Reviews for In His Shoes
daveshan chapter 19 . 6/14/2012
Man, I am sorry it took me so long to review this. I was finishing my own take on Sozin's Comet.

This was a very nice way to wrap things up. I especially like the JinxZuko ending as it's my favorite pairing.

All and all, this was a good chapter. Glad to see it completed.
Loopy777 chapter 19 . 6/10/2012
"This was a triumph. I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS. It's hard to overstate my satisfaction."

Sorry for the passe quote, but it's truly what I thought as I finished my read-through. ;)

What can I say, really? Going through the whole thing, I think the character arcs were excellently handled, showing both Sokka and Zuko settling into each other's lives in beautifully illustrated ways. My only regret is that I would have liked to see Sokka do more with Zuko's Fire Nation life, get to know Azula, Ty Lee, and Mai the way he did Iroh, and the way Zuko did with the gAang, but you also gave me Maikka, so I hardly feel the need to complain. Perhaps I'll do Mai's "reunion" with Sokka as a one shot for a day of Maikka Week this year.

I think you chose a good spot to end things at, as Book 3 would have only retrod the same territory for the cast, and there was no need to continue things once the switch was reversed. This story stayed wonderfully on focus the whole time, but I never got tired of Zuko and Sokka or their predicament. It helps that there was a real plot with lots of things actually happening; for example, I was surprised, during my reread, to see that the "acclimation" time before the canon events started interrupting things was actually only the first few chapters. I remembered it being longer, but I didn't feel like it lacked anything when I reread that section. My own preferred reading keeps things moving without sacrificing character or resonance, so this played very well for me. Neither did the story go on too long, as events were always still logically following from each other. Perhaps it was a bit heavy handed to say that the Spirits were influencing the boys' behavior to get them to the ending, but nothing bad.

And I love that things began with Ba Sing Se, ended with both boys finally leaving Ba Sing Se, and the epilogue was their first return. The Ba Sing Se arc is widely considered the best of the cartoon, and it's really because that's the where the characters seem to be most tested. That testing ground worked just as well for the switched Sokka and Zuko, so once it was no longer a factor, their spiritual test was complete. Really, Ba Sing Se is almost defined by the various ways it tests every member of the cast in the cartoon, so kudos for really following through on that with the Spirits' test.

If I may indulge in pointless shipping for a second, I can't help but wonder if Zuko ever tried anything with Katara or Toph once he got back to his own body. He picked up on Toph's crush and teased Sokka about it, and had that Moment in the Zutara cave with Katara, and the possibilities tickled me. I mean, yeah, it's great that Jin's subplot got some resolution, and you found a good way to implement the oft-shafted ship of Jinko, but I don't have TIME to write fanfiction for a fanfiction, and that's what I have the urge to do. :P

So yeah, great stuff, and thanks so much for bringing this one to a proper ending. It's one of my early favorites when I joined this fandom, and I'm glad to still be here with you.
heir.of.rage chapter 1 . 6/10/2012
i

adore

this

fic

!

I love the characterization, and everything about this! i could not stop reading!

love!
Supersweetgirl119387 chapter 19 . 6/6/2012
Please, tell me your not really ending it, we still haven't seen how Katara, Hakoda, Toph and Iroh really felt when Sokka and Zuko explained what happened.

I really wanted to see maybe a flashback, Sokka and Zuko can explain to Jin what happended after they switched back.

I also though it would hae been sweet if Sokka (in his body) still called Iroh "uncle", and if Zuko(in his body) still called Katara "sis" and Hakoda "dad"

Plus, I would really like if you elaborated more on the SokkaMai thing, and we never really did see Suki.

Please, we need more, we need more, we need more! (Extremely cute kawaai girl puppy dog eyes) Pllleeeeaaassseee...?
tomorrow4eva chapter 18 . 6/3/2012
That was short. I'm glad they are going to go back to life... although... in what bodies? I enjoyed the chapter. :)
ANDKO chapter 19 . 6/2/2012
That was awwwwwwwwwww. 3333
Lady Viridis chapter 19 . 6/2/2012
Well, that meeting was about as drama-tastic as I'd been expecting. It was good.

I feel like the ending ended up a bit rushed? I'd have liked to see something a bit more robust, I guess, instead of just 'a year later...' And I don't know how I feel about Sokka/Mai. But then, I'm a big fan of Mai/Zuko.

Hadn't realized you were the 'Another Brother' author. I have to say, it's an interesting idea, but I never really bought the characterization in that one. I'm still not sure about it in this fic- it's solid, and it works for the story, but I'm not sure it quite fits with the characters we see in the show. But it was an enjoyable read with lots of awkward drama and that's mostly what I was hoping for. So, well done. :)
Lady Viridis chapter 13 . 6/2/2012
Zuko, you're clearly not THAT good a liar, if Toph is calling you 'Sparky.'

I like that Toph and Iroh both figure it out, but are smart enough not to say anything.

I do enjoy poor Sokka's torment as he's convinced he killed Aang. He really should have gone with them, though. There will be less drama all around if he can just team up with the Gaang and particularly Sokka. *le sigh*
Lady Viridis chapter 12 . 6/2/2012
Well... damn. This fic has gone a lot darker than I expected. I admit, when I read the synopsis I thought it was a little silly and I wasn't quite certain about the whole thing. (The first chapter didn't help.) But this fic has really blossomed and done some interesting things while sticking closely to the canon timeline, and I'm genuinely impressed by the character decisions you've made with both Zuko and Sokka. It's really quite well done and I'm left wondering how the hell this is going to work out (and just how awkward it will be when they finally get switched back).

The only thing I have to complain about is the eyesight thing. Put bluntly... well, it makes no sense at all. Whatsoever. If you're colorblind it's either red/green or blue/yellow or complete. You can't see particular color groups better, and seeing blues and greens better would not give you night vision, because color vision is barely active or not active at all in the dark. (If anything, I'd imagine the vision difference for Zuko would be that he's gotta be half-blind or something close.) So... yeah. I know it's not an important detail, but it bugs me. Mostly I'm glad it didn't come up outside the first chapter or two. /science rant.

Outside that, this has all been really well done and I both look forward to and cringe at the drama that will happen when they get switched back and Zuko attempts to explain "his" actions to the group.
BlueLucied chapter 19 . 6/2/2012
Great to see a wrapup to this, it was a really fun story to read. Hope this means we'll see more 'Another Brother' soonish!

PS. Think 'In His Shoes' is a much better title then the original.

Cheers!
Luna Calamity chapter 19 . 6/2/2012
Awwww I love when stories repeat the beginning in the end. I vote that's the best thing to do in a story (if it can be done!) :)

I also like how you cut it off. In full honesty, I forgot allll about Jin XD I'm horrible lol but these two really would make great besties _ I wish this happened in the show; IT COULD TOTALLY WORK! owo

Well, great fanfic! XD I want to hug it...
Guest chapter 19 . 6/1/2012
I love it! Thank you so much for finishing it!
underlings chapter 19 . 6/1/2012
This was great! The premise was really interestingpfyo, and it was nice to see the differences/similarities to canon in each boy's POV. I'm glad how the epilogue turned out, even if it was a bit short for my liking; I'm laughing at how hard it probably was to explain to the rest of the Gaang and Mai... and now to they have to try and explain it to Jin- overall, a very satisfying ending to a really nice fic!
ArrayePL chapter 19 . 6/1/2012
It's sad that this is the last part. Thanks for sharing.
FirePony16 chapter 19 . 6/1/2012
Awesome chapter and all in all wonderfully awesome story. I love this story and a bit sad to see it end. Thank you for sharing this beautiful story. :)
919 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »