Reviews for Dumbledore's Army and the Year of Darkness
Danwea chapter 25 . 4/27/2009
I haven't sat through a fully length Potter fanfiction since I finished Cassandra Claire's Draco Trilogy.

He writing style pales in comparison to yours. I began reading this last week and have powered through internet page after internet page, wanting more and more, even suffering a two day long headache because of it and boy, was it worth it.

Simply beautiful, really. You've done an amazing job. It's amazing how canon you've kept this.

Simply put, it takes a lot for someone to write Potter the way Jo would, to write Potter that keeps me interested the way you have. I haven't read fanfiction in a very long time, and thanks to this, I'm starting to wonder why.

Thank you and congratulations again.

I laughed, cried and most importantly, enjoyed.
Hekateras chapter 25 . 4/24/2009
*sniff* Beautiful. I've been completely glued to this for the past few days... The last few chapters had me sobbing in many places, and yet it all ended so right... Wonderful. Simply a masterpiece, and I'd be the first to say that it deserves to published alongside the original story itself.
h-vic chapter 2 . 4/22/2009
The way that you are controlling the pace of Neville’s metamorphosis into a leader is very well handled, and the way in which people have to keep shoving him back onto the path.

They were adults now, adults and soldiers who still had to be children and students, and this was war, and this was hell, and this was heaven, and he was a victim and a leader and terrified and fearless and everything - everything was different than it ever had been before.

*sighs in delight*

So well done!

I loved that the Hufflepuffs got their well-deserved moment of glory here too in the whole House wanting to enlist, and that Parvati showed her Gryffindor side. Sometimes I feel like she almost gets an even worse press than Lavender, because Padma is so often seen as the ‘serious’ twin and consequently Parvati is unfairly portrayed as utterly shallow in contrast, so it was utterly wonderful to see the strength that she had. Neville kissing her at the end was just so fitting.

I also thought it was a nicely thought out tweak of characterisation that the Troubles should serve as Seamus’ motivation (it had never occurred to me that he might be Northern Irish rather than from the Republic actually but it fits really well).

I do like the lighter moments as well though:

"I don't expect it to be a hundred lines of 'I will be a good little minion' and then tea and biscuits," he retorted.

“Calm down, mate. A person’d think Parvati was up there havin’ your baby to look at you.”

Those two sections in particular really had me giggling.

~Hannah
h-vic chapter 1 . 4/22/2009
I kept seeing references to this story around LJ, and so I've been meaning to read it for ages. I finally settled down with a cup of tea and thoroughly enjoyed the first chapter. The dialogue has a wonderfully real feel to it and the touches of humour are very nicely balanced against the angstier moments.

I loved the way too that you've breathed life into the minor characters and seem to be giving a lot more credit to characters like Ginny and Lavender (a favourite character of mine in general), who often get a pretty raw deal in fanfic in the ways they are portrayed.
Rowaine chapter 25 . 4/18/2009
Astounding, beautiful and terrible and ultimately awe-inspiring. You have written a version which shines in its honest portrayl of the sacrifices, horrors and heroism in war and in life. Your drawing of each character will always stand out in my mind as the truth. The conversations, the action, the storyline flows flawlessly. If no one reads any other HP fanfic...this is the one they should. If you ever decide to create and people your own world and put it in book form, I want to be first in line. I applaud you.
Shizuka Sen chapter 25 . 4/13/2009
This is the only "Harry Potter" fanfiction I have ever finished and certainly the first and only one I have ever loved. I generally avoid this fandom, preferring Ms. Rowling's work to that of us amateur writers. This work, however, radically exceeded my expectations and is definitely in the top few fanfics I have ever read.

I, too, write mostly to try to make others think, to affect them intellectually and emotionally and maybe, just maybe, when they are finished with something I've written, they'll think back to it one day and be glad they took the time to read it. "Dumbledore's Army and the Year of Darkness" definitely qualifies as one of those for me - that it is a fanfic does not at all detract from the wonderful writing you've developed here.

The way you worked the story into the series is amazing and must have been a serious undertaking. You did not shy away from the story that needed to be told. Neville's perspective and development as a soldier and a man was expressed beautifully. Throughout the story and when reading your dedication at the end, my thoughts flew to real-world soldiers fighting even now for ideals the world needs to believe in.

I've been reading this story whenever I've had free time these past few weeks and have enjoyed it very much. Thank you for posting this. Though I discovered your story months after it was finished, I wanted to review to tell you how much it delighted and impressed me. Excellent work.
chocoluvr chapter 1 . 4/12/2009
Good chapter with Neville confiding to Ginny his fears and the blame that he feels for his parent's condition and starting up the DA again. Its interesting that he didn't get that Hannah was jealous of Ginny for spending over an hour in the boy's dorm.
CherryPit8 chapter 25 . 4/10/2009
This story is absolutely brilliant! I'm delighted to see that there are sequels.
earthgoddess36 chapter 20 . 4/8/2009
Note to author:

THANK YOU! That is exactly what an good chapter ending is supposed to look like. I mean, honestly, where does Jo get off putting that at the top/middle of a page! It's fucking IMPORTANT, besides INCREDIBLY HORRIFYING, and just generally MIND-NUMBINGLY BRILLIANT, tho in a bad way. Thank you a thousand times over for putting those bone-chilling words at the end of the chapter before The Battle of Hogwarts.

On another note, I kind of feel bad, because right now I'm way more sympathetic to Neville than Harry. The initial RoR scene was bad enough when I read it in DH. I just wanted to scream at him WHY CAN'T THEY HELP YOU?1 HUH? But this time around I cringed twice over. I mean, yeah they both went through a whole shitload of insanity and chaos, but Neville...well, to put it simply, Neville's become a man, and a damn BAMF on top of it. Compared to that, harry seems...pathetic.

What the deuce

Shevy chapter 25 . 4/7/2009
This is the first fanfic ever that has made me cry. It's also the first fanfic that has made me post a review. Congratulations on both.
earthgoddess36 chapter 17 . 4/7/2009
Have I ever mentioned that Seamus is fucking AMAZING? he's absolutely your funniest character. Half of what comes out of his mouth has me rolling on the floor, and accent just makes it better. I totally thought he had gotten caught by some Death Eaters and had to fight his way out, when it turns out all he's done was get drunk, get in fights, and get laid every day of Spring Break. Cheers, mate.

BTW, the whole execution thing was INSANE, but in a cool way, because obviously someone was gonna save them, and I assumed it would be with a broom. Dunno why I thought that, but it just made sense in my head. What DIDN'T make sense in my head was Krum. Krum? KRUM? Since when did he become an activist? Honestly, I think you could have explained that in a bit more detail. I'm still waiting for someone to clear up that bit of plotline. I actually thought it was Kingsley at first, because of the pro-auror thing he had going on. But did he have to die in their place? Did they have to catch him? really? *sigh* that just ain't fair.

Anywho, thought you should know I'm still reading, and loving every minute of it. Hm, love isn't really a strong enough word. It's more like ADORING, or OBSESSED OVER, or...hm, those still aren't quite what I mean, but you catch my drift.

I honestly feel like an 8th book has been published and I got to wait until midnught when it was released and read it all in the next 15 hours, like I did with DH...except that for this I need a computer, and I can't read it constantly, because it's not summer, so I have to juggle it with school. As you can guess, I've been reading instead of doing homework. Lovely.

wow, long review, sry, just keep on writing fantabulously and I'll be happy.

-Ginger, your adoring fan ;-)
earthgoddess36 chapter 13 . 4/6/2009
That's...that's...*shivers*

That's despicable. It's gruesome and horrid and disgusting and gut-wrenching and they both deserve 10 years of torture for beating and raping an innocent girl.

Honestly, I wouldn't have been able to hold that much restraint. I would have pummelles the both of them until their skins shown worse scars that Lavender's. It's really too bad that men kind of can't be raped. I mean, yeah it's possible, but it's a lot easier and a lot more common for women to...yeah.

Beside that, that entire scene was bloody brilliant, from the lessons to the clear, pleasant voices, to the small but painful injuries to the memory charm.

Spectacular chapter

...Thought you should know...

earthgoddess36 chapter 6 . 4/5/2009
Wow, I was totally stuck between laughing hysterically or sobbing hysterically by the end. With every single student saluting their courage, and most of all, with Luna quoting Dumbleodre's speech...

...gods...

What an emotional roller coaster.

earthgoddess36 chapter 2 . 4/4/2009
wow, this is just...wow.

And I'm only on chapter 2...

Just wanted to mention how sad it is for Hannah, because she obviously likes Neville a lot, and now he's fallen quite suddenly for Parvati.

Not that I'm objecting. Neville should get some form of female happiness through the course of this terrible year, and I like Parvati. I just feel a bit sympathetic for Hannah...this'll crush her...

BTW, you write INCREDIBLY well. I'm quite impressed. And you updated it all in 5 days? OK, so I'm gonna guess you wrote the whole thing before even publishing the first chapter. That's cool of you. Personally I like getting feedback on one chapter before writing the next, but that's just my style.

Anywho, thought you should know there are people stil out here, reading this amazing fic, even though it's complete. I probably won't review again...I usually don't for completed fanfics. But I might make an acception. Who knows? What I do know is that whoever you are, you should seriously consider a carreer in novel-writing.

bethemoon chapter 25 . 4/2/2009
*goes to weep in the corner*

damn it, you've torn my heart out and left it somewhere else completely!

That was crazily amazing.
1,572 | « Prev Page 1 .. 74 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 94 .. Last Next »