Reviews for The Book of Nightmares
Shadow131 chapter 1 . 7/21/2014
"A milk-blue lake." Damn, now that is a descriptor. That is damned awesome. Hot damn, is really what this makes me say. So wonderfully, fully written as a dream. Describing the orbs for leaves is what really made me able to picture that scene. So...fairy-like, and so dream-esque.
The hospital scene is freaking EERIE, not to mention sad...this is really reminiscent of "Erlkonig," and since I'm a chicken I have a hard time reading it - but I can't look away, because it's too well done.
And "hay-moon hair." God, stop being amazing! And "intestinal" is the PERFECT description of the castle hallways. Your description of how Jareth loves saying her name is both delicious and deplorable - just like the Goblin King.
I like the picture you paint of the transcendent Sarah, and the bitter sadness that comes with the necklace of thorns - the collar that shows how hurt she really is.
The sex scene was wicked, horrible and beautiful, all at the same time - which is exactly as it should be. Three cheers and then some for a great concept piece!
Whyndancer chapter 1 . 7/7/2014
Strange and confusing, but compelling
EarthyMeadow chapter 1 . 5/12/2014
I have to be honest...i was confused throught the entire story but dreams have never really been straight forward have they? So you get points for that. I couldnt get a grasp on why jareth wants her n how she was between worlds. I felt that bit was left unexplained and I think you could have gone into depth to explain her ultimate destination a bit more. Still i enjoyed the way you wrote in detail and jareths level of torture was twisted and menacing and cruel and written brilliantly. I good confusing read lol. If you write about dreams this is the way to go ;-)
TheRealEatsShootsAndLeaves chapter 1 . 10/2/2013
"the prick of his voice like a tiny crow pecking her eardrum"

Like this a lot.
silfursvik chapter 1 . 8/1/2013
oh my gosh that was sooooooo good! absolutely brilliant work actually, I love the style it flows in. so beautifully written. but Jareth is so evil! ;_;
pamelawright chapter 1 . 7/28/2011
This is one of the best Labyrinth fics I have ever read.

Adult Labyrinth is so tricky to write. You have given Jareth all the essence of the cruel Fae, and not given us too much as readers. It is always better to give a little too little when writing, so it stretches the readers imagination and gives us space for our own story.

This is masterfully done. You said this was based on a dream you had. Must have been some dream.
Goth Jedi chapter 1 . 6/21/2011
*shivers* Creepy, yet utterly fantastic. A highly original story that you have crafted here, one that I must commend you upon. Being both a fan of Labyrinth and A Nightmare on Elm Street, I found a strong liking to the "dream-invasion" scenario that is central to the plot of this fic. I also liked the present-tense tone, as it makes Sarah's predicament all the more surreal and confusing. Its hard to find the words that can accurately describe the sheer eerieness that your fic effortlessly exhibits, but make no mistake, the "creepy" factor makes this story absolutely remarkable.

And Jareth *shivers again*... I can honestly say, this is one of the creepiest portrayals of his character I have seen to date. He is just so cruel and sinister and... again, its difficult to find the exact words to describe him. I could'nt help but give off a slight shudder after reading each of his scenes.

I also loved the way in which you portray Sarah; she just seems so innocent and helpless, specifically in her scenes with Jareth. Even though she is twenty-four in this fic, I couldn't help but feel that she was just a young girl. She just seems so fragile, specifically in the scene where Jareth offers her food after starving her;

" 'Sarah, ' he coos her name. ' Would you like something to eat? '

She nods, ready to burst into tears.

' Of course you do. Poor thing.'"

God, Jareth is just so sadistic in that scene. I couldn't help but shudder at the coldness and cruelty he exhibits there.

All in all, this was a fantastic read. Definetely one of the better fics here on the site. I hope to see more of your works.

Cheers :)
Reddragon13x chapter 1 . 12/25/2010
This is written in that abstract sort of style I love, so I am probably quite biased. But I loved it ;) Awesome job.
Surelady chapter 1 . 12/16/2010
I thought this was a very powerful and beautiful (even in its more grotesque moments) take on, what I perceived as, the Persephone/Hades tale. Very well written, thanks for sharing!
Lady Azura chapter 1 . 7/19/2010
I can't even think of what to say. I really enjoyed this, though. It was so deliciously dark!
Threatens and Adores chapter 1 . 12/29/2009
Oh my, wow.

What a fantastic story! Very detailed and dark. Admittedly, I didn't exactly get what was going on half the time, but it didn't really matter because the action was very intense.

Okay, I hope that all made sense! Lovely job!
Ellen Weaver chapter 1 . 10/12/2009
A really delicious story.

I think my favorite part (the whole story, full of psychosexual imagery, is well done) is how you weave together grotesque and disgusting elements together with the beautiful and transcendent. It's not all velvet and lace, it's jewelry made of slime and crowns made of brambles. That's almost the essence of what faerie is like, I think, and why I love this story so much, despite the Persephone-style ending.

I really hate to see Sarah die, because in terms of mythology she's done the hero's part in running the labyrinth. Then again, we all know what the Goblin King replies to "it's not fair."
J Luc Pitard chapter 1 . 7/8/2009
Loved the surreal quality of this and the switching between horror and something slightly less sinister. The small snippets of "real" life where her body was dying (thanks to Jareth's pushing her mentally, if you ask me) and the dreams he was putting her through to break her and turn her into the slightly celestial woman he could have contrast well. Each is their own horror.

Well done, I'd say. It creeped me out, but kept me thinking at the same time.
awriterscorned chapter 1 . 6/15/2009
I liked the dreamlike quality of it but in some ways it was a bit too intangible to reap the emotions of the moment. Perhaps that was intended, as a full-on realizing of them would have taken away from the murky aspect of her comatose state. Good work though.
Jen2137 chapter 1 . 5/31/2009
Holy shit! That was awesome!