Reviews for Fresh Air
00-night-eyes-00 chapter 1 . 1/7
love it
Guest chapter 1 . 10/18/2012
Why doesn't Donnie ever tell Charlie the truth
He's an obnoxious spoiled little brat
Am I the only person who sees this?
Maybe it's time I wrote a version of this tale.
Kushera Knez chapter 1 . 1/3/2012
Yep! margaret spoiled Charlie. All she ever thought about was him. I suspect Donnie didn't ever get one decent birthday
Whirlwind421 chapter 1 . 12/31/2011
Great story! The ending was sad.
csimesser1 chapter 1 . 1/18/2010
that was good loved it
blueblackangel chapter 1 . 1/16/2010
Aw, that's so sad! It was well-written and I loved your story :)
epalladino chapter 1 . 6/14/2009
Excellent version of that incident. Thanks, Beth
Ivette Boveda chapter 1 . 6/20/2008
what a bitter, sad ending! I loved this fic!
Serialgal chapter 1 . 6/4/2008
Really nice, jlm. I did a one-shot on this too - it seemed to beg for it, didn't it? You more than did it justice.
1st endeavor chapter 1 . 6/3/2008
Just found this story and really enjoyed it. I could picture this really happening to the Eppes boys and felt it fell right in line with the show.
Muffin Spex chapter 1 . 6/2/2008
Aw young charlie stories are always cute
tearbos chapter 1 . 6/1/2008
That was very nice, but sad too. I imagine it was probably like that for them, and it's sad that their relationship was so rocky for so long.

Great job balancing the humor with the angst too.
Jelsemium chapter 1 . 6/1/2008
Poor Don, having to babysit during his birthday campout! Poor Charlie, just wanting to be included, and having it turn into a nightmare.

I agree with the other reviewers, this was one of the worst mistakes Margaret and Alan could have made. I guess Margaret was just wishing for a nice weekend to herself.

Alan's knee-jerk reaction was understandable, but really bad parenting. Don wasn't thrilled at having Charlie, therefore, I'm going to saddle Don with Charlie! Bad form. Alan should have figured out something to do with Charlie while the older boys went off on their own.

Anyway, this was an excellent story to bring out all this strong opinions about how two fictional characters should have behaved better. (And this wasn't even in the show. It was just a passing mention!)
Patty chapter 1 . 5/31/2008
Good job, I definitely enjoyed this version of Don's 13th birthday.

I thought you described both brothers' feelings exceptionally well. You told Don's

way of looking at the imposition of looking after Charlie and then Charlie's side of

the story so that I sympathized with each brother. And you described Margaret in a

way I love. Angry at Alan, worried about Charlie, understanding of Don, the ideal,

loving mother.

It's so hard to grow up. Sigh . . Feelings are hurt but love eventually will win the day.
suze chapter 1 . 5/31/2008
I really enjoyed this story - it was an interesting look at the young Don and Charlie. My only quibble, and this is not intended as a criticism for what is a very good story, is that you touched upon Alan and Margaret realising that they'd made a mistake with asking too much of Don and both acknowledging how he'd be hurting too. This could have been looked at a bit more deeply. Margaret had forgotten all about Don's worry at the end and in the drive up she was thinking about him and thinking Alan wouldn't have noticed. Admittedly she was overwhelmed with relief but it was a point you'd mentioned in the story and I think it would have added depth to the story if you'd just written a bit more about this, even as an epilogue. If this point of view hadn't arisen in the story, I wouldn't have missed it, but you'd done such a good job with actually addressing their thoughts, I really felt the lack of resolution. However, please know this isn't meant in a nasty way at all. The fact that I read this story and was thinking about it several hours later shows that I really did enjoy it:)