Reviews for Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Silver Resistance
Zion of Arcadia chapter 16 . 2/3
Sorry it's taken so long to get this up. I've been distracted reading other fics and writing my own stuff. I don't intend to stop though, this is my fun little side project. The reviews will go on!

So we get an in depth explanation of the Call (The Call? the call. Whatever). Like I mention, it's a power that is deceptively simple, and is more complex the more I think about it. I don't think it lives up to the Dimensional Scream if I'm honest, but that was such a neat concept that I'm not sure much can. You have the advantage of going for more into depth with Char's power, though, so it will be fun to explore.

I like how you explained the Call, as a reconstruction. I don't know if I necessarily agree with your definition of a Mary Sue though. For me, a Mary Sue/Black Hole Sue is a result of simplifying a complex issue. Harry Potter, for example, suffers abuse at the hands of his Aunt and Uncle, but much of it is glossed over. Which is one of the reasons why I consider Harry a Gary Stu. Not that I don't love Harry Potter, I think people tend to grossly exaggerate the importance of Mary Sues in stories. In the end, it all comes down to the prowess of the writer, and whether their story focuses on character, plot, etc.

But anyway, back to the story. The other thing in this chapter that intrigued me was them going through walls. I thought it was awesome how you tied Char's silly dream into their escape, as well introduced the idea of Mobile Scarves. Wouldn't they've been hungry when they left the storage area, though? Anyway, that kind of answers one of my questions revolving around getting INTO the storage, if Morrik ever decided to bounce. It'd be cool to learn how such a scarf came into existence. Do ghost pokemon make them?

Char admit to Scythe that he's human. I really love this decision, because it's entirely character driven, and Scythe's response is so enigmatic and a great call back to the game. We also learn that Eva has decided to split. Why? At the moment, she very much has the appearance of a traitor... dum dum dummmm.

You talk about how the previous chapter is the game changer, but for me, it's this one. It clarifies the most important piece of the puzzle and sets us in the direction the plot intends to take.
stormpix chapter 66 . 2/1
OH. MY. GOSH. BEST STORY EVER.

So far I have only read one other story on this website that is as complex and as well written as this one. That one, though, is not as good as this one, though. This is an amazing story with one of the most creative, most unpredictable, deepest, most detailed backstory and plot I have ever read. Seriously, I mean it. I also love how you incorporated aspects of existing Pokemon games (Explorers of Time/Sky/Darkness) into this story; it makes it so much more meaningful to me.
I haven't finished reading yet, but I think I can safely say this is one of the best stories I have ever read. Thank you so much for writing it.
SCI-FIWIZARDMAN chapter 85 . 1/21
Aaaaaannd almost three weeks after I began reading this, 85 chapters down, and I'm caught up. Well... 64 chapters, plus all the bonus stuff and multiple-parts.

After finishing my play of Super Mystery Dungeon, I decided I was in the mood for some PMD fanfics. Of the good variety. Unfortunately, finding such fics on the site via manually searching is exceptionally difficult. So I resorted to my preferred means of looking up renowned fanfics of popularity, TV Tropes. And thus, I found this... frankly, amazing fic. Apparently it's undergone a revision or two..? I wouldn't know anything about that, I just got here recently. But I will say that what I've read is hands down some of the best stuff I've seen here in the Pokemon section. The pacing is overall excellent (even if it feels a but slow at times, it makes sense, as there can't be heart-pounding excitement in EVERY chapter), the way the characters are written is both believable and enthralling, and the overall plot is... well, original for this setting at least. Most stories I read with the whole Empire-enemy theme have tended to me 'meh' at best, especially when it comes to people poorly handling the offstage-villainy aspects, but here it's done surprisingly well. Perhaps it's the fact that almost the ENTIRE empire in this case - has remained in the background until recently in the story, having the characters dealing with internal conflicts first, whereas other stories I've read have tried to cram everything in right from the get-go.

There have been times when I've legitimately had my heart strings pulled while reading this story, and other times when I've actually found myself feeling angry or happy with events going on. Got to the point on Day 2 of reading where I started reading at 6 pm after work and didn't look at my clock until many hours later, at which point I realized it was 2:30 in the morning. Missed dinner. That... that means I was having fun while reading.

I'll skip the process of bringing up individual points of the story and reviewing them all, making this review longer than it already is, and instead jump to this latest chapter. Chapter 64. I have to say, I'm in heavy anticipation of who will get recruited into Team Ember. Tallie... not sure how I feel about her. Initiative is great and all, but not really when it means barging into a team's HQ a full day and a half before interviews are being held to try and weasel in ahead of time. And then just... her personality. It seems Ember needs mons it can trust and rely on, not impatient hotheads with an inflated sense of self-importance. Makes me wonder exactly how the hell things function down in Black Division. Still, could be useful... so long as someone beats into her head that she's not the center of the universe. That would be Char. Black-Hole Sue FTW.

On a side, I find myself REALLY hoping Zachel gets into the team. I really like her for some reason. Then again, I really like Zangoose in general. But Zachel just seems so cool and secretly badass. Also, I'd like to see here there if ONLY for the fact that it'll mean more frequent confrontations with X's Seviper. I'm seriously glad you acknowledged the rivalry between the two species, and both times they've met so far I think I did an internal fanboy squeal. So, crossing my fingers.

Excellent story you have here, sir. I look forward to future updates.
ArbitraryRenaissance chapter 21 . 1/19
''' Nobody's going to stop us from getting these kids safely to the city! '''

(Chapter name: Grave Responsibility) Now, class, does anybody know what FORESHADOWING is?

''' Char and Saura lead them down the road in a single-file line, and Scythe brought up the rear '''

*led.

''' After another hour's worth of walking, the inevitable happened: the children started to realize they were bored. '''

Completely justified. Even I would probably have a difficult time not getting bored. Someone needs to strike up a long conversation topic, and fast. A few absentminded kids'll do the trick.

''' "This is nature! Everything is green!" Beary proclaimed. "That's boring! Let's play battle!" '''

This is why we've developed corollaries to I Spy. You're allowed to use different descriptors as well. "I spy something round," for instance.

''' Sitting and staring at everyone was a small, pink Nidoran with its ears perked high. It didn't look happy. '''

Unhappy animals generally have their ears tucked behind them, so that if they engage in a fight, they're less vulnerable targets. Because a Nidoran has such large ears, I don't know why this wouldn't be the case as well...

''' This is a Mystery Dungeon. '''

Decapitalize.

''' The Sitrus Orchard looked anything like an orchard. '''

Based on the follow-up, I'd say that Sitrus Orchard looked NOTHING like an orchard.

''' But when the Mystery Dungeons started cropping up, one of them consumed the entire orchard '''

Decap.

''' But because of the spatial distortion, you never know where they are, and just searching for them is pretty dangerous. '''

Damn Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle for Temporal Anomalies.

''' "Sitrus berries are one of the best medicines known to all Pokémon!" Saura explained. "Eating just one feels invigorating, and it takes all your pain away. They speed up your body's own regeneration if you're injured, and they can even keep you alive if you're on the verge of dying." '''

You're not fooling me, ScytheRider. You can't have the best of both worlds here. Either there's a steep demand for Sitrus berries or Sitrus berries are incredibly rare on account of their difficulty to gather. If there's a steep demand AND a decrease in supply, Sitrus berries won't necessarily get more scarce (although they might); they'll just get ludicrously more expensive. I'll PM you a graph on DevaintArt further explaining my point.

''' "Yeah," Saura said. "And they even say that if you eat Sitrus berries when you're perfectly healthy, you'll add years to the end of your life." '''

Because game mechanics.

''' "If we don't pace ourselves, we'll run out of food. You can waste food if you eat too fast, you know. Eating a lot of food really fast doesn't always mean it'll take you longer to get hungry." '''

Because game mechanics.

******

Well, I've read another 10 chapters, so it's time to provide another collection of my thoughts thus far.

All this time that I've spent on my second bout of reading this story (i.e. chapters 10-19), I've noticed quite the shift in my interpretation on what Silver Resistance means as a whole, and the role each character plays. After reading up to this point, Silver Resistance has become a completely different story, and I'm fascinated by it thus far.

Although you never commented on this, I've been thinking to myself during these past 10 chapters that there's no way my responses have fallen into the basked of expected reactions (and for the record, all of the above comments to specific quotes have been raw reactions. I wrote down those snippets of commentary immediately after reading the line I quoted). There's no way my comments-namely the more thoughtful ones-are the comments that you, the author, have come to anticipate from your audience. Looking at the layout of this story thus far and the constructs and developments that I've seen, I feel like I'm going against the grain at so many turns. And I guess that's why I make the comments that I do. Don't get me wrong-I'm not playing the role of Devil's Advocate and making points simply because they may be unpopular or counter-intuitive; all of my responses have been natural, reactionary, and from the heart. Rather, I point out these things when I feel that my opinion diverges from the crowd because I think it will provide you with good insight on the potential outliers of your audiences. Whether or not my insight is good in the first place, though, is not my judgment call; it's yours. And naturally, you can choose to disregard it.

With that being said, I've got another pretentious opinion that I've come to obtain over the course of these past few chapters-and I KNOW that this one's going to be against the grain.

I don't like Scythe anymore.

At one point, he had a lot of charm. Last time I gave you a large review on chapter 10, I praised him for being "such a beast." Well, yeah: he is. He's quite powerful, and he's good at instilling awe and inspiration to his peers. Char has every reason to continue looking up to him, seeing him as a wise teacher and valiant guardian. But now that we've seen who he is as a character, he's no longer the fantastic and lovable Grovyle-esque knight that I once saw him as.

To help explain why I've had a change in heart, I'd like to remind you why I love Daemon so much. He has precisely the type of attitude that I strive to attain myself-save for the aggression. He's aware and makes it very clear that good tactical decisions come from careful planning and calculations. He believes and applies the notion that true success is the product of hard work and effort-not from luck or intuition. He celebrates successes that were earned and bemoans successes that were fortunate. He's the type of Pokémon that would take the word "talent" as an insult-the last Pokémon who would say "thank you" to someone who praised him for an ability over which he had no control. He's a stoic individual who rewards effort just as much as he eschews natural talent. It is a beautiful and productive mindset, and Daemon remains my absolute favorite character in this story because of it.

Scythe, meanwhile...oh, boy. He's something else. Daemon commented on the difference between them using words that I personally cannot top: "You must understand something about Scythe and I. We do not tend to get along. He likes to rely on his instincts, whereas I… try to use common sense wherever possible. He’s always had a gift for that sort of thing. You might have noticed how he loves to try and finish your sentences when he knows just what you’re going to say."

I said before that I couldn't wait to see Scythe's flaws. But in the end, it was Scythe's greatest attributes that caused me to lose my respect for him. Scythe's a great fighter. His speed and strength is something that's unmatched in almost the entire Division. He's also very knowledgeable. He's researched the world around him and analyzed the tactics of his enemies and he's honed his skills in becoming a cunning planner and an expert analyst. But the characteristic that he's most praised for, and the one that probably tops everything else he's good at, is his gift of having fantastic natural instincts.

Natural instincts: an ability that's inherent to the Pokémon's frame of mind.

Natural instincts: a skill that can't be developed or improved-only utilized and specialized with more knowledge of the world.

Natural instincts: a trait that can bypass reasoning, logic, analysis, and calculation-and still produce favorable outcomes.

The epitome of everything Daemon advocates against.

The antithesis of my inherent philosophy to personal success and achievement.

The sole reason so many good things have happened and so many bad things have been avoided in this story.

Scythe is a big, fat middle finger to everything that I believe. I cannot sit idly by and tell you that I still like him. I'm sorry, I just can't. As a matter of fact, I think he's my LEAST favorite character now. I don't hate him, of course, but after witnessing the juxtaposition between him and Daemon, and after seeing his true nature and his great attributes, I've lost the respect for him that I don't think I ever should have had in the first place.

And as final note, Scythe's success doesn't change my opinion in the slightest. I predict that at some point, his instincts are going to fail him. And when that happens, he's going to be the one responsible for a lot of Pokémon's misery. It almost happened in this chapter. It almost happened several chapters ago. It happened before the story started, if what he's said about Daemon correcting his mistakes are true. He. Is. Wrong.

So, that's Scythe. What about Char?

Well, it's almost the same story, actually. He has The Call now. The Call is a power that's completely out of his control. You know how I feel about this already; it's nothing new. Here he is with an ability that he did nothing to obtain, that he doesn't deserve, and that's going to be responsible for winning the war. I don't hate Char for this. I'm not spiteful. Sometimes this happens in life, and it's alright. It's even necessary for things like this to happen. I actually don't hate Char at all. I'm rather fond of him. I want to see how the conflict between him and his peculiar power is going to play out. As of right now, he seems to be awestruck by it. I daresay he might even feel...lucky...to have such a gift attributed to him. Oh, who am I kidding? Of COURSE he feels lucky to have it. He said it himself-it's the source of everything good that's happened to him (a fact which I still find heartbreaking).

But even so, this is a bad way to respond, I think. Why? Because with great undeserved power comes great undeserved responsibility. Char's going to need to bear the weight of having The Call, and that's a really heavy weight. He's basking in the glories of this power, but soon e
ArbitraryRenaissance chapter 20 . 1/13
New environment. I feel very out of place. I wonder if there's a way to do blockquotes here. Probably not. Hmm...

''' "Hey, why not check the bounties first?" Char suggested. "Find a nice big one! Then we can think about taking the mission!" '''

Triple quotes, that'll work. Anyway, I've always had a very different thought process when it came to these tasks. I always aimed to do the ones that seemed most important first. You lost an item? Tough; I'll get it later. There's a kid who's stuck in a mystery dungeon right now, and he won't get out until I go save him.

''' After agreeing to take the mission with the mystery reward, the twosome poured over the map and did some research on the locations involved. This time, they were sure to make note of just what kind of wild Pokémon they'd be up against, instead of assuming based on the landscape. '''

Humph. I was never granted that opportunity in the game. I just had to assume that the dungeons were appropriately named. That is, unless if there was some mechanic that I missed.

''' "Ahh, good ol' Brock," Scythe chuckled, shaking his head. "It's a big day for the whole team, you know. Everyone's got to be up this time! Thanks to a certain Scizor, our hands are going to be full for the next few weeks. We've all got to start out strong..."

"So! Where'd you decide on today?" Scythe asked as the threesome walked down the hall. '''

It's a bit odd having two paragraphs of dialogue with the same speaker. We've discussed this before, but this is a different scenario, since there's a shift in time between them. This jump isn't readily noticeable with this structure, though, so I'd suggest opting for something else. Perhaps changing the order of things, or adding a filler in-between paragraph? How about replacing the second paragraph with something like this?: ''' Once Char and Saura recovered, the threesome its way out of the base. "So! Where'd you decide on today?" Scythe asked as they walked down the hall. '''

''' "We sure do," Char said proudly, hefting the bag over his shoulder. "Enough food for all of us, a pecha scarf, since there's a chance we could run into some poisonous Pokémon like Butterfree and Beedrill, a detect band, which should give us an edge against the agile Rattatas, five oran berries, and an escape orb if we accidentally wander into the small dungeon to the north." '''

This dialogue might be a bit on the complicated side, considering Char's just a kid. For the most part, it's fine, but there are a couple of reservations that I have, most notably with "agile Rattatas." It doesn't sound like something someone would casually say is all, especially from a child.

''' "So be it," Daemon grunted with a nod. "And Team Ember… I wish you success on your mission today." '''

Cleverly avoiding the term 'good luck.' That's m'boy! Oh, and, La Résistance.

''' "Team Remorse!" Daemon bellowed, almost at the top of his lungs. "Why do we rise?" '''

Good gods, Daemon's awesome.

''' Maybe Saura's right. We could use a motto. Maybe something to do with fire? '''

Ooh, ooh! I know! Call: "Team Pea-Ember is here to stand for what's right!" Response: "We'll never give up without a fight!" None of that self-centered "until the last ember fades" bullcrap that's probably a trademark of this story. You must keep to your nutty roots!

''' Maybe it was just his Pokémon emotions, but he was starting to feel that he'd spent his entire life in Ambera. '''

You have.

''' "Mister frog!" one Buneary said. "Why is there a big plant stuck to your back?" '''

There's a picture of a 'realistic' Bulbasaur frog that I'm staring at right now, and I can't stop laughing.

''' "Because," Scythe said wisely, "nobody suspects a tree." '''

Wow. So wise. Truly some words to live by.

Oh, man, the suspense. Will things get out of hand? Nobody knows...except those who already read this.
Zion of Arcadia chapter 15 . 1/10
Wow, the unveiling thing is so weird. I re-read your commentary and the explanation makes a certain amount of sense. At the same time, there's always been an aura of, well, mystery to a mystery dungeon. Being able to get rid of it means the dungeon loses some of its mystique.

Before I read your reasoning behind the unveiling, I couldn't help but wonder if it was something only available to the Master's servants. Even now that I realize it's a reference to Escape Orbs, I can't help but wonder (hehe) how these strange items were created, and how. I guess it's linked to my theory that the Master is tied to mystery dungeons somehow, but I can't quite articulate why.

Also, Scythe mentions that it takes decades for mystery dungeons to expand. I wonder how long the phenomenon has been around in this world? It's a little clue I think, along with Ursa's hint about the Master's age. Hmmm.

Onto my next point. I found it a little odd that Adiel knew who Saura was. How many pokemon does the Master recruit, anyway? I suppose it ties into the Adiel vs Saura conflict you discussed, but something about it strikes me as incongruous. Unless Adiel is tasked with hunting down runaways, I can't see why he would even be aware of Saura's status. Or how he can tell who Saura is just by looking at him, I mean, he's not a particularly distinctive bulbasaur. Eh, whatever, moving on.

The dream with Gate is very funny. At first I thought Octofur was referencing octillary, and making a joke about Gate's assumption that everyone knew the names of all pokemon. Then we got to Feezle or whatever and I was like, this is a dream, isn't it? Haha.

We end with the revelation that Char has the Call, after going on a little acid trip. I jest, I jest. The Call has always been a cool little feature to me. It seems a reference to the Dimensional Scream, only deceptively simple in comparison. When I first learned about the Call I was a little disappointed, as I thought it was lame. Now I like it a whole lot more.

As you can probably tell, I remember very little about this chapter, outside of Adiel's confrontation with Scythe, which is of course iconic. Is that the right word? I think so. He also provides that serious threat from the Master we've been waiting for (and despite my nitpicks, the way he calls out Saura is genuinely unnerving). Of course, he doesn't actually do anything, which diminishes his threat somewhat in my eyes, but it also proves Scythe is a truly formidable warrior, that he gave Adiel pause. Anyway, it's a progression that was very much needed.
Alpha Dragonis chapter 85 . 1/9
I love this story, and everything about it. My one question though, is what does "S1" mean in a Mystery Dungeon? I know that F3 means Floor 3 and B3F means Basement Floor 3 but S1 is puzzling me.
Zion of Arcadia chapter 14 . 1/8
Ah, what a relaxing chapter. One might even call it... pleasant. Haha, I'm so clever.

Anyway, I'm back. I hope you had a nice holiday! I know I greatly enjoyed mine. Moving onto the chapter, this makes for a fun starting point. I like how you describe it as a "fake-out chapter" in your commentary. I think that's a great description - a lot of fun, laid back, and just a bunch of pokemon out on an adventure. I feel like one of your strengths is balancing light hearted fun with more serious moments. In my opinion, anyway.

Personally I enjoy your battle scenes. They're not overly long and often connect to character moments, such as Char adjusting to his body. Otherwise it's to make a clever reference to a game mechanic, which is also cool. I did feel a little sick to my stomach reading the chikorita scene, if I'm honest. Burns in general are grotesque, and there was something about Taka saying it might not make that, well, struck me as both too casual and morbid. It's like a horror scene going on as a bright, friendly music plays in the background. But of course, this is the world they live in, and I understand that. It's more my human sensibilities taking over than anything. I mean, I feel like it's a missed opportunity to make a good point about the violent lives these pokemon live, but ultimately it doesn't matter.

Leo is a cutie. I think I mentioned it before, but I like that you fashion your own lyrics for songs. I've never been very good at that sort of thing, which doubles my appreciation for what you do. It's not easy, or at least, not for me, hehe.
thundaflare chapter 1 . 1/5
Love this story. Please continue the story and bring Saura back :)
Kurashi11 chapter 1 . 1/1
Original idea for begin your story, I like that.
Guest chapter 85 . 12/13/2015
This story has a really simple plot. Although breaking the conflict would sound almost impossible.
It also messes with my head a lot. Most things are convincing and they are simply twists. Chapters do get updated slowly. Still, its not a dead story. As long as the story still lives it won't be a bad story. Dead stories are annoying to deal with because writers just suddenly end it. The mysteries are also great for the readers and everything makes sense after explained.
Zion of Arcadia chapter 13 . 12/9/2015
Proof the Chunsoft reads Silver Resistance: The Map of Jirachi. It's actually kind of hilarious, I'd just finished reading all your commentaries, and then I got to the part in the new PMD game with Jirachi and was all like, wait, whaaaaat? Hehe, moving on.

This chapter is pretty slow. It's mostly build up for what's to come. I agree that it was probably a mistake to split this chapter - nothing of note really happens. You don't end it on a cliffhanger, though, so there's that, haha.

A little word building bit I really like is the introduction of Morrik's storage. It's just so clever, and a great way to protect Pokemon's precious items. Although part of me finds it a little disconcerting that, again, they're so reliant on Ghost types. And if something ever happened to Morrik, would they be able to find all the stored items? Are they all in one place, or would some be hidden where even other Ghost types couldn't find them? I'm probably overthinking it lol.

Again, the contrast between Team Ember and the training teams is interesting to witness. Saura and Char really don't seem to know a whole lot and rely heavily on Scythe to provide guidance. You've stated this is intentional but part of me still finds it vaguely unpalatable. Meh, no matter. Daemon's sick burn (see what I did there? :p) more than makes up for it.
Zion of Arcadia chapter 12 . 12/5/2015
If I ever came across a fic that used Lincoln Park lyrics, I'd be gone faster than Felicia. Hehe I jest. Maybe.

So, my ability when it comes to poems/songs/etc. is abysmal on a good day. I can appreciate some Shakespeare and the deep, emotional lyricism of top 40 music... wait. Yeah I am the worst at critiquing this kind of thing. My ability to be hyperbolic is top notch, however! That said, are those references to Dialga I can spot within the Creed? Temporal Tower, woo! That's around the time I took a very impressive hiatus from FFnet and thus this story. I can't wait to get to parts of the story I don't already know.

So yeah, not a lot to say. I tried singing this to Grand Canyon and got horribly lost. But that's probably because I suck. Oh, one other thing. The ending is weird and abrupt. It doesn't really feel like a proper end to the chapter. You probably would've been better off ending with the song. Zachel is an awesome name, however, as is the Pokemon Zangoose.
Zion of Arcadia chapter 11 . 12/5/2015
Ah. Yes, this chapter. I remember this chapter! You talk about how it's something of a template for later chapters and how fond you are of it in your commentaries. I agree, it's delightful. Daemon and Scythe's discussion is one focusing on something you've mentioned as important - Team Peanuts, I mean Ember, getting preferential treatment, and whether they're earned it. If I'm honest, I agree with Daemon, and it's nice to see Char echo the Houndoom's sentiments. Of course, if he didn't, that would make him very unsympathetic, haha. I have to keep reminding myself that Scythe is treating them this way because he knows Char is human, but it still bothers me to see someone like Ray putting in so much hard work while Saura angsts over their team name (sorry, I couldn't resist :p). It rankles my 'Murican sensibilities, but perhaps that's the point.

Next we visit Domo, and Char learns to control his fire. Let me start by saying this is an excellent way of tying character growth into what essentially is a training segment. It also helps Char clarify his motives, and make them truly his, rather than Saura's. Again, though, it comes back to the Master and how "evil" he is. Evil that Char still hasn't witnessed, unless you count Team X. Which, sorry, I don't. They suck. They just make the Master look incompetent. Gah, I swore I wouldn't keep hammering this point, so next, please.

And the famous re-naming scene! It's another one of those moments I can clearly recall. Was I in high school when I first read this story? I think so... takes me back. Of course, I remember the original version, so I'm a little bummed it's gone. But I understand why you changed it, and honestly, it's a lot better. Although Char's concerns about naming it after his element feels super on the nose. You don't need to go THAT far out of your way to showcase Char's thoughtfulness, haha.

And onto the next chapter, where we have... err... well, this should be interesting.
Lukario19 chapter 1 . 12/4/2015