Reviews for Advantage
Hanajima-san chapter 1 . 8/16/2009
I love it. As always, I want more Royai, but beautiful all the same. I love the costumes :)
flybynight00 chapter 1 . 1/18/2009
Fun! Grumman really has no shame at all. And Roy, so vain! And I totally call the woman with the kiss in the corner of her mouth: it's the description of Mrs. Darling from the original Peter Pan!
Miskcat chapter 1 . 6/18/2008
What a lovely, fun story! I loved the costumes you devised for each character. Especially Falman the Pirate and Havoc the Highwayman. And I had to guffaw at Armstrong's costume and his rationale. Everyone was very much in character. Really good, pleasant interlude in the lives of all these people.
Legendary Chimera chapter 1 . 6/13/2008
HEE! The Duke! I liked the subtle Havocai and the way you handled Gruman. You were giving me bad ideas with the Roy Sheska. Bwahahahha! Now I'm off to read chapter 84! I hear it's epic!
Griselda Banks chapter 1 . 6/13/2008
I nearly flipped out when I saw this story on the page I was browsing. You need to start writing more, girl, or one of these days you're going to give me a heart attack! _

I think, without a doubt, your Royai Day piece is the most original of all. While the rest of us are all worrying our heads over romantic evenings or dramatic confessions of love or whatever, you're off having fun with a costume ball XD I really enjoyed reading this; I laughed aloud at Hughes's costume and the description of a six-legged horse - and as you might know, I rarely laugh aloud while reading something silently to myself. And Fury tripping over his wizard's robes reminded me of your crossover, and Mustang's dismay at wearing robes _ In fact, all the costumes are wonderful, and if I took time to mention them all, I'd be here all day. Mustang's costume especially made me grin, and most of the others earned a smile as well. You picked them well, my friend ;)

But, PFFT! The Fuhrer was a BANANA? I think I'll remember that till the day I die! XD

Here are the few shaky spots I noticed:

"Everyone who was anyone had been invited, and so too were a few who weren't." - Does that mean "some people who weren't anyone had been invited" or "some people who came hadn't been invited"? It's probably just me, but that confused me a bit.

"“Roy Mustang, Duke of Hamner,” he said, now wearing smile." - should be "wearing A smile."

"Havoc yawned, using one dark glove to cover his gaping mouth.." - You put two periods in there ;)

All in all, a very fun Royai Day piece. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Great job, Dai _

P.S. I'm debating about whether to put this in the C2 or not. It's well-done and original, but I'm not sure there's enough Royai to count. You DID say "Royai-ish" in the summary. So, I'm not quite sure...
littledemonpixie chapter 1 . 6/12/2008
I must say that I enjoyed this story. It was nice and light and very subtle. I also greatly appreicated the eloquence with which it is written and the attention to detail. Thank you for a good read.
MoonStarDutchess chapter 1 . 6/12/2008
Great job! Looks like we both barely made it in time.
strandedthought chapter 1 . 6/11/2008
Aww...poor Fuery.

I love that you described Mustang's costume so well XD.

lol, Armstrong.

I don't know who to feel sorrier for Sciezska or Roy DX

'“Not being able to see your face doesn’t mean any more women will want to dance with you,” he snickered.' Poor Havoc, Roy's so jealous XD

I like your logic concerning the lightness of foot soldiers learn and how that is good to have for dancing!

"She’d never hesitated in following him, no matter where he went, and he’d led her into many places more dangerous that a dance floor." ~so beautiful

XD one-eyed banana

Wonderful piece you've got here. I love all the costumes, and they fit each character so well. I'm amused that Mustang was a duke and Hawkeye a queen, great reversal or rank there.

I only noted one typo :

2nd to last line of the 2nd paragraph "...only Lieutenant General Grumman would invite people top dress in costume..." top should be to.
Bizzy chapter 1 . 6/11/2008
Mwahaha I love the idea of Roy not only wearing tight pants but also like thinking he looks good in them. It's greatly amusing.

The royai in this was very subtle.

Grumman went as a candelabra? That's kinda a lame costume haha.

This was amusing. I liked that their costumes could have come togehter and been planned as such, even though they weren't and were from different eras.
Stoplight Delight chapter 1 . 6/11/2008
I love the first paragraph. It's such an apt description of Grumman. The thought of his "weary superiors" was a fun one, too. I think it should probably end with "acquaintences", though?

"One woman even appeared to be dressed in her husband's military uniform"... there's one of those at every costume party, isn't there? Somebody who poached their significant other's closet, I mean, not an Amestrian officer.

I do like Roy's stubborn thought that he's resolved to enjoy himself! Good man!

The. Description. Is. Priceless. All hail the fop!stang! You bring out every detail necessary for creating a lurid and absolutely vivid image of his costume! I particularly like mention of his knobby knees: it reminds us that he's a person, not a painting. You didn't exclude a single detail: just gorgeous!

Nice, too, that he's a little uncomfortable. This would be quite a departure from the norm for our good colonel, but of course, he'd carry it off perfectly!

I LOVE the Hughes' costumes! It's just like something Maes would come up with! You write Gracia so well; I don't know if I've mentioned that before. This is no exception. Aces to Maes for teasing about the lipstick: that's him to a "T"!

Ah, Fuery the wizard! Great visual image, there! Poor guy... And Falman is a piratey thing! That IS a foreign concept - and yet it works! Sciezska the bookworm, and Breda the Ishbalan priest (yikes!), HOW did you come up with all these ideas?

Ooh, you tease! He can't be the schoolmarm, can he? That must be a red herring: it's too obvious!

Poor Brosh. He's always a little nervous, and the company (to say nothing of the costume) just aren't helping, are they?

You're evil! My ribs hurt now! A statue! He's a statue? WHY AM I NOT SURPRISED? I can never get over how well you write Armstrong, really I can't! He's got rippling muscles in his fingers... HILARIOUS!

Another missing "s", though: unless Armstrong's father was the first one to try it, the art of standing still has been passed down for "generations", not "generation". How tragic that he had to "suspend [his] activities for the meal"!

"the former librarian was as clumsy at dancing as she was at almmost everything else, walking and forming a rational sentence included"... PERFECT phrasing. You give a quick run-down of Sciezska's character, AND of her mad dancing skilz in a single sentence. Wow!

Ah! AH! Hawkeye's come a la polonaise! Ooh, she sounds just gorgeous! A good fifty years post-fop!stang, but they'd look SO GOOD together! Men's fashions didn't change THAT much between the seventeenth and eighteenth century!

Havoc robbing his superior... it's so sweet of her to play along! Mustang's comment about his subordinates mask was hilarious, and so in-character!

Fascinating comment about how military training prepares one for dancing. This is what I love about your writing: you have all these fascinating little insights!

"He gave her a charming smile, not much different in physicality to {maybe should be "from"?} the usual smirk he'd bestow upon his informants {subordinants? though I'm sure he gives it to his informants, too}, but of a completely different source." I really love this sentence. It's one of those subtle Royai-ish comments that make this pairing such a fun one to read. Kudos!

"Duke of Eastern City sounds less than half as quaint, and more than twice as presumptuous", and the Duke of Hamner sounds like Bilbo Baggins! :D I love it, I love it, I love it!

Poor Gracia: danced right out of her shoe! I love the Hugheses so much, and it's lovely to see them in an unusual setting like this. Simply lovely!

She's such a darling, too. "Did you intend to match?" And I can't express adequately how DELIGHTED I am that Mustang's aware of the difference in eras! That's my man! He's nobody's fool... 'cept maybe Riza's. It's a nice touch that he's worried about the repercussions of the coincidence, too. I think that Roy would be very conscious of "the way things look": after all, his ambition is a lofty one, and that makes his position somewhat precarious.

Wow. I didn't think you could top Armstrong's costume, but the one-eyed banana did it! What an image: yikes! Grumman really DID invite everyone who's anyone. Nice touch to have him be the one who noticed, too. He is, after all, the Ultimate Eye!

Hee... Grumman WOULD add a bosom to throw people off, wouldn't he? I love how Roy just files that thought away in the "things I definitely don't want to think about" file.

Poor, tired Mustang. This story ends on such a quiet note, and that's simply perfect. That's just what parties are like: a whirlwind of gaiety (if it's a good party, that is!), and then the calm complacency just before one slips away to bed.

Beautifully done! It was just the right blend of humour, sobriety, and Royai! Lightly seasoned with Armstrong, of course...

Brava, bravissimo!
Ruingaraf chapter 1 . 6/11/2008
I love it! I was laughing so hard thtrough the whole thing, especially regarding the candelabra, the banana, and the breasts. Great job, as usual!