Reviews for Harry's First Detention
please continue
jedusorhusband chapter 1 . 2/21/2023
I can't believe people are ok with this story and call it "wonderful" or "cute". The first reaction of Snape realizing that he hit Harry is being afraid of the consequences for himself. He isn't worried that the child is hurt and that's absolutely not ok. There's is NO excuse for his behavior, and the fact that everyone seem to be okay with him hitting a child, sending him flying into a wall and just saying "sorry i should not have done this" is so disappointing. This could be so hurtful for younger readers to read this kind of abuse being brushed away so easily. I had high hopes for this because everyone has been praying the sequel, but I will not read it. Nobody deserves the treatment Harry suffered from Snape here. He wasn't a great character in the book but he never hit a child. Snape should have been fired and never been allowed to teach ever again.
guest chapter 1 . 2/4/2023
Glad that Snape's misunderstanding of HP's behavior was cleared up before anything worse happened. I hope he can bring himself partly to explain the cause to HP at the start of the sequel.

I was puzzled, though, by your having McG be more understanding of Snape's triggered state than Poppy, who knew - and cared - more by far about Snape's own damage than anyone else at Hogwarts. Was puzzled even more by Dumbles's threat: Snape and Dumbles both knew that the latter would never kill his slave as long as he could squeeze more use out of him.

Very well written. Will go on.
Darknessdawns chapter 1 . 1/15/2023
There is just something so very sad yet hopeful about this piece. Snape was excellently written even though I do have issues with seeing him strike a student. However the way the scene was written was very believable. He was so far in his own head and then reacted before he even realized what he was doing. It's no wonder, he was reading everything about Harry wrong. At least he finally saw Harry as he is in this piece, a frightened abused and neglected little boy. I'm definitely looking forward to reading the sequel and seeing how Snape makes amends and where things go.
ILoveHarryJamesPotter chapter 1 . 11/20/2022
This was really good! I read this a while ago and decided to revisit it. I’m looking forward to rereading the sequel. Snape is very well characterized. I enjoyed your writing style and the descriptions of Harry from Snape’s POV such as “the little horror” and “the fiend”. My only complaint is that Snape got off too easily for his cruel behavior towards Harry!
mc1221318 chapter 1 . 11/12/2022
Wonderful.
AdriLAAAxo chapter 1 . 8/13/2022
He should not have been given a kiss by Minerva on the cheek. Just because Snape had said he’d take a Crucio if he could undo his actions does not relieve him whatsoever of punishment. he should be fired! Under probation! How could you permit someone who STRUCK and HUMILIATED a defenseless CHILD to work with other children?! He needs to see a healer at the very least! Anger management! The lack of such punishment may as well be condoning Snape laying his hand on Harry. Have you no heart?
AdriLAAAxo chapter 1 . 8/13/2022
there is absolutely ZERO excuse for hitting a child in that way. Absolutely none. It is a gross misconduct that no apologies or feelings of remorse could hope to excuse. Bottom line: Snape let his prejudice and hatred blind him to reason and STRUCK a defenseless CHILD and humiliated him! Shame on you. 1/10
Guest chapter 1 . 3/6/2022
Snape should be in prison for hitting a child like that. No excuse excuses it, and letting him get away with doing that to a child is beyond sick. Feeling bad that he did it just doesn't cut it.
Lord Harry Potter-Black chapter 1 . 1/24/2022
1/10. Snape should have been fired not given a kiss on the cheek. Protector my ass, abuser more like, who should be out of a job and in prison.
csheila chapter 1 . 1/22/2022
Okay once I quit trying to reach through the screen to strangle Snape,I loved it.

Did you write before learning Snape knew Petunia? Regardless, it’s a great story. But I am happy you continued it.
Maggie chapter 1 . 10/17/2021
Well that was one big pile of misunderstandings! Cute little story.

One thing though - Potter preferred to fight one on one? Canon Snape actually says "Your father would never attack me unless it was four on one".
Snape has enough reason to see Harry as his own person now, there's really zero need to whitewash James. If anything, not doing that makes Snape's prejudices and therefore the myriad of misunderstandings in your story more believable.
Star Sage chapter 1 . 10/8/2021
Found this story via TV Tropes(Surprisingly Realistic Outcome), and I must say, dark as the subject is, it is a true masterwork of its craft, and I look forward to the continuance of this tale, but I must simply comment on the excellence on display here. No one in this part of the tale is stupid, everyone is acting in character with their foibles, headmaster is simply too busy, Minvera has the house of pranksters, and Snape never paid attention. The teaching has just begun, so no one's had time to see what Snape did in a one on one session, so them not noticing is forgivable. And the Headmaster's last lines? Chilling. Thank you sir, and I look forward to having another, while I read the sequel.
drarryseveritus chapter 1 . 9/23/2021