than adequate consolation!
Brave November chapter 5 . 1/2/2014
So, staying up to read fanfic probably isn't the best decision I could've made after work, but I don't regret it. You seem like an author who knows his shit, and. . .honestly, I should probably go into a spiel about characterization and specific phrases I was was impressed with, or knitting various character's paths into some realistic convergence, but I'm beat. All I can say for now is that I'm gonna be reading this and enjoying it. Maybe at some point I'll be lucid enough to type a proper review, gods know you've got enough chapters to give plenty of opportunity. I'm actually disappointed that I have to stop reading now to sleep!
Serendipity chapter 13 . 7/4/2013
Four things:
1: Yes, I know they this thing was finished five years ago, but these things still bear saying.
2. This was a fantastic story, on the level of the One Missed Strike series and Galaxies Apart. Funny, scary, interesting, fun dialogue, violence... you know. Star Wars.
3. Mathew Stover does do good work, doesn't he?
4. I'm sure everyone else and their grandmother had already done this, but I would like to throw in a thing or two regarding the direction that the EU has gone. Like everyone else, I think Zahn did incredibly good work in laying the groundwork, not to mention telling some damn good stories. But dismissing everything that comes after his work (as well as backhanding SotP and VotF) seems narrow minded to me. Star Wars evolved over the years: perhaps it was due to oversaturation of books like Children of the Jedi, but moral relativism was the clearest way to go. The existing Dark Side/Light Side system was just too black and white, particularly as we moved into the 21st century, which was just FILLED with relativism. Just like the Empire couldn't be comprised entirely of goose stepping assholes, not every single one of the good guys can be a paragon of the "light side". People, force users or not, are people. They make mistakes, they slip back, they have moments of pettiness and cruelty. It's life. Introducing that mindset to Star Wars changed it irrevocably; whether that's a good things or not is contested, obviously.

Well, I got my opinion out. Loved the fic.
I'll just step out now.

P.S Perhaps I'm being idealistic, but despite its sillier qualities (and a disturbingly glossed over body count caused by a teenager) I think the new Fate of the Jedi series is definitely worth reading, if only for the time it spends on the legal ramifications of something like the Jedi Order. Food for thought.

Thanks,
Serendipity
maesde chapter 13 . 7/2/2013
Awesome fic :D continuing with Part II!
bec chapter 13 . 8/24/2012
I have been blown away by this fic! I could not put it down, I love the Luke/ Mara storyline and can't wait to read what happens next. Will Luke have to face the clone of father? (Gasps) can't wait to read how that plays out. Please finish this trilogy and write part three.
You can't not finish something this WONDERFUL. I wish you could publish this in print, I would buy it in a nanosecond. It is way better than profic. I, too, started losing interest in them but still read them because I was starved for Luke /Mara interaction, and wanted to see Ben Skywalker's development.
pacificuser chapter 6 . 11/29/2011
cool!
SandwichesYumYum chapter 12 . 4/24/2011
Brilliant. Just brilliant. Thank you kindly.
Astravega chapter 4 . 10/15/2010
k im gonna be honest... i still dont get what this story is about :P

but its kinda fun to see the mystery unravel :P

good thing the story keeps sucking me in, just like the dark side :P haha
meek-bookworm chapter 12 . 10/9/2009
Loved this one too! Your way of switching between pov was ever so clever, the lifted quotes were fun, and I loved the L/M moments and Han and the imperials teaming up. I'm guessing the senator Leia teamed up with and Luke doesn't like is some super secret traitor? Oh Leia. I thought the cloning was a tad bit unoriginal, but the feedback sensors were neat. The alliance of Karrade femfatals is wonderful! Thrawn!Han and amazing operatives Luke, Mara, R2-D2, and Mara's deadly older siblings were my favorite bits.

Thanks for writing!

~mb
Jasaa chapter 13 . 7/10/2009
Your story was very good.

There were few things I appreciated in your story

Firstly most of your characters were not OOC and thats always nice thing. I loved your version of Daala, but then I hated Leia's slips to dark side. Without those two counted there werent any too OOC charcters (well I cant really know since I havent and I wont read other than Zahn's star wars books), but if there were other OOCs atleast they didnt disrupt me.

Secondly you had made some nice research. I really appreciate it when author makes the effort to make story as "smooth" (in lack of better word) as possible.

Thirdly story itself was quite nice. There were many small things I liked in it... Han outmaneuvering imperial fleet with smugler tactics, Mara's thoughts about artoo, Karrde's thoughts about force, Relationship of Mara and Shada, Noghris that accompanied Luke and Mara, Mara's training in Dagobah among others.

Ofcourse there were some things that I disliked too... I really didnt like idea of cloned jedi masters. Leia reminded me too much about palpatine and his rise to power, but I guess that was what you intended. Character deaths of even so minor characters than gillespee and mazzic (I always hate character deaths) and Karrde's problems with his organization I would have really liked to see smuglers alliance in action.

Thanks for good story.
superninjamonkey chapter 12 . 11/12/2008
Excellent.
Namonaki Pharaoh chapter 12 . 11/9/2008
OMG, this story is incredible! I love the interaction b/w Luke & Mara. The lightsaber fight in the horrid honeymoon suite *shudders* was fantastic. I love the suspense and Flint's involvement, and bringing Shira into the mix makes it even better.

Leia nearly going darkside was a definite surprise, but so well done. I can literally see the story you're creating and you are keeping true to the characters.

I spent most of the time intrigued or laughing. You set up a great AU of the Star Wars universe, and I cannot wait to read more of your stories.

Oh, to be a pain, Luke and Mara are not that tall at all. Does Mark Hamill look 5' 9" to you? XD

The Essential Guide to characters is 1.72m for Luke & 1.6m for Mara. In conversion, that makes Luke around 5'6"/5'7" (thou Mark is 5'6"?)and Mara around 5'3"/5'4". Han is, according to my version of metric/english systems and the guide, about 5'10"/5'11" (though we all know Harrison Ford is taller than that). Random information where you probably want to smack me, but hey, it's 5am and I should be sleeping, not reviewing!

Great job! :)
Afan chapter 5 . 10/24/2008
Awesome fanfic so far-I agree, I didn't care all that much for the JA trilogy; I'd much rather have this be canon. Kudos on a job very well done. That being said, I do have one question: If the clones Luke and Mara have been fighting are clones of Jedi Masters-and, according to Luke, exactly like the Joruus C'boath clone from T-why don' they use the Force more?

When Luke tangled with them on Genesia, he used a Force push at least two or three times, yet it wasn't until him and Mara fought another group in that Sith Temple that one of the clones thought to do the same. Joruus C'boath, on the other hand, not only used the force in various ways on a regular basis, he nearly overwhelmed the combined efforts and powers of Luke, Mara and Leia. Just something I found odd.
Emote Control chapter 12 . 10/9/2008
I loved the story, but it seems to me that you've missed the most logical way for Lumiya to survive Kinooine.

*Clearly* that was actually a clone of Lumiya which had received the same cybernatic replacements she'd had, she sent it to die on Kinooine so that she could fool the Empire and the Rebellion both into thinking she was dead. After that she could begin building up her own network, so she could take power herself someday ...