Reviews for Home Road
VicariousWindows chapter 3 . 4/15
I can't even handle how good this is. And there's 11 more chapters to look forward to? But I had to stop and say thank you. These are the moments in the show that become so painfully real when we try to imagine the thoughts and experiences beyond what the show gives us. To hear their thoughts now, all the subtexts weaving through... It's such a treat. I think at least from my perspective you've captured it exactly as I would have imagined it should be.
ImpalaLove chapter 14 . 7/12/2014
I'm absolutely speechless. I flew through this story and enjoyed every single chapter. You managed to create an incredible new world within the Supernatural world and I loved the roles that people (demons?) like Ruby and Bela ended up playing. Seriously this was just so flawless and so amazing and I really don't know what else to say besides WOW. I know it's an old story but holy crap, it's phenomenal.
shookenuppepsi chapter 14 . 2/18/2013
I just want to say, you are amazing. Home Road is dark and emotional and scary, yet it ends with hope. All of it put a tear in my eye. The contrast between how Dean and Sam deal with loss was profound and utterly true. For all his confidence, Dean has always been insecure and willing to give up his everything for his family. Sam, on the other hand, really does go cold when he loses Dean. While Dean wishes he was never born so those he loved could be happy, Sam thinks the world might as well burn because he couldn't care less about it. Suicide versus murder. Fascinating.

Your Ruby I also really liked. In your Afterword you say something about how her trying to redeem herself and balancing between dark and light caught your interest, and I'm agreed. Season 3 Ruby really did have that interplay along with her scorched edges from being a demon and surviving hell with some sense of morality intact. And now I'm getting into my own opinion, but season 4 Ruby's betrayal frustrated me because I really could see her as an eventual force for good.

If your story could have been how the show actually went, I can easily see a branch off show where Ruby and a sidekick fight off the apocalypse in fifty years.

Seriously though, your writing is top-notch. Absolutely love it.
pinklatent chapter 14 . 6/29/2012
It should be a crime to enjoy this much darker, twisted Sam. It kinda scares me, but I can't stop rooting for him. It's a moral dilemmas.

And I find your analogy of how the brothers cope (or not cope) when the other one dies very interesting. Dean implodes on himself, and Sam explodes and lashes out. Ah, Winchesters, they take maladjustment to a new level.

And I really like the way you wrote Ruby, which is huge cause I hate Ruby... well, the 2nd version, anyway. When she first appeared in season 3 I thought she had a lot of potential to be a sneaky, wily, evil-but-kinda-not ally for the brothers. But then Ruby 2.0 came and flipped it up. And I like her better as you wrote her, self-serving but on the good side.

Brilliant story! The brothers were awesome, Bobby was awesome, your OCs were great, and the mythos you wrote in are interesting. Got me hooked and reading till 3 in the morning.
Vampyre Moon chapter 14 . 4/8/2011
I've wanted to review a few of your fics but haven't been sure what to say. Generally I love what you write (except the behind the fic and the preview of a new fic which I find annoying) but haven't been, you know, *moved* properly. Keep in mind that I have been reading from your profile, newest fics first and going backwards, so I am getting an interesting view of you as an author. I understand you to some degree, the bit about being a dean girl but finding sam...a tasty challenge that is hard to resist. Not that I publish.

But anyway, this fic hit me the right way. I *wanted* ruby to be a good guy, or at least part of the story. Season 4 was a bummer that way, and season 5 for sure. I was really rooting for her... Also, I LOVE sam's actions and motivations in this. I did find your hell to be a bit weak but then I have seen what kripke's hell was like...

Anyway, please consider this to be a vote of 'love you' and all that good stuffdespite my rambling cause that is how it was meant [o:
Cristalake chapter 14 . 3/20/2011
I love your stories... I really really do... :-)
Emmers224 chapter 14 . 11/22/2010
This is amazing! From the very start you had me roped in, unable to let this go until I finished reading. Your dark Sam was so spot on. A Sam without Dean is a scary person. You covered that wonderfully well. Him holding a gun on civilians is something I kinda expected to see after Dean died. Kid's brother just died. Can't expect him to be rational.

The whole plot line of this is just genius. Definitely captivating. Everything from Sam committing suicide just to get into Hell to find Dean to Dean's amazing recovery despite all odds. It just blew me away. I was reading this during work, iif that tells you how amazing I found this. I'm honored to add this as a favorite. :)
Ampanda chapter 1 . 12/14/2009
I have to admit I'm more of a Sam girl than a Dean girl, and I have kind of been avoiding depictions of Dean's time in Hell. At the same time I love AU depictions on cannon events, and your summary for this story really intrigued me.

I just read the entire story in one sitting because I could literally not pull myself away from it. I loved how you tread the line between light and dark with Sam. I loved the way you portrayed Dean in his time in Hell. And most of all I love that you made me like Ruby again. I loved Ruby in season three, never knowing exactly what was going on in her head, season four kind of ruined her character for me even before we found out what her end game was. But the path of redemption that you put her on was just fascinating and incredibly relatable. One of my favorite scenes was when Dean asked Ruby if she was "Still chasing after the light?" and she answered "Always."

Wow that was alot more long winded than I intended lol, anyways brilliant story!
AmyNY chapter 14 . 12/13/2009
Well, I finally finished reading this, and I have to say I'm really surprised it doesn't have more reviews really. It had one of the most original takes on the whole Dean getting out of hell plot I've read so far. Your take on Ruby was also really great, I love that you kept her in the same body because the new Ruby isn't even close to Katie Cassidy's. Her conversations with Dean were really in character for both of them, especially the last one, really lovely :) Also I think your answer to why the boys would stop hunting was believable, I can see something similar happening in the show. I also liked the open ending you left there regarding Dean and his future, it was nice to see him come to that realization - that he may not know what he wants right now but that he can do anything he chooses to, that it's those options that make life interesting, options other than being in hell or heaven or as he said once burial or cremation.

P.S. I loved the parallel about Dean's first word when he got back from hell, the first word in this new life was Sammy and Sam's first word when he was a baby being Dean. For me you showed their connection very well in such a simple way.
BarbaraGER chapter 14 . 11/29/2009
Hey, this is your new fan speaking again, digging through your archive and reading story for story!

Once again, this ones been great. I loved how you portrayed Sam and his desperate and angry side. And the way you explained hell – not the typical hell with sizzling flesh and bones but the phsychological hell with mindgames and driving people mad and stuff. Dean reliving all the deaths of his beloved family and at some point realizing that it gets easier to imagine him being the one who suffers...awesome!

Well. I'm going to dig again. See ya with the next review...

Barbara
asdfjkl chapter 14 . 9/25/2009
well, you nailed sam on the head, that's for sure!

well done xD
MorgyBlack chapter 14 . 5/7/2009
Well, I can honesty say that you kept me hooked to your story in every single chapter, and it's quite an accomplishment, for I love Dean as a character and seeing him in hell, suffering, was absolutely heart breaking.

But I totally agree on your decision of making hell a detachment from what makes us human: feeling emotional pain. And I loved the darker tone to Sam, so revenge driven, so selfish, only thing he cares about is getting his big brother out of hell, it's so maquiavelic!

So, in the end, all there is to add is KEEP UP THE AWESOME WORK!
StoryTagger chapter 14 . 2/14/2009
Haha, that was pretty good...actually that was excellent. And your thoughts over everything come out so organized and detailed that it helps with certain points I see in the story. I did like the idea of the alternate ending...but knowing Ruby, she would do things in a totally new manner...I also don't think she would go with just one gun. In my head I pictured her surrounded by a legion of demons, with two Uzis in each hand and two more strapped to her sides...since she's in a demonically powered body she can probably carry a heck of a lot of weight around...and I just see her mowing down all these demons with those awesome guns...I think that would make Dean stare at her in awe...Sadly, I don't think Sam and Dean would be there with her...they've taken too many blows throughout their lives, especially Dean...but if they did make it there I can see 80 years sitting in one of those turret guns and just cranking out the fire power. That idea puts a smile on my face...I think a cool story would be to see Dean's reaction it a monster purposely damaged his baby though...I have wondered something though, if Sam can use a PA system to exorcise a hospital of demons...why couldn't that be done on a grander scale? a WHOLE CITY for instance...just bind all the city limits with a prefab devil's trap, and then just use like a tornado warning system to broadcast the signal...And then have a priest constantly blessing the town's supply of water...that would be an exorcism on a grand scale...um, would it be called a geno-exorcism...sort of like genocide? Eh, anyways I really liked the story, actually I've liked all of your stories I've read... :)
masondixon chapter 14 . 12/22/2008
Just read all 14 chapters of this story (and your afterword) and enjoyed it immensely.

I thought you did a great job with your description of hell. True hell, in my mind, is the regrets, pain and sorrow an individual feels regarding the ones that mean the most to them. Dean's true hell was having to live over and over again the death of his family. No physical pain and torture could hurt him more than that.

I like the way you made Sam take charge and do things that he needed to do to save Dean...above and below ground. He took hostages and made threats and called for help from the few people he trusted. And below ground he made a deal with the "devil" to save the one person he loved the most in the whole world. I would have done the very same thing for my own brother.

You made the characters real and alive and I felt their pain and their frustration and their hope and their fear and their desperation. Bobby, as always, was perfect and I was glad that Ruby was there for Dean. I always liked her character and the idea that a demon could still desire to be good.

I am grateful for your long chapters and I enjoy your work very much. I look forward to what comes next.
finajk chapter 14 . 11/25/2008
Very nice fic! I think your depiction of Dean's hell is very good, & not too mild. Torture can be many things, not just physical. I also liked the depiction of Sam getting very dark in just what he was willing to do in his quest to get Dean back, and Bobby saying that he was there to draw the line for him as to how far Sam should not go. Thanks!