Reviews for Dumbledore's Army and the Year of Darkness
I love you. You are a great writer sir. As descriptive as Jo and as vivid as a movie. You are brilliant as writer. Is and probably the best fanfic I have read...a gem in millions. You are brutal but its so believable... Nothing looks as if it can't have happened. It's almost as if Jo wrote it herself which is saying a lot last thank you so very much for book 8:)-if ever Jo writes about this year I'd probably start comparing her with you.
Irene-thewriter chapter 25 . 9/15
I am lucky enough to have checked out this story already written and ended. I loved it, hated it, loved it some more. It has made me laugh and smile the only way books do, knowing it's just fiction but feeling happiness o sadness for the characters in it all the same. I hope you've written more, or keep writing other stories fan-fiction or not. Take care
Loved this story. This was honestly my first fanfiction I've ever read. I was brought to your story from a random comment on reddit that linked me. I really enjoyed what you did with all the characters. Thank you for your hard work. I truly appreciate it. Also, I enjoyed your last comments about how true children are fighting in real muggle world's. I am active duty military and know the risk. Thank you for the support.
authorGirl27 chapter 25 . 9/7
This is an utter masterpiece. I never thought about Hogwarts year 7, but this is definitely a needed companion piece.
The best fanfiction I've ever read
This has been more emotional than any book I think i've ever read. Fantastic job although Im still not over susan coming back and ernies sacrifice.
Absolutely incredible. Best fan fiction story I've ever read. Thank you for this masterpiece and thank you for honoring the soldiers at the end!
propita chapter 25 . 9/6
This was truly amazing. Just beyond words. Thank you.
Anastasia Cross chapter 25 . 9/6
Beautifully written, could've come from J.K. Rowling herself!
AH chapter 5 . 9/3
Great chapter! Just one thing- Ernie is gay, so Susan isn't exactly his type!
Fantastic story. Well done.
Caitie chapter 25 . 8/30
I absolutely adore this story. The one thing that I wished you had researched more is who dies and who doesn't because the majority of the people you listed, do not, in fact, die. Many of them go on to have children or get married. Ch Chang, for example, marries a muggle man and Lavender Brown marries Seamus. Not trying to diss your story at all (its honestly brilliant) I'm just giving you advice for future stories!
mangaluva chapter 25 . 8/17

This story was visceral, it was brutal, it did NOT shy from the physical or psychological cost of war, and gods did I cry (and nearly throw up more than once at the ways some people died...)

You did a fantastic job at thoroughly fleshing out many of the more minor characters, really making me feel for their pain, their fear, their deaths, and also take so much joy in their friendships, love and jokes. This was a hella dark fic, but it felt so, so worth it. The losses felt brutal, but the win felt worth it. I always wanted a book about Neville, the boy who went from baby to BAMF, and this will definitely do XD Very well written, and very well done.
mangaluva chapter 12 . 8/16
Bloody hell. It's 4am and I need to stop and sleep, but I desperately don't want to.

I didn't know about fanfiction yet when I first read Harry Potter as a kid, and by the time I came around to it I wasn't interested in looking up Harry Potter fanfic. A recent reread of the series left me pretty hungry, though, and one of the first fics I had suggested to me was this one, and christ am I glad I was. I thought Rowling was brutal in Neville's descriptions of what was going on in Hogwarts in tDH, but you've made it absolutely visceral, and worse than the actual torture is the way these kids have learned to think... the way they casually talk and joke and plan around all dying in June hits really hard, and having some knowledge of who lives and who dies (assuming this is following the book exactly) doesn't really make this better. Knowing that Neville, Ginny, Luna, etc survive doesn't make it any easier to read how they have fully accepted a future that will almost certainly be short. And in Colin Creevy's case, EVERYTHING IS SO MUCH WORSE because following up his brutal acknowledgement that his parents were probably dead and he'd probably have to look after his brother, they really are dead and Colin nearly dies trying to prioritize his brother's care... I never thought that much about Dennis Creevy in the books, but I have STRONG feelings about strong sibling bonds that you have SERIOUSLY fanned in this and I am hurting in so much anticipation of the moment when Dennis loses his last family member. Absolutely no stones cast here if you decided to retcon that. No complaints. NO I CAN'T READ MORE IT'S 4AM.

I also like the really nuanced way you handled the Slytherin DA members, and the difference between one's political beliefs and political allegiances. Respecting others who value freedom, even if it's the freedom to have different beliefs from you, even if they're beliefs that you find repugnant, IS REALLY IMPORTANT. Trying not to noisily cry at 2:30am for the FOURTEEN YEAR OLD the Death Eaters tortured to death... urgh.

And yet despite the incredible darkness in this fic, it's not utterly bleak and depressing. You've set it off with the perfect amount of humour and love to make it feel like it's all worth it in the end. The strength of the friendships formed in the DA, especially between Neville and Ernie or everyone and Luna, is just wonderful, and I'm loving the Ernie/Susan and Neville/Hannah romances. They're poignant, they're fierce, the whole trip to Gretna Green (until the Patronus) was a funny, adorable breather, and it's just so perfectly true to the books that love, romantic and platonic, is so key to the heroes.

Also, you have kept up the fine tradition of Minerva McGonagall being the Best Person Ever and I salute you.

I could talk for a million years about why I'm loving this fic but I should probably save it for when I actually finish it (probably 4am tomorrow at this rate), but one last thing: the weaving in of international magic styles, of spells in different languages, is fantastic, and this chapter in particular, with Seamus invoking old, OLD Irish magic... I also have seriously strong feelings about Celtic lore and mythology, so that kind of magic being a real and incredibly powerful force in this world makes me indescribably happy. (Also, he will be killed by those he betrayed, huh? OH MY GOD. YOU'RE FANTASTIC. YOU REALLY ARE. YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT.)

Anyway, I can see this fic is a few years old, but it's fantastic and I can't wait to get some more of it. Stay awesome.
Colin Creevey chapter 3 . 8/4
I'm happy I went ahead and read this one too. Now things got interesting. I didn't think Neville would let Luna and Hannah get tortured. I disagree with the idea of checkmate either way though. Neville was made leader and he's even, easily the weakest piece. Stronger but still the weakest piece, maybe a couple of Knights would be sacrificed, or a rook but not the King itself. Still, if he hadn't, I'd have been disappointed. I like this. What a worthy punishment too. Snape is still Snape. Even if he's good, he's still Snape. Very good.
1,622 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »