Reviews for Between the Darkness and the Light
Dubhe666 chapter 1 . 8/19/2012
It's great! I love it! Just one question, how can it be written just after CSPWDT if the revelation of Johns last words weren't until Hunted? Also, you mention River Grove which is from Croatoan.
ccase13 chapter 1 . 9/25/2011
Dean and Sam need all the prayers they can get. I'm glad that Dean at least feels comfortable in the occasional church.
bhoney chapter 1 . 11/29/2008
I read this story when it appeared in the zine, and really enjoyed it. Liked it just as much the second time around.

Wow, I can't believe you came up with the idea for an anti-posession tattoo that much before the show even hinted at introducing one. Very nice bit of prescience there! :)

Loved this moment: "Dean looked down at the sink, clenched his jaw and swallowed. 'No, Sam. I believe in you.' He didn’t have to look back to know Sam would have that look, that damn puppy-dog look complete with tear-filled eyes, gratitude, and remnants of not-so-long-buried hero-worship shining in them. But he looked anyway. He owed Sam that much. And he was right about all of it, down to the hang of bangs over Sam’s forehead."

And loved this: “He’s meant to be my brother. End of story.” And: "He’d be a target until the Demon was destroyed, once and for all, because he was the only sacrifice Sam was unwilling to make. Anything, anyone but Dean. Nothing else mattered."

It was really interesting reading this with the hindsight that comes from season 4 having begun, which I didn't have the last time I read this. So much of what you portray has now been played out on the show-Dean being the one thing that stands between Sam and the darkside, the demon taking out Dean to try and get Sam to turn, etc. I think it fits nicely, and shows that you really understand the characters, and the relationship they have.

And I LOVE the parallel between Dean and Saint Margaret. Very nicely done.
amyblair chapter 1 . 8/9/2008
I so totally enjoyed this. I actually saw a lot of my new story in this and thought - aw, we think a like! Cool about the Henna tats that you merged into the story and then later they actually do get the inked tats. Aren't you before your time!

I thought you were spot on with the brothers. Great job on both. Congrats!
Landwing chapter 1 . 7/1/2008
This story is excellent! My favorite thing to see in any story is how well Sam and Dean know each other, being brothers. It was just great to see Dean figuring out why Sam wigged out so much over that vision when Sam didn't want to tell him. And yeah, everyone knows Dean doesn't believe in God, but the image of him seeking out the peace and quiet in the church was an extraordinarily poignant and powerful one. The tie-in of St. Margaret Clitherow was a very nice touch. Very well done.

Just one detail, though. (I don't think it'll affect your story at all, so just for your own knowledge.) As far as I've been able to find, St. Margaret Clitherow's feast day is March 26. I know she died on March 25 back in 1586, but in the Catholic calendar, she's trumped by the Feast of the Annunciation, which is on March 25 and is a major feast of the Catholic Church, being a Holy Day of Obligation. However, since no date is mentioned in the story, it doesn't really affect anything done in it. Just a little FYI.
irismay42 chapter 1 . 6/20/2008
Wow, to say you wrote this mid-season 2 with a whole other Deal in mind, this story still works really well even set mid-season 3. The same themes still apply - namely the boys' willingness to do anything for each other being potentially exploited by the bad guys - albeit a different set of bad guys - just as the Trickster pointed out in Mystery Spot, and Dean still willing to go to any lengths to protect his family and "save" Sam. I really loved how you had Sam acknowledging that Dean was possibly all that stood between him and the Darkside.

Fabulous stuff!
carocali chapter 1 . 6/20/2008
Oh, you have such a way pulling the deepest despair out of each of these boys! I vaguely remember this from before, but it's always wonderful to refresh!

What will these boys do for one another? How will they survive without each other? This brings even more light to what will happen in season 4 now that Dean is 'gone.'

And the tattoos? Awesome! The Krip read your mind!

Great read!

;D

Caroline
Harrigan chapter 1 . 6/18/2008
I've missed the visions! This captures brilliantly what Dean and Sam must have felt and feared in season 2 - so glad you shared it online!
ziggy.uk chapter 1 . 6/16/2008
Awesome writing! Loved the ending how St Margaret Clitherow was really what the boys were all about - dying as she wouldn't surrender her family, and both Sam and Dean would do the same!

Awesome how Dean guessed that Sam's vision had been about himself killing as he was so reticent to talk about it, knowing that something like that his brother would be afraid of talking about, tempting fate.

Great that they managed to save the girl, Sam's vision being averted this time, hopefully giving both boys a little hope.

And adored how Dean actually found sanctuary in the church, a place someone who viewed faith like he did would not usually visit but that he felt drawn to.

My review can't do justice to your amazing story, loved it!
Linnie McCary chapter 1 . 6/14/2008
I enjoyed this very much. The section describing the onset of Sam's vision was very intense, and the one with the henna-well, I burst into laughter at the mention of Sharpies, but by the end of it, I was definitely a little misty! Also enjoyed the taut way you dealt with Sam shooting the girl. Liked the circular nature of the story, and that you didn't leave much dangling-they did NOT call to find out how the girl was doing, and they did NOT check back in on the situation in Hastings. Great attention to detail. And what a high-caliber beta-posse you've got! Thanks for sharing.
calcium77 chapter 1 . 6/14/2008
Great Story! So well written. I loved it.
Nana56 chapter 1 . 6/14/2008
Well done. Scary stuff, that time. Not sure this current time is any better for Sam at all in that way, Dean notwithstanding. You did an awesome job of showing their commitment to each other. I really enjoyed this a lot!
deangirl1 chapter 1 . 6/13/2008
Thanks so much for posting this. It's so nice to have some stories that were originally published in Zines here. This is a great insight into the bond and its effect on the brothers. I also like your reflections (or Dean's) on John and the burden he placed on Dean. Not hard to see why this was snapped up!
krimson chapter 1 . 6/13/2008
That was very, very nice!
TraSan chapter 1 . 6/13/2008
I like the undercurrents of faith in its many forms in this story.

Sam's faith in Dean, in his words, in his abilities. His faith in himself because Dean believes in him.

Dean's faith in his family, in Sam.

Dean's reluctant faith that God might exist and that he could use divine intervention.

All of those instances and more were touchstones of a bigger story that was woven inside the seemingly main story.

Wonderful told.