Reviews for Partners in Defeat
Yulandia1 chapter 2 . 11/8/2010
omg that made me cry...

Jarlaxle dropped on his knees in front of Artemis to plead. "Why can't I have you?"

poor Jarlaxle. So much sadness and desperation. :(

SO well written, I forgot I was reading.
Lessiehanamoray chapter 6 . 9/18/2009
It's so sweet and tender. It's really nice to see some tender love between them in something more than a one shot. Jarlaxle's so cute throughout this. Oh, and good job making me want to slap Drizzt. That was well done.
jarltreri chapter 6 . 7/9/2008
The fluff threatened to become OOC at the love part due to the frequent emphasis of drow not having a word for 'love', but I guess Jarlaxles just really well read. Other than that, the rest of the chapter was impeccable as usual and Jarlaxle's dwelling on Zak provides good continuation. Good job!
jarltreri chapter 5 . 7/9/2008
Thanks for the much needed humour! 'mushroom pastries' indeed. I could almost see Jarlaxle's disapointment when Drizzt rejected his hug. And of course, who can resist this imagery:

'She collided with him at the rate of a boulder from a catapult squashing an unsuspecting orc'
Oroburos69 chapter 6 . 7/7/2008
As always, I'm pleased to see this continue (and venture boldly into the world of AU). Thank you for writing.
Nuitari Aquarius chapter 6 . 7/7/2008
I liked Jarlaxle's final outburst. I mean... it made sense. However, I can see through the lines your little bitter hatred for Drizzt... well at least the Drizzt portrayed by RAS in the last books. He IS annoying...

I felt hurt for Jarlaxle when Drizzt said Zaknafein had been a lonely man, without any kind of friends, except for his own son. Ouch. That wasn't kind at all... but poor innocent Drizzt did not know.

I'm can't wait to read the next!

Nuitari Aquarius
chair-chan chapter 6 . 7/7/2008
I opened my e-mail, and there, side by side, were your reply and the chapter update notification. I was extremely happy, and of course read your reply first. :)

Yes, many a time Jarlaxle's idiocy seems like a defense mechanism. Nobody can see who he truly is with that annoying, idiotic mask in place. I love it when he is framed as a genius who is regarded as the town fool, through his own machinations of course.

Well, the funny chapter out of nowhere was good, it broke up the action for a little lighthearted fun. But I admit, when I was first reading it, I did a double take. For a moment, I thought to myself "is this a crack-fic?" Haha, I wondered if my e-mail had redirected me to the wrong story. But I kept reading and in the end it was fine.

I really can't wait to get to the bottom of this "Drizzt was never told about Jarlaxle" thing. I want to know why!

At the end the scene with Artemis is sweet. :) It gets back to the angst a little bit. I loved it. :) Also, the sword/dagger idea is interesting.

Anyway...well, thank you for the extremely quick update and the long chapter. Please, keep it up, and update soon!
chair-chan chapter 5 . 7/6/2008
Yay, another chapter. I love how Jarlaxle seems so inane while he is obviously shaping his image purposefully. Haha the scene with Gromph is hilarious.

" "Don't act like you have anything better to do," Jarlaxle called after him, radiating hurt innocence. "It's rude. I know you mostly sit in that tower and doze, anyway." "

haha that's great. And the scene with Catti-brie is funny too. Lol I loved this chapter, and I look forward to seeing what will happen in the next chapters. Update soon, please! And great chapter!
hakatri chapter 5 . 7/5/2008
Oh my that's... not canon. For some reason after everything that came before, I didn't expect this, but it's interesting.
jarltreri chapter 4 . 6/17/2008
Good job on keeping the characters intact while simultaneously making them reveal so much to each other. "He actually snapped his fingers, as if recollecting something important... gave a little start, and smoothed down the covers as if to keep the assassin from noticing" was particularly endearing. I noticed the paragraphs were shorter as compared to the first 2 chapters and I don't know if this was intentional but it really did help with the flow in transitioning btw Jarlaxle and Artemis' POVs. Nice thing though: the pacing at times seemed to drag just the slightest bit due to staying in one room the entire time/lack of plot advancement/emotions running too high.
chair-chan chapter 4 . 6/16/2008
I love this story, how it shows both characters going out of their comfort zones for eachother. I was extremely excited when I opened my e-mail and saw not one, but TWO alerst for this story! At the first chance I got, I read them. Indeed, the first chance I got was 11 o'clock that night. You get the dubious pleasure of knowing that your story has made me tired all day today.

You can take that as a compliment.

Anyway, the two chapters didn't disappoint. They may have been a little short in comparison with the other two chapters, but they were still a respectable length. The interactions were still as true to the canon characters as possible, and I just loved their converstions.

In short, I love your story, I love your style, and please update soon. :)
Nuitari Aquarius chapter 4 . 6/16/2008
Betrayal, betrayal... that's always the same with him.

And I just love Jarlaxle!

Yes, I know, not an interesting review, but I needed to say that :p!

Nuitari Aquarius
jarltreri chapter 2 . 6/11/2008
Excellent choice of setting and clever notion of picking a time within canon where the two were at a low point. Sometimes the transitions were a little disorienting/not as fluid as usual, but that is to be expected of a co-written piece. Overall, a good idea with nice execution as usual.
Adia chapter 2 . 6/8/2008
This is a really interesting character study of both characters. Initially I found it a little jarring to see such a difference in Jarlaxle's character, seeing him so...broken, from the swaggering leader that we are usually presented with in the books. But as the story went on it actually made a lot of sense, considering both characters are the same - as broken, but dealing with it in different ways. So, it is quite fascinating.

I also liked (in this story and the previous one), the cultural differences that pop up in drow/human relations. I was talking to Linndechir about them in the Zak/Artemis story, and find the differences amusing and heart-wrenching here given Jarlaxle's *need* for them and Artemis being kinda puzzled. Poor little broken men!
Sushi-san85 chapter 1 . 6/7/2008
I admit... this was the kick in the arse that I needed for my own fic. This story, which you have co-authored, is breathtakingly amazing. Every muscle in my body were tensed to their very limits when I read:

Jarlaxle didn't hear anything. His hope died. He was finally convinced by Artemis' words. There hadn't been anything that other night. There wasn't anything at all. That last death put his heart completely to rest in the gray, numb zone it had always been living in.

I swear, that paragraph nearly gave me a heart attack. When I read chapter 2, however, I was relieved beyond belief. Those two should be together, they deserve to be together. If it is as friends, lovers, brothers, whatever. I don't care, just put it on paper and publish it. xD

A shame that Jarlaxle and Artemis are Salvatore's creations. It should be the two of you, or Ariel D, or all three of you, writing them, in my opinion. Or maybe Elaine Cunningham. I'd definitely enjoy the books better, then.:)

Bright Blessings.;