Reviews for Why Live?
Firerosemon chapter 2 . 2/12/2011
they're not aliens...they are very advanced mechas ..
Silvara chapter 2 . 3/21/2010
“ Shit. I wasn't about to hurt the child-Mecha's feelings. Wait... feelings? Mecha? And did I just thought that in the same sentence? ...Gawd, I really did. ”

That. Is unrealistic and improbable in more than one way.

First, if the 'bastard' wanted to make his girlfriend jealous, I can't phantom why he would have had the prototype programmed with a fool mouth (there are exception and eccentric people, but that too rare to go with it without explaining a but) and if the Kali did learn some new word since the time she left the lab, then she too has the time to learn and actually in the real big bad world.

Besides, it's a Mecha, which mean, Kali is not to ponder why she "thought this or that" because she knows already why; she know her program. Of course, she would manage to makes it sounds like she was surprised or curious should another being hear/notice. But since this narration goes in her mind, it can't really go like that.

In fact... now that I think about it, maybe the best way to write from the point of view of a love simulating Mecha would be to make it think mathematically cold and Cartesian, while displaying many romantic gestures expressing any feeling at any time.

In sum, its thoughts should be at the opposite of its acts.

Well, that, or it’s not a Mecha. …Isn’t robot fiction hard to write? But it’s easier for me to read an criticize your work than actually try and write one given the many big traps I know I’d quickly fall in. Mh… maybe, at least, we can try and combine your boldness and character with my critics to work something?

Okay, that was but a rant. Don’t mind me if I bother you.
Silvara chapter 1 . 3/21/2010
I'm not sure... it's ok reading, half interesting already, and sort of canon to the movie. So it's ok with me.

But. Yeah, there comes the but, but I'm not sure about how a reader can relate to a "feeling" mecha. Cause, well, she doesn't feel, but only has a conditioned survival instinct, she simulates feelings and sensations. So, well, I can't really folow in the angsty trip.

I guess I am more one of your scientifically curious persons regarding robot fiction. Romance and angst are ok, but maybe it would be best to put distance between the reader and this prototype. Making it seems too human isn't really... interesting. Seriously.

So, to remember us of its mecha limitations, of the illusion its gives, and of the things she (sorry, I mean 'it') doesn't understand. *That* will intriguates me. When I come to read about mecha, I don't expect to read long philosophical theological inner monologues.

But I like the general idea you had here.

Oh as a fan of Joe, I must tell, as well, that I fear there is little chance Joe actually would try to protect another mecha without personnal purpose. It did this for Dave because it noticed that human spared Dave and by remaining with him, it would be able to survive longer. But that's all.

Kay. Now to read the next chap.
static.mind chapter 1 . 11/18/2008
I like it.

I am going to keep reading :)
k0h0xxr chapter 1 . 10/21/2008
Pretty good, however, there were several grammar mistakes.
me chapter 1 . 9/24/2008
They weren't aliens you idiot. The were robots. Highly advanced robots that survived what was most likely an ice age.
Lady Neferankh chapter 2 . 8/1/2008
Good job so far! You've managed to convey the slightly "lonely" air David's home would now have. Though perhaps with two more mechas things will be a bit more lively? When you think about it, I bet neither Kali or Joe has ever been inside a "normal", family home. (Is Kali going to meet Teddy too btw? )

I think you've handled Kali's reactions well, she probably couldn't imagine an orga and mecha being in a relationship-of any kind, where the human genuinely cares at all for the robot.

I have a question, although most of the mechas seemed bitter-with good reason-towards humans, has Kali had an especially painful experience that made her bitter towards ALL humans?
adda lee chapter 1 . 6/26/2008
Pretty good, but the "aliens" aren't aliens, just smarter more advanced A.I after two thousand years of development. Though I do like it, can't wait to see where you go with this. :)
Lady Neferankh chapter 1 . 6/10/2008
Off to an interesting short! The prologue is a bit abrupt, and I think that Kali sounds a bit distant, but I suppose that's to be expected, given that in many ways her personality hasn't had much chance to develop. A few questions, exactly what type of robot is she? Was she modeled after the ex-girlfriend? How much did she know about humans? You handled the description of the crash, and the subsequent freezing of Joe and Kali beneath the ice quite well. Looking forward to seeing what happens next!