Reviews for Prelude to Ashes
Authors Note1 chapter 3 . 6/17/2008
... Every single hair I have is standing up. Ohmigosh. Very deep and emotional. Do you need a hug? I need a hug now! lol. Great job, but you already know how amazing you are. _
The Scarlet Sky chapter 3 . 6/16/2008
"SOS." (Darn, my Jonas-obsessed sister is now singing that song as I type...)

Well. This was, of course, amazing. I love how descriptive you are, and even when there's little dialogue, the characters' personas are as vivid as can be. Meryl, in particular, has a strong voice...though I guess that's obvious, since it's her POV. And I also thought it was interesting you chose Katie to be her friend; it makes sense, but I wouldn't have thought of it, myself.

I can understand Meryl's calmness with Dan, too: the part where she mentioned how much easier it was to be yourself around strangers was pretty profound. Around Dan, she's not the girl who lost her best friend. She's just Meryl. (Though hopefully in later chapters they'll be soemthing more...)

One last thing: I adore how neatly you tie up your thoughts. This line, in particular, seemed fitting:

"I cringed as the door smacked shut. I thought I heard, in the faintest squeak of the door hinge, Tim."

Great work. Amazing work.
Tozz chapter 3 . 6/16/2008
okay, wow. I completely adore this chapter. I love the exchanges with Katie and Dan; although the words were fairly simple the scenes were super engaging and a lot of depth. I liked the "putty in her demanding hands" and "six years younger mentally" lines with Katie. It really built up this detailed description... I also liked Meryl's accidentally "disturbing" suggestion, and the rest of her conversation with Dan...your dialogue has really improved in my opinion.

I'll try to stop drooling all over the computer monitor now, haha. great work. :)
King of Apple Pie chapter 2 . 6/10/2008
"Fear us"? Why?

Hm. Interesting atmosphere you got going here. Alright...
The Scarlet Sky chapter 2 . 6/10/2008
"Fear us."

So are you going to write Meryl x Dan? You and your crazy noncanon pairings...why exactly are you laughing at Gustafa x Muffy when you come up with all this crazy stuff on your own?

But I'm sure I'll love it. Definitely.

I love how Meryl is disgusted by the perfection of the dream-it makes the atmosphere more frightening than friendly, oddly enough. You'd think perfection would be wonderful, but now it's eerie and dark...

I'm going to shut up now and say what I meant to say to begin with: I love this. A lot. And the best part is I can tell you love writing it, too. :)
The Scarlet Sky chapter 1 . 6/2/2008
Your potato is awed, and strongly believes you could outwrite Stephen King. Honestly.

It's such an interesting idea: a singer-a siren, perhaps?-whose song frightens some and entices others. And of course, there's the chilling murder, and the suspense that's making me die to read more.

I really don't want to see this on hiatus. I really, really don't. .

Great first chapter. We need more.
Tozz chapter 1 . 6/2/2008
Erika! That was really incredible. I love how you always use obscure adjectives like "viridian" in a totally non-obnoxious way. Your use of color to describe things is so impressive! I also really like the contrast between the two narratives. I'm intrigued! I'll be waiting for more. :)
RainbowMelody chapter 1 . 6/1/2008

Your writing is freakin' godly.

I mean it. When I can read something and have to wrap myself up in a blanket because of the chills it gives me, you know it has to be good. I'm glad it wasn't dark outside when I started reading this because I would never get to sleep... your horror writing skills are EPIC WIN. Enough said.

You've also somehow managed to make Meryl one of my favourite characters. I always seem to fall in love with the characters who die early on in a story. Darn you and your making me cry in the first chapter. XD That's a real talent. I don't cry often. And your stories make me cry with epic powers of awesomeness.

I have only one more thing to say: WRITE MORE. Write more or I shall sing beautifully and then stab you with a tree vine plant thing, because that's one of the most epic ways to kill someone I've ever read about. :3 Go you!
Authors Note1 chapter 1 . 6/1/2008
... Ohmigosh. Poor Tim. Who was the singer? I thought it was a siren. No, not the loud obnoxious police sirens, like Meryl probably heard, but like a mermaid's... I read to much mythology. Don't bother listening to me. Anyways, back to you, amazing as usual. Ten bucks that the singer is Jamie! Hehe. Or, the goddess. So sad. A little confusing though. But, then again, I AM me.
CherreeSherree chapter 1 . 5/31/2008