Reviews for The Open Door
jjlol chapter 63 . 3/19
Holy fucking shit.
eeon3 chapter 12 . 3/10
I couldn't stop laughing after I read about the hells call centre
Not Random Writer chapter 65 . 11/2/2015
At this point I have no idea what's going on anymore, but the last battle was on of the funniest battle I've ever read
CMVreud chapter 1 . 5/4/2015
And here I am, reading it, again, and again, and again.
CMVreud chapter 46 . 5/3/2015
I really, really, really like those "What (the fuck)?"-moments.
CMVreud chapter 14 . 5/2/2015
I can hear it, the frantic shuffling, the Gongs, the cry " MORTAL KOMBAT: ROUND TWO, FIGHT!"
NonSolus chapter 71 . 3/4/2015
Chilling chapter... I love it!
Guest chapter 1 . 1/25/2015
I recently read Thousand Shinji. I liked some parts of it, I disliked other parts of it, but I enjoyed it overall.

Then I heard about the kind-of sequel. I did not like some stuff that I heard about it, but I decided giving it a try.

After reading several chapters I can unfortunately tell that my misgivings were right: this crossover got quickly out of hand -not surprise here, since that is what happens to most of mega-crossovers-, and it keeps all bad parts of Thousand Shinji -they have actually gottten worse-. At the same time all parts that I liked about Thousand Shinji are missing.

Pick several traumatized teen kids and give them untold power came from psychotic bastards. Obviously, that is a recipe for a disaster. So it is not shocking that those kids become gigantic jerks that enjoying going around being assholes to everyone. It would not be a trouble if they were Villain Protagonists. Villain Protagonists may be great characters. The trouble is... that they are supposed to be the good guys of this story.

Some people may allege that they are the good guys because the old Chaos gods and the bad guys are worse. Look, if you claim that you are good because there's someone worse than you, then you claim is weak. It is like if a serial killer that has murdered hundred people claims that he is good because another serial killer has murdered thousand people. Sure, you may be not so bad, but it does not mean that you are good.

You do not go around saying that you are good because you punish child abusers when millions of kids have suffered as a result of your direct actions.

You do not go around saying that you are good because you are fighting people who sucks souls when you are devouring souls of people.

You do not go around saying that you are good because you are fighting people who is worse than you when you are also fighting people who is actually good or LIGHT-grey at worst.

You do not go around saying that you are protecting other people's freedom when you are destroying people that has done nothing, and brainwashing and annihilating people who has the gal of calling you out on your actions.

It is especially frustrating because the plan of the Old Chaos Gods was creating new non-evil Chaos Gods, and the point of the trials of Shinji was showing him that mortals suffer when Gods behave like jerks. In the final chapter he seemed having understood that lesson. In fact he declared to the Eldar and Ork Gods that he would try NOT to be a jerk to other races. And he decided that he had not servants but followers.

But that Shinji is long gone in this fic. Sure, Thousand Shinji was an arrogant, morally-defective jerk that shrugged off when a woman was being raped in front of him because who cared for a dead alien... but he also cried as he cradled his girlfriend's corpse, sobbing that the only thing that he wished was being loved.

When you declared this fic dead, you stated that it was not meant to be canon. It was not meant to be serious. It was meant to be a silly story where the New Chaos Gods visit other alternate realities and beat up people who deserves it. And that including the White factions was a mistake. I agree. It was a mistake making it serious and showing them trashing people who was not bad. I think that your story had worked if you would have showed New Chaos like somewhat jerkish but mostly benevolent and well-intentioned gods exclusively fighting people who was as bad or worse than them.

It was easier shrugging Shinji's psychotic personality off when he was only fighting his father, Seele and the Angels. Or Asuka's killing sprees when she only killed criminals, acknowledging that her motivations were not altruistic and sparing people. Then they were anti-villains or anti-heroes and nobody pretended otherwise.

Another trouble of your story is it got out of your hands. When you wrote TS you were rewriting the Evangelion history, and it gave you a framework. Here you had no framework, so it exploded. Too many ongoing subplots, too many characters, and since there were SO MANY characters I spent several chapters reading about people that I did not care about as hoping for the return of characters that I actually liked. It became very contrived and there was little motivation to keep reading.

In case you -or someone else- is wondering, I read some chapters of The Doorstop. I hated it. Agreed, it deconstructed the idea of them being the good guys... but by doing so it hightlighted how the characters that I liked had been warped beyond recognition and there was nothing left to like. Asuka is my favorite character, and it was hard seeing her turned into a superpowerful, hypocritical bully that murdered a poor, helpless old man because he had the gal of not being afraid of her calling her out on her crap (What happened to not killing unworthy adversaries?).

Since you emphasized that this was not the real sequel, I will pretend that it does not exist. Otherwise I will be unable to keep enjoying Thousand Shinji.

I hope that you do not think that this a flame (although I guess that it is likely that you stopped caring about this story a long time ago). But I believe that no writer must be immune to criticism -especially if that person is posting his/her creation on a public place-, and I try to give well-meaning, well-reasoned and constructive criticism because I think that it helps writers to improve.
Diaspared chapter 2 . 8/26/2014
So, at least the people are still inside the chaos evas. I seriously doubt they'd really want to be completely chaotic as their grander avatars would.
Abominatus674 chapter 71 . 8/19/2014
I don't even know a bunch of the universes in this and it still had me hooked. I loved the balance between snippets and coherent storylines, as well as the interweaving of the two.

Really disappointed that this seems to be dead. I'd love to be able to read more.
kewllewk chapter 71 . 7/29/2014
I was just wondering, do you have any plans at all to continue this wonderful story?
Neal Raven chapter 71 . 7/7/2014
Seriously epic story! 'BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!' and 'Resistance is amusing' are definitely getting added to my vocabulary.
I love how seemingly overpowered the neo Chaos troops are until somewhere in the middle it becomes clear they are actively seeking out the less advanced universes as TARGET PRACTICE and then ch64 which makes it painfully obvious why they need all the practice they can get in their preparations against the real enemy.
Lars has got to be one of my favorite characters. Danish fisherman turned daemon, not even the comms operator but the freaking RADIO. A badass normal (arguably) if ever there were one.
The fight against the cylons had me laughing my ass off, with their PASSIVE scanning equipment crippling one of the base stars by accident and later Rong-Arya (my second favorite) curb-stomping the boarding party out of irritation at them NOT being a threat.
Most other parts had me internally (and occassionaly out loud) shouting 'FUCK YEAH' or 'OH FUCKING HELL' or just plain cackling hysterically.
In short, I have enjoyed this fic thoroughly through its unlikely alliances, meetings, friendships and so much more. You have my salutations XD
Torrigan Lattonen chapter 71 . 6/8/2014
its a shame this lies unfinished. soo many plot threads. i can see how it would be overwhelming to keep track of it all, your basically writing multiple intersecting stories all at the same time, with a semi shared cast and overarching plot. seriously ambitious. and fairly entertaining. unfortunatly i think you introduced TOO many threads. to properly close everything out i can easily see this becoming a multi-million word, and multi-hundred chapter MONSTER. *shrugs* it would have been worth the payoff in my opinion. (the payoff essentialy being massive amounts of ego boost, and pride...)
Guest chapter 26 . 4/19/2014
Well, topher walker is an honorary angry marine. Cheers
Guest chapter 56 . 4/13/2014