Reviews for That Word Honor
Sarahml chapter 1 . 1/2/2015
Oh so much wisdom in little Edmund! I do wonder what would have happened had the Pevencies not returned to England. An alternative universe Narnia story depicting their growth in their roles as Kings and Queens would be so nice to read... sighs. I liked this piece though for giving me a glimpse of how they would have lived after their adventures .
FandomFairy01 chapter 1 . 1/14/2013
Cool it was really good:)
Shadowcatisajerk chapter 1 . 6/13/2012
Very well written, it was deeper than I was expecting from fan-fiction-made me think a bit. I like how Edmund helps Peter see that he is going to have to change his way of thinking if he is going to make it in the "real world". Thank you for your story.
mysticmoon1331 chapter 1 . 9/12/2011
fantastic! you portrayed very well i think, some of the struggle peter had and his views. i enjoyed how you wrote edmund(he is my favorite character i have to say) and i wish to thank you for not only writing this fantastic fic but also sharing some of the history many of us are blind to from that time. thank you again and i wish you good luck and no writers block in all of your future writings. good luck!
bookwurm23 chapter 1 . 12/6/2009
I think you did wonderfully with this fic.

You really hit the nail on the head with their characters. One might say that Peter shouldn't have "overreacted", but I think that the fact that he /did/ overreact makes him more human, and much more believable. He feels strongly about this issue that has likely been fermenting in his mind, and so I can see why he reacts so strongly to the song; even if he was a kind in Narnia, surely some of his teenage self has been brought back? If you know what I'm trying to say.

And Edmund I thought was wonderful. His words are wise, and obviously well thought out. I think the way you had him talk to Peter indicated how well the brothers know each other, that Edmund can make Peter reevaluate something he feels so strongly about. His last line of "Easy. I just remember I don't have to be just or valiant or magnificent. I just have to be Edmund." I think that what you're talking about is how Edmund adjusts to England, though I could be wrong, and I think it really gives an insight to how different but similar the brothers are. Where Peter is worried about upholding honor and staying the same, Edmund, where he doesn't exactly /welcome/ the change, goes along with it, and accepts that things are bound to be different in this world than in Narnia. I hope I'm conveying this well enough that you know what I'm trying to get at!

Other than that, I thought you did really well; it was wonderfully written. I can only hope to one day be as good a writer as you!

God bless you and yours,

bookwurm23
ilovetoread38 chapter 1 . 8/18/2009
this was really good! you nailed the characters!
Victoria Alatamir Wan chapter 1 . 7/17/2009
I really, really like the story. It's a good idea. ;)

V.
Elspeth.Davidson chapter 1 . 5/4/2009
Overall, I like this! I think that your portrayal of Edmund as extremely thoughtful and one who would have already dealt with this issue seems true to character. I'm a little more uncertain about Peter; it seems like a 'stoic', if that's the way you envision him, might just get up and leave the room, rather than fighting about the radio. I suppose it depends on your take of his maturity level.

Note about killing civilians - I don't exactly know what the widespread feeling was in England at that time, but civilian protection was not formalized as a international rule of war until 1977, I believe. After millenia of civilian casualties being an accepted fact, civilian protection is an extremely new idea.

I enjoyed reading this!
D.J. Adams chapter 1 . 2/1/2009
Great job!

As Always,

Desi
annoyinglyanonymous chapter 1 . 1/22/2009
Tremendous.
surreptitiouspen chapter 1 . 12/29/2008
Very powerful. I especially liked the line

'Edmund said quietly, a deadly sort of calm quiet, the kind that unnerves you when you’re not expecting it.'

In light of Edmund's movie-canon character (who puts himself at unnecessary risk to save his father's photo) and also the changed Edmund after LWW the inflection you indicated he used was perfect. Edmund will never be the hero Peter was, but his growth has changed him into a much more pensive young man. As he experienced 'both sides' of good and evil in LWW, I can see him reasoning in this sort of Devil's Advocate manner.

As for Peter's character, I'm not too sure. I've always wondered about C.S. Lewis' idea of what happens to these children after they've grown so much mentally. It's hard for me to imagine just what would be going through their heads, Peter especially. He's a character that gives his all to everything he pursues, protective, loyal, and honorable to a fault, as is mentioned in Prince Caspian during his battle with Miraz. I'm not sure if he would feel betrayed by Aslan, or simply understand that the life he had been given in Narnia was temporary but still a blessing. I'm inclined to believe the later (which is in part due to my deep affection for Peter's character.)

Amid my waffling I do have a point, I promise. I like that Peter's anger stems from his protection of true honor and chivalry, and from his moral repulsion of a war fought between countries, not men (another line I found aces.) What I don't like about your characterization is the sort of petty ways he expresses his anger. Like in the film adaption of Prince Caspian, Peter is reduced to an angry young man who feels thwarted and betrayed. He uses his fists to work out his frustrations, and your Peter overreacts and picks unnecessary fights.

Overall, I really like this fic. Too few fanfiction authors try to tackle the 'after-Narnia' life of the Pevensies, and I think it's something that is really important to their characters (Susan in particular. Have you read Gaiman's short story yet? It's an interesting take; I'm interested to hear your opinion of it.)

Cheers

Pen

(Mallory)
esmedancer chapter 1 . 12/2/2008
I really loved this story and would love to read that paper. I think you captured Peter's cjaracter bery well.
turkeyish chapter 1 . 11/10/2008
Really great fic. I'm endlessly fascinated not only by the dynamics between Peter and Edmund Pevensie as brothers in school, but also by the way they carry over their relationship as Narnia's the Magnificent and the Just to England. Add to that the way they cope with the differences between England and Narnia and...I'm basically in fanfic heaven. Also interesting is the way you have Edmund knocking some sense, as it were, into Peter. In my head, I see their roles as reversed. But then after reading this I think, well, why wouldn't Peter have a harder time dealing post-Narnia? He is, after all, the High King, and felt the weight of ruling more heavily, perhaps, than his siblings had to. But I'm just rambling now. What I mean to say is I love this. :)
magdilen chapter 1 . 10/17/2008
Good job - very IC
PhoebeDreams chapter 1 . 10/7/2008
Very interesting story! You pointed out brilliantly what made the wars of the 20th century so different from these before: That they were not men fighiting men. Doing so in a Narnia fanfic is brilliant, for of course, Peter and Edmund would be just about the only persons their age who knew what war used to be like before, and felt this strongly about it. (I hope I'm making sense here.)