Reviews for Lost
Neele chapter 4 . 1/19
Oh my god, your end is sooo beautiful but sad too! Did he find Joe on the other end? Are they happy now?
ProudOfBrothers chapter 1 . 2/26/2013
Author's Note:
The Jonas Brothers are not famous yet in this fic. (:

"Kevin!" I hissed, hearing the sound of a car in the driveway, "He's home! Get up!"

My older brother groaned, but opened his eyes and rolled out of Joe's bed. "I hate this," he muttered, slipping his shoes on. "You know the drill, Nick."

I nodded, hopping off my bed and scampering into the kitchen as Kevin went to the front door. Quietly, so as not to wake up Mom and Dad, I quickly filled three glasses with cold water. I balanced them carefully and walked slowly up the stairs, spilling only a little bit in the process. I brought them back up to the bedroom Joe and I shared, placing them on my desk. Minutes later, Kevin came in, supporting a bedraggled Joe, who only could only stand upright with his arm clinging around Kevin's shoulders. And like almost every night, I could not help but to be disappointed in the person I had once been proud to call my brother.

It happened at least three or four times a week – Joe would always pretend he needed to go to work, though he knew as well as I that he had been fired from his job more than seven months ago. Instead, he would visit the local bar, have a "few" drinks, and have a friend bring him home at the wee hours of morning, usually around 2 AM, sometimes later. By this time, Mom, Dad, and Frankie had long gone to bed, leaving me and Kevin the responsibility of staying up with him until he recovered from his drunken state. In fact, we were the only ones who knew about Joe's habit. Mom and Dad thought he was still working at the late-night diner, and they thought it to be normal for him to get home late, always going to bed before he returned. So Kevin and I, being the luckiest devils alive, get no sleep several times a week because of Joe's stupidity.

"Drink," Kevin ordered, shoving Joe into the chair by my desk, pointing to the glasses of water.

"I don't wanna," Joe whined, "My head hurts."

"Of course it hurts," Kevin snapped, "You've been drinking all night."

"No I haven't!" Joe insisted, but the smell of beer and cigarettes that stained his breath and clothes was more than enough to tell us he was lying.

"Yes, you have," Kevin said firmly.

"Nuh-uh." He shook his head like a little kid refusing to do the dishes. "I just one teeny little beer, that's all, Kevy-wevy. That's all."

"Liar," Kevin snapped, hitting Joe on the head with his knuckle – not enough to hurt him, but enough to make him shut up.

Joe glowered at Kevin, but grabbed a glass. He swayed unsteadily in the chair and brought the water to his lips, but only succeeded in spilling the whole thing all over himself.

I bit my tongue to keep from screaming at him, and silently wiped up as much water as I could with one of Joe's old shirts that was lying on the ground.

"Snap out of it," Kevin demanded, giving Joe a good slap. Joe screwed his eyes shut and opened his mouth to scream, but Kevin acted quickly took this chance to pour water down his throat. Joe, opening his eyes, looked surprised, but swallowed and coughed a few times.

As Kevin tried to get Joe to drink the remaining glass, I went to the closet to find a clean pair of pajamas for Joe. When I returned, Joe had drank the last glass of water, and was currently in the bathroom, retching the foul contents of his stomach into the toilet, Kevin sitting patiently by his side and patting his back. "Better out than in," I heard him say.

It was all I could do to stop myself from running over and punching Joe in the face. I hated him. He was supposed to be there for me. He was my older brother, for Christ's sake. But instead, here I was, taking care of him. Although Kevin did a great job as a brother, he wasn't home all the time and I constantly found myself feeling lonely at home. I needed someone to talk to, someone that would listen to me and offer my a sympathetic shoulder no matter what was wrong – if my grades were bad, if I was having trouble at school, if I just needed someone to comfort me. And Joe was supposed to be that someone. Things worked out great until Joe had gotten fired. He started hanging out with a group of bad kids, spending less and less time at home and more time with his stoner friends or at the bar. I hardly ever saw him, except at school. The rest of the day, he'd shut himself in our closet to do his homework, though he had a perfectly good desk to use. Then, right after dinner, he would head off to "work". Multiple times, Kevin and I had tried to stop him, and it worked sometimes, but lately, he just would not listen to anyone anymore. Kevin and I gave up trying quite a while ago.

I snapped out of my painful reverie when I heard Kevin asking me to bring Joe his pajamas. I complied, feeling like a robot. This was the routine every night – I would stay up while Kevin slept, I'd hear the sound of a car in the driveway, I'd wake Kevin up, I would get water while Kevin dragged Joe upstairs. Kevin would force Joe to drink the water, and then accompany him to the bathroom where Joe would proceed to throw up, I would bring Joe clean pajamas, Joe would go to sleep, and one of us would have to stay up the rest of the night to make sure Joe stayed quiet.

I helped Joe change his clothes, realizing how pitiful it was when an 18-year-old needed help performing such a simple task. Then, like always, Joe collapsed onto his bed and fell asleep. I stared, disgusted at him.

Kevin glanced over at me, his eyes dull and tired. "I think it's my turn to stay up," he yawned. "Go to sleep, Nick."

I shook my head. I knew that Kevin had had a pretty tough day, with mid-term finals for college added onto the pressure of deadline at the newspaper he wrote for. "I'll stay up. You need sleep more than I do."

"I'm not tired," he insisted, forcing his eyes wide, trying to prove his point.

"Yes, you are," I retorted, sitting down on Joe's bed, crossing my arms over my chest to show him I wasn't going to budge.

"Nick, get off the bed." He tried to sound stern, but he was so tired that I couldn't let him.

"You'll fail the rest of your finals."

"No, I won't," he sighed, exasperated. "Now get off the damn bed and go to sleep."

"I told you. I'm not moving."

"Well, neither am I," Kevin scowled.

We sat in complete silence for five minutes, Joe's loud snoring the only audible sound.

"You know," Kevin commented, "You can be so fucking stubborn sometimes."

"The same can be said about you," I replied calmly.

"Look, Nick, just do us both a favor and go to bed, alright?"

I shook my head no.

"Okay, then, I guess we're both staying up," Kevin grumbled, refusing to let me "outdo" him or something.

There was another long silence before I finally spoke.

"Kev?"

"Mhmm?"

"Why does Joe do this?"

Kevin sighed, closing his eyes for a moment. "Joey is just… stressed."

"Yeah," I said, not quite following the logic, "But why does he drink so much?"

Kevin opened his eyes, and I saw sadness in them before quickly looking away, engrossing myself with a stain on Joe's bedspread.

"Uh, never mind," I said, sensing that Kevin really didn't want to talk about it right now. "You don't have to tell me." The poor guy already had his job, college, and Joe to balance; he didn't need my annoying questions.

"He doesn't know what else to do." Kevin answered my question as if I had never said he didn't have to.

"Maybe we could talk to him?" I asked, chewing on my bottom lip.

"Believe me, I've tried."

"Maybe we should tell Mom and Dad?" I suggested, knowing the answer before Kevin even opened his mouth.

"We can't. It would kill them."

"But this is serious! We need a responsible adult to know about it! I know you're 20, and technically an adult, but that's not the same!"

Kevin shot me an angry look, and I instantly regretted my words.

"I'm sorry," I mumbled, looking down, my cheeks burning with shame. I shouldn't have accused Kevin of not being a responsible person. Hell, he was more responsible than Mom and Dad combined! He was the one that always took care of me, Joe, and Frankie; our parents have always been too busy to raise us properly. He worked hard at school, and spent all his free time working so he could make money to help support the family. He always came home at around six, before Mom and Dad, make us dinner, and leave an hour or so later to his second job as a busboy at some swanky hotel. I felt tears stinging the corners of my eyes, realizing exactly how much Kevin had sacrificed for us – his brothers.

"I'm sorry," I said again, looking away so Kevin wouldn't see me cry. "I didn't mean it."

"Whatever," Kevin muttered, obviously hurt.

"Kev, I'm really, really –"

"You don't have to apologize," he cut me off.

I hung my head, ashamed. I knew I had cut Kevin pretty deep, and I didn't know what to do. "Forget I said anything."

"Yeah, okay, Nick. Whatever. Just drop it."

I wiped my eyes on my sleeve and sniffed. I felt like a complete scumbag who didn't appreciate everything Kevin did for me. I thought back to the time when Kevin, Joe, and I were inseparable, always playing together, going everywhere with each other. Things changed after Kevin started high school, and they haven't been the same since. We started spending less time together, and more time apart. Kevin was always busy at school, and Joe didn't bother with me anymore. Then, Joe fell into his abhorrent cycle, and things just went downhill from there.

Soft snoring from the corner of the room told me that Kevin had fallen asleep. I watched him inhale slowly, and then exhale, so peaceful, so kind. Then I looked at Joe's sleeping figure – the person who had been my brother at some point was now a sloppy shit with nothing I could thank him for. We hardly ever spoke anymore, and I could barely recognize him. I looked closely, trying to find something, anything that would confirm that this boy was still my brother. Then, I searched my heart for just the smallest piece of love I had left for him. Please, God, I prayed, but I
natali chapter 4 . 2/23/2010
oh my god! I loved it ] I cried my eyes out right now! [ u'r an awesome {sp} writer! this is so sad but I was kinda happy at the end because of the fact they can be together... ] {maybe I'm stupid but if u think about it so now they r both in heaven D }

if I was u I would of done like the "meeting in heaven" X]

but this story is perfect n believe me because I don't cry useally... ]

~Natali
UnwrittenLoveDreams chapter 1 . 1/18/2010
i like this story
Carder chapter 4 . 9/20/2009
I never cry..but I felt a conection with story but I don't know how.I cry as I write this and as I read the writing your amazing stories and I will return in part on reviewing.

~C.A.N.~

This was so good, yet so sad! Why did I have to cry? :(

Poor Joseph...

~Sleek Blan~
starsnuffers chapter 4 . 12/17/2008
Aw this was so sad, but i liked it :)
jayyy chapter 4 . 11/16/2008
i totally cried and totally still am ha

i cant beleive he died!
bloodredshoesx chapter 4 . 9/6/2008
at the end, i was like :) but i don't know why.

and the mention of socks made me laugh. even though it was beautiful and it was supposed to be meaningful. but i could find a million and one things to laugh at. even... chocolate chips. the shape of them has me in hysterics - sigh.

anyway, nice story :) although i kept laughing. everything is just always so funny.
rocknrosebubbles chapter 4 . 9/3/2008
ok im basically balling my eyes out right now that is so sad but so good! i loved it even tho u made me cry more than once (3 times!)
kelsey chapter 4 . 8/20/2008
that was beautiful.

it made me cry.

is this the end?

i hope not, but if it was,

that was a great way to end it.

amazing job.