Reviews for Tales of the Cosmic Wars Vol 2 A Star
Piccolo Sky chapter 42 . 10/13/2013
Was Ganon really supposed to be as tough as Kira in the last chapter? Well, phooey. That means we're in store for another dozen or two "power ups" in the next fight with him... :( I mean, I'm one to talk, but even DBZ tried to at least not make theirs end up being "Chekhov's Guns". Like, as soon as Frieza started talking about having additional transformations plus only using a small percentage of his power, it was a foregone conclusion that Frieza would eventually reach his final form at 100%. It was just a question of how long Toriyama planned to drag it out to get there. So in the next sagas, power ups were more "unexpected"...aside from Cell's absorptions since those too were Chekhov's guns. (Has any hero in anime/manga EVER not fought the villain at their most powerful point/managed to stop them from getting maximum power?)

...King Dedede is a penguin? I never noticed that... Huh.

Would a self destruct really be an issue at this point? You'd think guys that threw around power like this could take something as insignificant as a ship blowing up.

To be honest, I didn't even bother reading the last part. No need. Bad guys don't care Ganondorf is dead and replaced him with someone stronger, right?

Well, another side storyline done. Wow...only fifteen chapters from the end, too.

Hope your venture to get Stan Lee's autograph succeeded.
Piccolo Sky chapter 41 . 9/29/2013
As promised, a second chapter this weekend.

Oh, hunch nothing. You really expect the bad guy to set up shop in the broom closet or rec room, Ben? :P

Well...nothing really happened in this chapter except fighting, so...see you next chapter!
Piccolo Sky chapter 40 . 9/28/2013
I probably should have touched on this last chapter, but that's just a peeve of mine that people (not you specifically) seem to think. They always define human activity as "unnatural". Why? We're just like any other species on Earth, and just like any other species we're interested in promoting our welfare over that of any other. The fact that we can pause and try to promote the welfare of other species is the "unnatural" part. Anyway...semantics out of the way, on with the review...

I have to facepalm with Kira blames his previous failure on being arrogant and then claims he knows every move the good guys are going to make. Isn't that kind of like saying: "Nobody in the entire history of mankind is as humble as I am!" :P

Wow...did Damonus actually nearly say something "humble" at the beginning of this chapter? Perhaps that's one of the REAL signs of the apocalypse... I'd also crack the whip on the new guy. "Uh, Kira, you just got here. You're only number two. I make the decisions and plans around here." :P

Is the Triforce really relevant anymore at this stage? How does it stack up to the other power sources or individuals we've seen thus far? BTW Link, don't feel bad for falling for this evil plot. You fall for A LOT of Ganondorf's schemes.

I'm going to be honest, this chapter brought back entirely too many cliches. They were easing up for a while, which was a good thing, but now they're back en masse. Plus, Ben is starting to turn into a "Goku" in more ways than one, which I do not like. It seems like everyone else is reaching the point where their only purpose is to get beaten up and drag out the story until Ben just steps in and does the business, meaning the only reason they exist is to enhance Ben's prestige.

Only one thing I'd like to know before going much further. Is this battle going to play out pretty much just like Goku vs. Vegeta? Because if so, I'll just read the synopses and move on to the first chapter after it's done.
Piccolo Sky chapter 39 . 9/22/2013
Hey, octopi can be intimidating. Just look at H.P. Lovecraft. Still, it sure was nice of the giant monster to just sit there and not do anything while everyone planned against it and sorted out the history issues. :P

Look on the bright side, Alexei. You did better than an "Android #19"-esque character.

Yuri's philosophy on the rules that Brave Vesperia "go by" and what takes precedence sounds remarkably like how the bad guys always justify themselves...

I'm sure the back story would be more compelling if I actually played the game. The "summed-up" version only stimulates an FFXII-level of interest in me.

Well, so far it looks like I was spot on in my last review...this fight IS being spread over several chapters.
Piccolo Sky chapter 38 . 9/14/2013
All they had to do was install a semaphore flag structure variable on Estelle's critical section to prevent unauthorized access!

...Sorry, I have computer engineering classes on the mind.

She just kills Darknuts with a single spell? Why doesn't Link know that damn spell... I hate those things. "Come on...bit closer...and...damnit, you changed directions you armored SOB!"

There's your standard overconfident villain who doesn't know when he's losing...and then there's guys like Yeager who doesn't see the heroes facepalming and rolling their eyes at their boasting.

If Kirby can call on his powers at will, he needs to call on the most legendary power of them all: ROCK. It's like a Tanooki Suit Statue that doesn't suck.

During the pre-fight banter...

(Ben pulls out a ledger and slips on a pair of glasses.)

BEN: I can point out 10 people just like you who all thought they were the one bad guy who was somehow smarter and more powerful than all other bad guys before them and was bound to win...and none of them had a tooth knocked out of their head before the fight even started. You don't stand a chance. Why don't you just go "all out" right away so you can save yourself the embarassment of being smacked down multiple times? Oh...and the fact that you registered surprise when one of your attacks failed...that's kind of the definition of "underestimating your opponent".

ALEXEI: All you're doing is making your own deaths more long and torturous! Well...that and easily overcoming every last one of my attacks and putting me into progressively greater and greater amounts of pain...

Again, pretty good chapter. Not too drawn out, which it shouldn't be if your opponent is a windbag. Unfortunately, it looks like the next fight is spread over a good three or four chapters... :(
Piccolo Sky chapter 37 . 9/7/2013
I'm going to admit I have a bit of a hard time keeping up with a game I never played and I scratch my head from time to time, but I get the gist of it.

Poor disposable villains never went to First Grade. Otherwise, they would have know is still 0. :P

If you're not familiar with the names of the original Zelda bosses: Dodongo, Gohma, Digdogger, Manhandla (congrats, you just won the prize for most creepy-named boss in NES history), and (Insert-Head-Number-Here)-Headed Gleeok in addition to Aquamentus.

Call me a bastard if you want, but in a situation like the group found themselves stuck in, I would ALWAYS default to the Keanu Reeves solution: "Shoot the hostage. Take them out of the equation." Unfortunately, game designers weren't made for Keanu Reeves. Back in Resident Evil 5 during the Jill/Wesker fight, the first thing I did was start shooting Jill in the limbs to "take her out of the equation". All I got was a big fat "Game Over". Jerks...

...Wait, if the ritual would have completed whether she was alive or not, why didn't they just kill her at the get-go and save themselves the trouble of her drawing it out via her resistance?

And yeah...I would have killed her, or least beaten her to a pulp first/crippled her first. :P Easy way out nothing. This story already proved it's more responsible to kill people being controlled at some points rather than the sacrifice more people over vain attempts to "restore" their sanity. Scenes like this are effective for villains because it's effectively the same deal as in "Full Metal Jacket". The sniper wounded a couple soldiers and then continued to shoot them in non-fatal spots to torture them and make them scream so someone would come out to try and save them...and promptly would be killed by the sniper. The villain is counting on you wasting time, energy, and sympathy. So spit in their face and ruin their little plan.

I would have liked it a bit more if the villain had just "shut up and died" for once rather than always going out with a completely empty threat, and the "big" fight could have been faster, but still good. Kept up to a good speed.
Piccolo Sky chapter 36 . 8/25/2013
Sorry for the delay. School is rough and it's taken me all day to get to this after finishing up my own quotas...

I know in one of the Zelda mangas they actually had a back story of how Majora's Mask came to be...but I can't remember it that well... Ah well, Majora was pretty dumb in that one too as it literally gave Link the Fierce Diety mask before getting into a fight...and so Link beat it without even trying. That's a new one on me...Big Bad actually helping the hero kill them...but ah well. Sorry, Majora, but you're the Android #19 of this story. :P

I have no idea anything about this game series, but...it sounds a bit like a more elaborate "Link to the Past" knockoff in some ways, so Link's presence might be appropriate.

...I thought you said the list of People-To-Kill was going to get smaller. Apparently just the opposite.
Piccolo Sky chapter 35 . 8/17/2013
Why do I sometimes think of Wreck-It Ralph when I picture ol' meathead? :P Not sure if I said that before...but I do.

Not sure I'd be THAT relieved to have Kirby on my side...but ah well. :D

I'm not familiar with this game, to be honest...but, seems like things are "back to normal" for the moment.
Piccolo Sky chapter 34 . 8/10/2013
Bit of a conundrum: Sigma's a machine. Why would any hypnosis work on him as he doesn't have a mind to mess with?

Another annoying thing about Mr. Delusional Windbag is that the whole thing behind his powers just reinforces the subconscious idea that everyone seems to have: good is meaningless...evil is the only thing that matters. I'm not talking about in the framework of this story. I'm talking about that's what everyone thinks in real life. How? Apparently, in spite of being completely corrupt, he can still use "light" powers at will. But if someone non-evil tries using "dark" powers, they become corrupt. Hence, it's implying the idea that evil really is the greatest force in the world and good is "just for kids".

You know...I always wonder if people really know what they're saying whenever they say "you shouldn't force your views on others". Of course you should in the right situation. Hell, if the Enji didn't force their views on others, they'd just kind of wave at Sithanos as they took over the universe. Now, someone might say: "But wait, THEY'RE trying to force their views on US!" Alright...so...you can force the view on someone that they shouldn't force their view on someone else? The whole idea that "you shouldn't force your views on others" is nothing more than one of the key arguments for Moral Relativism, and it's a weak one because it tries to say there is no objective moral truth by saying that you shouldn't violate an objective moral truth of pushing your moral code on other people...a completely self-defeating argument.

In addition, this chapter endorses the whole idea of Moral Hedonism. There is no such thing as good and evil. There is only things people do to bring themselves pleasure while avoiding pain. Altruism is a lie. No one ever does it...they do things that LOOK like it to make themselves feel "uppity". The problem with this argument is that something is good by virtue of the fact it brings you pleasure. In other words, all of the bad guys are "good" because when they kill people and do evil things, they're making themselves happy. Of course, you could say the ultimate standard is "Universal Hedonism": that it has to bring the greatest amount of pleasure to as many people as possible. In that case, Ben is evil because he wanted to make himself a great warrior at the expense of beating down other people...kind of like Brad.

Whoa, whoa, whoa...what's this crap Myers is saying? Essentially, he's telling Ben: "Ok, we'll cover up the fact you mass murdered everyone so long as you never do it again, you big lug"? You've been trying to tell me for several chapters that Ben is completely innocent and didn't do anything wrong...that it was all Necron possessing him that did all of this. So what's this? Is Myers saying it WAS his fault, in which case...what the heck, man?! You're just going to make a couple billion people "disappear"? Was he lying when he said earlier that he thought it was Necron responsible for everything? If Necron WAS responsible, why is he giving Ben a hard time about it? And it's not like you can really say to someone: "Now don't go having dark gods sneak up behind you and possess you, or I'll have to punish you." That's like saying don't go getting a flat tire...you don't really have any control over it.

...I have to admit, Myers looks like the LAST guy to take advice from in the story at this point, considering how utterly incompetent he's been in regards to decisions and responsibility. Though that may change now. I mean...at least he shook his finger vigorously at Brad at the end of this. That makes him at least as competent as the UN. :/
Piccolo Sky chapter 33 . 8/4/2013
This review is actually for a couple chapters in a row, and I kind of wrote down my thoughts as I had them.

Silly bad guys...didn't Star Trek tell you that the odds you calculate for chances of victory are always painfully off? ("Odds are approximately 7,891 to 1...but we succeeded anyway, captain. Fascinating.")

The fight actually went pretty good...nice clip...but I think its pacing could be even more intense with less banter. You don't want to lose a good momentum. When someone pops in (like Max did), yeah, go ahead and have a short one, but then get back at it.

"My absolute hypnosis is invincible! Nothing can stop it!"

"...Well, obviously not because I kinda, uh, just did." (Troll face)

AAAAAAND...Villain Breakdown! :) Thank you, Ben, for pointing out the obvious! Although...the flashback sequence seems a little hard to figure out due to wording... I don't know if you've reeditted already, but if you could make it a little less vague sounding.

"Damnit, you minions! How dare you not die when I tell you to!" This guy would fit in great in WWI trench warfare... But yeah...I kind of guess Crazy McCrazy had falsified everything regarding Max. Still not sure I like him at all, though. He just happens to have a "common cause" at the moment.

...Good call, Zidane...even if you chipped the fourth wall a bit to do it. :P

Your bit with the government soldiers being used for private businesses is somewhat reminsient of Robert A. Heinlein's stuff. Ever read him?

Yup...lots of villain breakdown. Practically whining like a spoiled child by the end.

Myers then sees the dark red mass in the sky take form, and is horrified at what he sees! He then stares at Kira and says,"No, don't tell me you were this far gone! Son, have you lost all of your morals?"

...Ok, Kira was right about one thing. His dad is definitely "dumber than advertised". Not only is this the fifth time he's asked this question, and each time Kira's asked in the affirmative, but I thought he had crossed the Moral Event Horizon a couple chapters back now.

And now...the ending...

...and I'll save that for a PM. I'll only say this. I have no idea what Kira's motivation is at this point.
Piccolo Sky chapter 30 . 7/27/2013
Is "It's raining death" from something? Sounds like it...but ah well.

Yeah, by now I've pretty much thought the only excuse for Kira's actions is an acute case of "Ghaleon Syndrome". Like when it comes to the point where every last person in the universe is opposed to him, his logical conclusion is he's the only smart one left. :P You got to love that logical fallacy where "something's right because you can't prove it's wrong". :P

Ezan's attempts to defend his philosophy make no sense. He's essentially saying that right and wrong are irrelevant. If that's the case, then he has no reason to dislike Ben or the others. If the only goal of a soldier is to get sicced on opponents by his master, then he can claim neither moral superiority or a higher standard. He's simply pointed out a target to kill and goes after it. Of course...I think you were intending to show how feeble his motivation was at this time. In spite of supposedly being stronger, Ben was more than even with him without even using his "power up".

Although...I think you meant: "It's getting irritating", not "It's getting irradiating".

Hmm...classic example of "Villain Breakdown" in this chapter. Another thing, though...I don't think you shouldn't spoil your next chapter with your current one either. Usually I glance over those, but today I wasn't so fortunate. Don't mean to toot my own horn, but that's why I do a simple "To Be Continued". Let's people know that this wasn't the last chapter of this "book", but nothing else.
Piccolo Sky chapter 29 . 7/21/2013
Well, more OOCness for Max...

Oh boy...what a "Dr. Evil-level" epic fail on the part of the villains. "Aren't you even going to watch? He could get away." "No, I'm just going to leave him alone...not actually WATCH him die...just assume it all went according to plan." But that's alright. I have plenty of times in my own stories where I have to have people abandon common sense and logic for the purposes of letting people do things. You have no idea how frustrating it is in "The Sorceress Cycle" to write all these infiltration scenes and come up with reasons why no one ever stops them.

Of course...it was kind of goofy to move Ben to a place for a public execution just to hold a private one. They should have, like, shot him in his cell...or something...

Well, things are still moving along. Not really buying a lot of the speeches in this chapter though. They seem to be back from Volume One, before your style improved. It's giving me more of the "effect" I talked to you about in PM. For some reason, this chapter seemed a lot more "hasily put out"...like in a hurry to get it on paper. It might just be me. I don't think you can remember five years ago to whether it was or wasn't... :X
Piccolo Sky chapter 28 . 7/13/2013
...I agree with Doug. How did they NOT see this coming? "Obvious in hindsight"? Maybe if you have the brain of a nematode...

"The universe does not revolve around you, Auro!" Yeah, it revolves around Kira! :P

I'm sorry...I keep hearing White Castle and think...microwaved sliders. :3

Hmm...you know what would make this easier for Zoda? Shatterpoint. I'm pretty sure Mace Windu knew that, as evidenced by the brief "Clone Wars" cartoons. Not the current ones, mind you...I'm talking about the ones done by the Samurai Jack creators where he could pretty much turn an entire droid army into scrap metal by the dozen.

Yup...Kira was already two olives short of a martini...now I think he's lost the gin too. It'd be kind of amusing if he was so damn nutty as a fruitcake when they get to him that he's not even fighting logically anymore.

Well, Lacus is slightly starting to redeem herself...but she'll have to do much better than a few thoughts. I'm still fully counting on her reverting back to same-ol' worthless, weak, puny, dominated Lacus once this is all over.

Anyway...nice chapter. Just the right size, and although things are going a tad slow...still keeping up a good pace.
Piccolo Sky chapter 27 . 7/6/2013
Kira should have pulled a "Hitler" on Zabi. When it looked as if war might break out between Nazi Germany and Russia in WWII, a list just happened to be "leaked" to Stalin outlining a list of Nazi sympathizers within his own government, who just "happened" to be his own top military advisors. Hitler exploited Stalin's tendancy to kill anyone who looked at him wrong to have him eliminate his own military advisors for him.

Uh, so many names...losing track... Oh well. Most of them are only around to get killed. :P

Apparently, the nanites also inject smugness and overconfidence...as most of the soldiers seem to follow the old adege of the typical villain henchman: "Kind of dumb and easy to kill." :P Er, knock out. Whatever. Semantics, pft.

...I will admit, my favorite death in this story so far is Kirby devouring a soldier in mid-reason-you-suck speech. :D

Yazan also forgot the primary rule of sci-fi/fantasy fiction: ALWAYS bring a knife/sword to a gunfight. :D

What do you know? Ol' Meathead did something right for a change. Isn't this the first time he's gone 100 percent?

"Program DiZ"? Wouldn't "Tron" have been more appropriate? :P

Well, the whole backstabbing, genocidal plan seemed to fail rather miserably...but I'm sure it'll come down to some fight with Kira beating down everyone at once without even breaking a sweat and whatnot.
Piccolo Sky chapter 26 . 6/30/2013
Um...sorry, but you had just a few too many "convenient" things for me in this chapter. Kind of made me grimace. And what's the crap you have Max babbling about at the end? Give me a break...now you're actually trying to make it look like he cares one way or the other? And...so many blatant Star Wars references...ugh...
231 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »