Reviews for Dumbledore's Army and the Year of Darkness
Arhie chapter 25 . 10/13/2016
This is amazing. At the end of HPDH I had really wanted to know more about what had happened at Hogwarts, and you fulfill that in spades. I particularly like Neville and Ron's discussion at the end - very interesting perspective on how all of this happenend. Superb work!
dootadoot chapter 25 . 10/10/2016
It has been years since this was written but I need to let you know how fabulous this was. You made all those characters that are just background noise into people I truly cared about. You made the battle that much more real and heartbreaking than Rowling did. You showed Neville in full humaness, flawed but perfectly done. The only thing I wished had been answered was where Krum came from. I don't recall any explanation for why he would have kept in touch with the Order or Weasleys enough to know nor understand why he would have tried to undertake a rescue alone. You cast him beautifully and gave him a grand entrance and exit. I just wish their had been more to it. Considering the undertaking of this story and how fantastically it was brought together that one thing wouldn't bother me if I wasn't half in love with your Krum ( and Seamus if I'm being honest ). You manage accents wonderfully, btw.
Guest chapter 22 . 10/7/2016
Ohmygod this story is incredible and its making me cry and it's so good
GreenieK chapter 25 . 10/2/2016
This was an amazing book. Thank you so much for writing it. I loved it.
GreenieK chapter 23 . 10/2/2016
The deaths are even sadder now.
GreenieK chapter 18 . 10/2/2016
I absolutely LOVE this story.
Guest chapter 25 . 9/29/2016
Amazing. Thank you.
Dina chapter 25 . 9/16/2016
Just one word :
AMAZING
wishitweretrue24 chapter 11 . 9/17/2016
That's not what the prophecy means... not even close.
wishitweretrue24 chapter 10 . 9/17/2016
The attitude of Neville and the way that they call him Commander, is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.
hpfanscs chapter 25 . 9/12/2016
Yes, war is terrible and you presented it as such. This story has been hard for me to read and finish. I lost a brother in Vietnam. All you can do is carry on. Thank you for your well written story.
Schlepian chapter 25 . 9/3/2016
Alright Finally finished reading this story.

Wow

Absolutely loved it. Brutal Hogwarts - Neville's growth - Army Training/Mentality - Linking it pretty closely to include canon events from Neville's POV... great stuff.

I don't quite remember 50/70 students dying in the fight for Hogwarts but that's fine *cries*
Guest chapter 25 . 8/26/2016
My name on here is rogue, but it's been so long since I've signed in that I've forgotten my password. I felt urgency, though, to let you know how incredibly grateful I am I looked into your fic! It was a general group recommendation and a type of fix I never read, even 15 years in, but something compelled me to give it a try. It swallowed me up completely. I can't believe this is your first fic - this is so professional, incredibly well-written and I loved the style, the tone.

The hardcore truth of it, that year and the battle, was so hard to read but seemed so much more realistic than the actual book(s). It hurt to read, but that just added to the realism, and REALLY makes you think. This was so well executed, it feels real, and strikes you hard and fast in the gut.

Thank you, for sharing this, and your words here at the end. I am lost for words myself.
Twinnie chapter 25 . 8/24/2016
It could have been such an amazing story... Your writing style is very good, with the right balance between dialogue, action and description. You've put thoughts and work into your fic, and it shows. Unfortunately...

... So, I couldn't read it all. I started having doubts when Neville and Ernie were whipped so hard they almost died, and the teachers did nothing. I expect you could have explained their quite surrealistic survival after three days of being tied up with torn up backs, with magic. But the teachers allowing such barbarism to take place, and in front of other children, and no parent attempting to pull their kid from school after that... It was going a bit too far.
Then, the Forbidden Forest, with the kids escaping by the skin of their teeth. Again, a WTH moment.
The wire thing. How does such a thing as a wire work in Hogwarts, where Muggle technology doesn't? And what was the point, when you have Fred and George's Extendible Ears in-universe to be used for the exact same reason?

I understood with the DragonPox chapter, and didn't reading the following chapters, but I did read your version of the Battle of Hogwarts. It didn't work for me, either.

You were so intent on making Neville a hero, a real one, like those soldiers you so obviously admire, that you made the entire school staff OOC. Plus Harry, plus about anyone who could outshine Neville, actually.

In the books, the teachers stayed inside Hogwarts without openly rebelling because the pupils were safe enough. Snape was keeping them safe. I don't like the man, especially as he was showed from Harry's POV as a real git from book 1 to 7, but he was *always* protecting the kids. Never attempting to murder any.

The rest of the staff would NOT have waited for Harry's return to make a stand if things had gone as far as what you describe. What was the point of their remaining Hogwarts teachers if they could neither teach nor protect? There were enough of them that they could have overpowered Snape the Carrows long enough to get the pupils away from the school, had the need arisen.

The Cruciatus Curse... Why exactly is your version of Cruciatus an Unforgivable? Kids get over it with only the help of other kids... And then they show off about it. Your Cruciatus sounds like a painful hex, but not like an Unforgivable Curse that damages nerve endings and causes madness.

You twisted all these points, and more than a few others, to write the story you wanted to write. You adapted the HP universe to your story, instead of adapting your story to the HP Universe.

But when you made Ernie give his live for Susan... Maybe you didn't realise you were cheapening Lily's sacrifice. And if Lily's sacrifice had been common enough that it could be reproduced that easily, then Voldemort would have heard of the existence of this kind of magic.

Your story doesn't make sense. Not within the HP universe. Your writing is good, I wish I could read something of yours about an original setting, or even about another fandom, maybe. You could have written such a good story, if only you had bothered with being in-universe...

You have so many reviews that you won't care that I'm harsh, so it cannot hurt to write it: you may mock Mary-Sues, as one of the stories in your favourites suggests.
But the story you wrote wasn't about Dumbledore's Army or Hogwarts' lost seventh year. You were trying to write about Neville Longbottom, but instead you wrote about Gary Stu.

And it wouldn't be such a disappointment if the beginning of your story hadn't shown such promise.
Guest chapter 25 . 8/21/2016
This was amazing. Thank you for writing it.
1,857 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 .. Last Next »