Reviews for In His Shoes
Asj Johnson chapter 13 . 5/16/2012
(tries not to laugh too hard at Sokka's way of getting them water) That was great. "Guard! The state of these prisoners offends me!" Hmm... although it would've been even better if, instead of "provide them with water to bathe in" he said something like, "I demand that you bring in water and make them bathe!" ...just to get the point across...

(also thinks it's funny that Sokka said all the water tribe people look the same to him)

Aww, the earth king had to ask for permission to even use his own bathroom (at least, if he did with Aang's gang, it makes sense the Dai Li had made him ask).

Wait, what? Zuko can't be explaining away his banishment as a sight-seeing trip. Maybe Ozai looked around for the avatar some, but he definitely wouldn't have been required to find him. I hope he knows the difference.

Heh. The earth king acted like he thought Sokka thought he needed his help. He doesn't know what mean things Zuko's been thinking about him. _"

Heh. Zuko isn't paying attention to what "spark" means. Although she may just think he's been easily angered lately, but... Oh, and maybe, since it seems like she suddenly came to that conclusion, she might've heard him talking about "uncle" when Katara woke him up. I couldn't quite tell if Katara was suspicious or not, but I thought she could have been, herself.

...Toph just said he was a horrible liar, and Zuko seems to totally overlook that statement... I still think she knows. Maybe she overheard him lying about the uncle thing being a strange dream.

...I still think it's strange for Iroh to use that tea maker. For one, isn't home made tea better? I mean, it would be harder to make it taste right, making it all at once, right? I don't know. I heard that before about some type of food. (but I think Iroh - I keep wanting to call him "uncle" because everyone in this fic does it, it's so annoying - I think he would make sure it turns out good, though. Maybe test the tea maker out to see the best way or something) ...not that this has anything to do with anything...

Heh. Looks like Sokka's finally starting to get it. That Zuko's always had a soft spot for people. (except when fighting the avatar. I think he put his feelings deep down so he could do what he needed to. But he still wouldn't fight him at times he felt Aang needed a break. ...I'm not sure how much Zuko knew about himself, though.)

Hmm... I wonder what Sokka's doing now. I liked the last of the chapter, but I'm not really sure what to say about it. It must have been hard for him to turn them down and not go with them.
Asj Johnson chapter 12 . 5/16/2012
...the boy that had been his nephew? (is slightly confused and curious)

Aww, Iroh can't tell him he knows, can he? I liked that paragraph, by the way. I guess I like most that talk about how people feel when feeling strong emotions...

I like Zuko's little tirade, too. Looks like he did learn what he did in the series - many even sooner. ...I just have to picture him as himself there. And of course, he's more himself there, alone, than at any other time.

...how exactly did Zuko pass off that tea joke? He couldn't have mentioned his uncle, and Sokka tells jokes a lot differently...

Huh? What happened with the watertribe guys? Zuko should've helped them more than Sokka, so he couldn't be a reason for them to be captured or something, right?

Could Azula's pirates be the water tribe guys? If so, maybe - if Sokka doesn't get stupid and start saying "dad!" and all that stuff like when he first saw Katara - he might be able to set them free and travel with them and hook up with the others.

I think Zuko would think Azula would kill him in that situation, too. Or at least torture him for awhile, and then burn him to a crisp. Maybe keep his eyes for a souvenir or something. (...it doesn't sound as sick when you think of Azula being the one to do it) But... she does seem like an insecure teen at times. Like when at the beach, and when her friends turned on her. She doesn't know about friendship, thinking the only way to get people on her side is to make them afraid of her... That's why it hurt her so deeply when Mai and Tai Lee turned against her. If she knew about friendship, she would think of it differently... If they were her friends (which I think they were, even with her forcing them), she would know friendship doesn't just suddenly stop.

Aww, Zuko's so mean about the earth king. He's a nice person... He's just... (sigh) well, he might be able to look after people if he puts his mind to it?

Don't say anything stupid at the beginning of the next chapter Sokka! Think about it first! Remember you're Zuko, not Sokka, and don't make Zuko look like he's gone crazy by calling him dad!
Asj Johnson chapter 11 . 5/16/2012
Hmm... before I start reading, I just had the thought that Sokka's more resourceful than Zuko, so maybe he'll be able to twist something around to have both Iroh and Aang. Zuko would think he'd have to pick one or the other, but Sokka's different.

(sigh) Sokka's plan might've been a good one, but knowing what happened in the series, it's a little disappointing (as a plan).

I didn't see how the crossroad episode could work out with these two like that, but it was pretty good. Seemed like a powerful chapter. ...I don't see how it could work out with Sokka at the palace, though. He wouldn't stay as long as Zuko, would he? Things would be too different for Sokka... There's Iroh, and Mai, and Azula, and the heritage thing...
Asj Johnson chapter 10 . 5/16/2012
Okay, Sokka didn't mess up that scene too much.

Hmm... they sure were angry when they saw each other. I was a little surprised by that... I guess it's just the circumstances, though, and it's probably really weird to see yourself like that.

I wondered how that part with Azula would work out... Thing is, it could've happened something like that with Zuko. ...or maybe not. He seemed pretty ready to go with Aang, but Azula dangled his goal of three years over his head. It was probably enough for Zuko, while Sokka wouldn't care about that. (and what happened later in the series kind'a shows Zuko was still trying to figure things out - but it's still an interesting thought that Azula could've done that to Zuko)
Asj Johnson chapter 9 . 5/16/2012
Heh. Zuko has something in common with all the avatar's gang, doesn't he? I was thinking recently that both Aang and Zuko can't go home. If Aang knew some way of going back, even a faint chance, he'd probably try it. At least at first. After the first few episodes, if given the chance, he'd probably decide not to because of avatar stuff, and because of Katara and the others. And there's Katara's and his moms, and now there's Toph.

Iroh makes it sound like he'd wet the bed. It's not the same thing! ...bending's... it's a reflex. ...well, I guess peeing kind of is, too... some animals do it to scare away preditors or something... but still, fire is much more cool.

Ah. Sokka thought the same thing. ...and that kind of gives a new meaning to wetting the bed, since he's from the watertribe. I wonder if Katara...

I still feel bad that Sokka's tricking Iroh... He's being honest, but they're talking about two different things.

...I wonder how this will go. In the series, Azula seemed surprised that Zuko and his uncle were in Ba Sing Se, and she seemed to know they weren't trying anything, so she sent a fake invitation. But it's different here...

Heh. I wondered how Zuko would handle that joke of Hakoda's. Sokka thought it was hilarious. But it seems like no one thinks anything of Zuko for not thinking so.

...the Zuko and Katara scene is going to be so messed up...
Asj Johnson chapter 8 . 5/16/2012
Aw, they were on different floors.

Hmm... odd hillucination. At first I thought they might really be there, but then they started saying his name.

Oh. That was funny. _" Aang starts thinking about Zuko, and I start wondering if Sokka's coming his way, but it turns out to be Katara.

Aww, Zuko doesn't know about the promotion. Kind'a strange in a way, seeing as he was there in the show, but not here...

...looks like Zuko's not going to find them. He probably won't even ask any neighbors or the tea shop guy.
Asj Johnson chapter 7 . 5/16/2012
So-kka! Don't assume everything's always Zuko's fault! ...Zuko would probably think the same way, though.

(sigh) and he's after a date again.

Wait, does that scroll mean they know Iroh is Mushi? Iroh equals Tea Server? ...that's... odd...

Oh no... Now Zuko's going to end up taking Sokka's time with his dad away...

Oh no... Sokka didn't use his weird Sokka, "that's hillarious", laugh did he?

Yep... Sokka's dumb drunk act got back to him. Stupid Sokka. Now he's gotten Zuko in trouble.

Poor Jin. She shouldn't have found out that Zuko was a firebender.

Looks like Sokka got to tell someone. But, if she ever sees either of them again, she might think he lied again...

Hmm... their both in cells, and Zuko doesn't think the avatar's friends will find them...

Ack. Zuko's gotten caught. And it seems too late for Sokka to save him.
Asj Johnson chapter 6 . 5/15/2012
It doesn't make sense for Sokka to go through the sickness thing Zuko did... :/

Hmm... I guess it makes sense for Sokka to ask about Zuko's past, but it kind of gives the wrong signal to Iroh... So frustrating. If they- well, I mentioned it several times before. Hopefully Zuko will still learn the same lessons...

I doubt Sokka has to shave every single day... (don't worry, Zuko, hairless men are more handsome. ...that sounded weird)

I think Zuko was more careful about not using firebending in Ba Sing Se than Iroh was... But, it would still be upsetting that he can't light a simple fire, while not being under suspicion, without doing it with something strange like rocks.

Wait, what? What's with Katara's narrowed eyes and set jaw? It can't be that suspicious that her brother totally fails at doing something right, can it?

(sigh) what in the world is Sokka up to? What's all this about reshaping a teapot?

(sigh) Stupid Sokka and his weird contraptions and grins.

So... why hasn't Zuko ever messed up and called Aang "Avatar"? Because that would be too big a giveaway for the others? It seems like he'd been avoiding calling him any name most of the time, though, which I do quite often (I hate it when I slip up and call someone by the wrong name).

Hmm... I kind of like Zuko's white lotus thing, but I wonder how he could ever explain it...

Yeah, I like the white lotus stuff. Interesting... and perhaps they can save the city this time. (or... that might mess things up later on...)
Asj Johnson chapter 5 . 5/15/2012
Oh? Zuko being an over-protective brother and accusing Jet of attacking Katara? Even with the "thinking strategically, attacking Katara would be a good way of getting to Aang" thought, I think he's getting a little too used to being Sokka - and making an excuse for it.

Heh. Copycat Blue Spirits. I wonder why he didn't think of Sokka... Just doesn't think he's a good enough person to cause them trouble? (and what about when Zuko gets rid of the mask? Sokka can't do that for him!)

Aww, Zuko was kind of harsh to Jet. (checks episode to see if something like that happened)

Uh-oh... I hope Sokka's brilliant but will hurt plan isn't something stupid...

Kind'a stupid doing that plan with Zuko's face. He might get himself and his uncle in big trouble (I mean Zuko's uncle). And, did he really re-break his arm, or was it something else that snapped like I'd think.

Ah, good. I thought maybe Sokka's "it's gonna hurt" thought might mean otherwise.

Oh good, I thought Sokka really messed up there. (but the guy still knows his face, stupid Sokka)

hmm... this is a longer fic than I can finish reading tonight... (and, glancing at the chapter titles... Stupid Sokka and Zuko fight! The fic lasts past all that stuff that was important for Zuko! What's going to happen when - if - they switch back? Zuko would be all, "huh? I never did any of that")
Asj Johnson chapter 4 . 5/15/2012
Sad that Zuko thinks his uncle's all alone. They should see each other at some point (away from friends and family, of course) and talk. Make some promises to each other, like, "watch after uncle" and "make sure my sister's okay".

What? Sokka, strong? Sokka? ...I guess I don't take goofy characters very seriously... Okay, maybe he might be just a little strong, for a non-bending watertribe peasant.

Ooh... at first I thought she blushed because of something the sword said, but when Zuko started thinking about something obviously not correct, I started thinking it was from their hands touching. (also, I guess Sokka's forgetting stuff rubbed off on him, too, seeing as he was surprised he forgot she was blind - but I can't blame Sokka for forgetting, since she's not really blind at all, unless she's not touching the ground, or looking at ink)

Oh. I guess she never learned how to read. Obviously... Silly me for thinking otherwise. (even being high class and all, her parents probably wouldn't have taught her letters, figuring she's too blind and helpless...)

Oh wait, the first word's never, and Zuko feels worried. Is it from that spirit guy, reminding him he can't tell anyone?

Oooh. THat never. Hmm... well, I hope he doesn't think it means, "never stop hunting the avatar"

Oh no... Poor Zuko's image. Why is Sokka trying to get Zuko to flirt with girls, anyhow? And what about Yue?

Aww... I know Zuko dislikes his scar, but I didn't really think of other people thinking that way about it. :/ In real life, it probably would look kind of bad, though. It looks so... I don't know, smooth on TV, more like a red streak than a scar. And the details you can see don't look all that bad. (heh, a few days ago, I realized something, and I must've forgotten it again. Years ago, when walking to school one morning, I was somehow knocked out, and when I came to consciousness, I found my eyes closed, and felt the left side of my face slidding against the sidewalk. I cried when I got up, but not from pain. It felt terrible when I touched it, I couldn't even tell if there was gravel in it or lumps of flesh or what. I thought I would end up with a terrible scar covering the whole left side of my face. It looked terrible for weeks, and I felt awful when I had to return to school two weeks (if I remember right) after it happened, thinking everyone would look at me, at it. ...but it ended up healing where it looks like nothing ever happened. I never thought about it before a few days ago, but Zuko probably went through that type of thing. Except, he never tried to hide his face, like he was defiantly proud or something)

I've been feeling this could end up this way, but... now, with Sokka seeing the flyer and everything, I hope they can change back and before the setting Appa free part. That was a big thing for Zuko, and I wouldn't want him to miss it... or the thing with Katara (that didn't come out right...).

Agh! No! Bad Sokka! Okay, so maybe Zuko is getting his little realization thing with Aang and them, but still. It's special! T_T If Sokka does all those things, then it takes away from it...

Heh. Sokka sure is acting like Zuko. I wonder if he'll realize it after they change back (assuming they do).
Asj Johnson chapter 3 . 5/15/2012
Hmm... perhaps Sokka's thoughts about what the Blue Spirit had been doing was wrong. This sounds more like what Zuko would be doing with the mask. Also, I hope Sokka doesn't get himself caught. These guys are dangerous. And it would ruin the whole "getting to know Zuko" thing if he gets brainwashed.

When did Sokka get so good at not showing emotions? Is that another one of those Zuko-remnant things?

Heh. Sokka's acting quite a bit like Zuko, telling Iroh about some guy blowing up a building. And the clothes. Iroh probably won't notice anything strange. _"

Huh? Aang thinks there's something up with 'Sokka'? I thought he was sounding just like him. :/ ...well, it's a little hard to picture intonations and facial expressions, but...

Ah. He's been quiet since then. But from what they've been discussing, it sounds like even that can be normal for Sokka.

Heh. Playing around with his boomerang. Those two are having such an easy time.

Huh? What's with the sword? Where's it from? What's it say? Is it important to the plot?

I find it funny that Sokka sounds sooo much like Zuko when arguing with Iroh. That's definitely Zuko's voice and expressions there.
Asj Johnson chapter 2 . 5/15/2012
Aww, poor Zuko. I like thoughts like in the first scene. (would they actually see colors differently? :/ Well, I know my dad can't seem to tell the difference between that blue color the sky gets before a storm, and black - it doesn't look a thing like black - but I thought he was just being weird. _" )

Huh? He's forgetting that talk? That might be a bad sign...

Hmm... Sokka might have a much easier time. I didn't think about Iroh and his spirit stuff. Although, Zuko might have an easier time with Aang, too. But there is that thing... I wonder if they would be upset if either of those two said anything about it out loud, or if they're exempt.

All the changes Zuko's been thinking about bothers me for some reason. Probably because I like to think that everyone's the same, while he's talking about seeing differently, feeling differently, etc. Although, to understand Sokka, I guess he should know what he goes through... (also, I hope he realizes pretty soon that the Fire Nation isn't going to make a watertribe peasent a substitute crown prince - even if he does have the avatar)

Oh yeah, like Sokka would have a serious reason for making Zuko have a goofy grin. But he probably didn't find it as funny as he would have.

(feels like face-palming) Stupid Zuko and his thoughts of redemption. He doesn't even really want to hurt the avatar or anything, it's just the whole, "you have to catch him or forever be a big disappointment" thing. He should rethink his mom's words about not forgetting who he is. Maybe that would help him see that his father isn't the embodiment of "right".

Hmm... I'm slightly confused. (firstly, it's really hard to picture Zuko talking in Sokka's voice. Either it sounds like Zuko's voice, or it sounds way too happy) I think Sokka likes stealing money... and I'm not sure why surprised Toph so much. Sokka's an older brother, so I'd think he'd say to be careful a lot...

Good that Toph misinterpreted his "how did you know" question. Also, I didn't get the sister thing until Zuko's thought about it. I was thinking so much about Katara wanting to kill Zuko, I totally missed the "sister" part. _" I like that line, though. Poor Zuko, he finally gets a real little sister...

Oh, how ironic that Sokka's going to continue the Blue Spirit thing without even knowing. ...this may end up bad. (although, he might recognize the mask from the wanted posters, but... I think he'd probably still use it...)

Pffh. "Hai guys! I'm not evil anymore!" Hopefully he won't be that stupid. (Toph might just think he likes her, instead of suspecting anything - oh, but her lie detector senses might be bad)
Asj Johnson chapter 1 . 5/15/2012
I find Sokka's thoughts of going to the lower rings to get away from royal wannabes funny.

Hmm... the Blue Spirit has been naughty in Ba Sing Se? That doesn't sound like Zuko...

Well, dying wasn't what I had expected. (I wonder why I'm replying for this fic, when I kind'a liked the Lose Yourself one more... But, I had to see what happened in this one when I saw the description looked like another losing yourself type of story)

Heh. Arguing in front of Yue and him. _" But they Are getting a better understanding of each other while doing it, so it's Kind Of a good thing...

Now they're both making excuses and saying it was the other's fault. I wonder if the two watching will realize how much they're acting a like...

Yep.

hmm... I think I'm as interested as I am in this fic because it's a little like an Aladdin fic I've been thinking of writing. That walk a mile quote was one of the things I incorporated in the story. (I don't recall seeing other switch fanfictions mention that saying) Also a little interesting that Sokka obviously just came up with that continuation to it, and that it was never heard before that. (or maybe I've just gotten into a reviewing mood again)

Wait... something about that guy's line of "it would grant them a second chance" gives me an uneasy feeling that this may not end well. Either that, or it's just because it reminded of a movie where a recently dead guy had to come back in someone else's body - permanently. ...that would be scary. A day or two, fine, but That...

...this isn't sounding good... I don't know if they can change back, even after they learn their lesson... (and the depressed feeling kind'a spoiled my fun. Hopefully the upcoming chapters will be funny enough to fix that - at least on Zuko's side, since I think that would be the most fun to see. And it's Sokka, the guy always in a good mood. That should make it even better.)
super ario chapter 18 . 5/14/2012
askjfhnwepogkrwelgmreg.

This is going into my favorites, absolutely. I've had this story bookmarked on my computer for a while now but I never got a chance to read it. I started it last night and had to force myself to go to bed. You're not supposed to stay up reading fanfictions at 3 in the morning on a school night...

Anyway, this is one of the best Avatar fics I've ever read, honestly. The whole Freaky Friday idea is not something I generally like reading in any fic in any fandom but...somehow, you've managed to make this almost canon. It's inspiring. Your characterizations were impeccable, and that's hard to do in something like this...and the overall writing was generally good as well. Please write more Avatar. I love you.
underlings chapter 18 . 5/14/2012
Wow. This story was amazing! You intertwined the boys' lives so flawlessly, and even managed to keep it all relatively in canon. Wonderful work.
863 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »