Reviews for The Qualities of a Ranger
asdfjkl chapter 1 . 6/22/2009
thank you for not having aragorn just show up with the rangers at age like 20 or something and magically making him chieftain. thank you. too many authors do that! i mean honestly...

anyway, i liked it.

keep writing!
Baby Dragon chapter 1 . 4/25/2009
WOW! That was great, you about had me crying at a few parts. Love your stories and can't wait for another one.
RofS chapter 1 . 6/17/2008
Oh, long. Nice.

_
Irritable Insanity chapter 1 . 6/14/2008
Most excellent! (Okay, channeling the 80's surfer dude...purging)

Seriously, I like this. It's good to show the progression of Aragorn that we don't see. He probably wouldn't have been a prodigy from the start, and he would have had much to learn. Loved his reaction to sewing and cooking...it does seem like "woman's work", but in the wilds ya gotta tend to it all yourself.

I could also imagine him getting into fights with other young men at first. The Dunedain in general struck me as a proud lot, not neccesarily a bad thing, but it can be if no one's willing to back down. Young folk are especially unlikely to compromise, so it's easy to imagine the fight you discussed.

Loved the attributes of the warrior and Aragorn's trying to ascertain how to get them, and at the end showing how he learned them.
estelcontar chapter 1 . 6/2/2008
I enjoyed Estel's diary very much, Cal. I think you captured well what might be going through Aragorn's head through his long years as Chieftain of the Dunedain.

It got one of my votes.
StarLight9 chapter 1 . 6/2/2008
I loved this, Cal!
spacellamaprincess chapter 1 . 6/1/2008
Your idea to make this story a journal worked on several levels. As a beta-nitpicker I saw several "errors," but based on your AN, I figure that some of those were deliberate. And then I started noticing what kind of errors: seems to me that this young man who thinks he has a problem with humility sure does leave out the word "me" a lot. Was that intentional? I thought it was extraordinarily clever. Also, "I’m too young to be considered wise" is pretty darn good evidence of burgeoning wisdom. What a nifty bit of character insight here!