Reviews for Dumbledore's Army and the Year of Darkness
Fatma chapter 25 . 7/28
Perfect. Simply perfect.
The Farmer chapter 25 . 7/29
It's hard to really write anything in response to this story, but I want to acknowledge it in some way at least. What you have done with this story is genius, and I don't really understand why it is not the most popular story on fanfiction. As a literary minded person, your work has all of the elements of a great story. What really grabbed me, though, more than the fantastic quality of your writing and the incredibly realistic characters that you created, was how you addressed the issues of war and trauma. It was really amazing for me to read about people who were willingly walking towards their deaths, and although they were not real their bravery is something that is very much not fictional. Your ideas of courage and sacrifice (and all of the other complex layers of emotions and morality) shine though in this story equally as strong as in the original Harry Potter, and that is what I loved the most about J. 's writing. That being said, your development of all the minor characters was still my second favorite thing about the story. They have become a very real part of the Harry Potter universe and my life, and I will never forget them: from Renny, to Neville.
Thank you.
thenewEmily chapter 25 . 7/27
Andrew, what a beautiful story. I've always been a Harry fan, but when a friend told me about your story it made sense that I didn't know what had happen while Harry was looking for the horcruxes and I couldn't wait to start reading.
This is a great story and you are wonderful author, you made me laugh and cry really hard when we lost Collin, Susan and Ernie (that was the hardest, did you have to?) but it was worthit to get to the end.
Thank you and greetings from Chile. Now I'll go keep reading.
liquefry chapter 25 . 7/23
I just finished this story. It's a brilliant tale and superbly complements the original series. I actually warmed to your Neville and Ginny more than the original, and your fleshing out of other minor characters into major players was really well done.

I can't believe this is the first thing you wrote, am hoping you've written a lot more!
This is absolutely the most incredible and beautiful fanfiction I have ever read. I love this so much, and I couldn't put it down. This story was exactly what I was looking for and I couldn't have imagined it any better. This was so wonderful, and I want to thank you for writing this, and for writing it so perfectly.
I cannot even begin to describe exactly how amazing I found this. Your writing skills are absolutely brilliant and I loved how you incorporated the few facts we'd heard about that year and turned it into a story. I'm accepting this as cannon. Every scene was so well thought out and the way you described the war and made it seem real was astounding. I could go on for hours about how great this piece was. Thank you so much for writing it
This is one of my all-time favourite stories, I've read it and the sequels several times and finally got round to writing a review. Over the past 12 years I've been in the Harry Potter fandom, I've read thousands of fanfiction works, this is one of very few to have joined the actual books as being part of my 'canon', (another was Call of the Wild by WolfieTwins, which very sadly is no longer available online).

DAYD is so well written and believable I found I could overlook minor inconsistencies like Colin and Dennis attending Hogwarts despite being muggle-born. Rowling herself never explained how come Dennis was in the Hog's Head on a Hogsmeade weekend in OotP even though it was only his second year!

I love works which fill in the gaps left by the book's necessary Golden Trio focus, I like fiction that walks the tightrope between being highly imaginative and yet still true to the spirit of the HP world. We had glimpses of Neville's hidden courage and conviction, right from the first book when he defies the trio, but this story explains and documents how he finally develops the confidence and leadership skills to openly display his real character and become a true successor to his parent's legacy.

Please keep writing, I hope you eventually finish the third story and the full set of 'twenty random facts about'.
writingmermaid chapter 25 . 7/19
This. Is. The. Most. Amazing. Thing. To. Ever. Happen. On. Fanfiction. I swear, this story is so utterly realistic, it follows the book exactly, and it is still it's own story! The writing is absolutely phenomenal, you know how to spin an amazing tale, and the ending! I just-

Miss Macmillian? And all the connections! And all the canoness and creativity and I could just go on for hours!
Wonderful story. I cried first when Terry and Michael were in bed after Mike's ordeal. And then kept crying. I loved this story. It was the perfect complement to deathly hallows. Great job.
witherwings1212 chapter 25 . 7/14
Thank you so much for writing this. I thought the imagination involved was amazing. I especially enjoyed the character development of Colin Creevey and the way you worked the story around the small details given in the books. Thank you again!
dTalkingMeowthJ-Cat chapter 1 . 7/7
Yaay for Neville
mutsumi chapter 25 . 7/2
Lovely read. It was something I could imagine happening in school tho I had some reservations on Neville's development. It was subtle enough that he became their leader tho I could not really imagine them all being really military-like. But I loved the whole story. It brought back my love for all things HP and Ravenclaw. Which made me sad by the way when Padma got killed. I always imagined her to have lived and married one of the Ravenclaw trio boys. :)
Currently reading this story for the first time. Amazing so far.

There is something I'd like to point out:
Colin Creevey and Dennis Creevey are Muggleborns (unless I completely missed something explaining why they are at Hogwarts in your story?). With the new regime they should not be at Hogwarts during this school year. If you go by canon I believe they only return to Hogwarts when Neville calls the rest of the DA for the final battle after Harry returned.

Anyway this is only a small detail and it doesn't bother me at all. Really amazing story so far and I will finish reading the rest of it. I hope the rest of this story is just as good
mckydstarlight chapter 25 . 7/1
This story has been amazing!
waitwhatsthisfor chapter 25 . 6/18
wow! I absolutely loved this story. I cried so much in the last few chapters. Neville has always been one of my favorite characters in the HP universe. I loved how you captured his personality and his journey into adulthood. You were so creative with the incorporation of different types of magic from different lands - it simply makes sense (and apparently JKR thought the same thing because she's incorporating Native American magic some how into Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find them). I thought your writing style was perfectly descriptive and engaging. I thought the story worked perfectly within the Harry Potter realm and the timeline of the book. Much applause and what a wonderful story! (I read it in three days!)
1,590 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »