Reviews for Death's Pride
G the Headmaster chapter 14 . 10/16
You had laws passed just by being proposed and seconded. Where was the actual vote?
missgsmith51 chapter 12 . 9/30
"Dumbledore has NEVER struck me as the type of man to tell a person all of the story if he doesn't feel he needs to (and we know Canon!Albus didn't, at ALL)."

You certainly said a mouthful there. I have noticed that Dumbledore frequently says truthful things ... but often they have nothing to do with the question that was asked or the point being discussed. An example (or twenty): Amelia will be questioning Dumbledore about something, and she will ask, "Can you tell me where Professor Snape was during this attack?" Dumbledore will say, "Severus Snape has my complete trust." It is no doubt true, but it doesn't begin to answer the question.

Here is another fun one: "Can you tell me why you allowed Professor Snape to fire the Legilimens curse at Harry Potter in such a way that he caused a traumatic brain injury to Harry?"
"Severus Snape has my complete trust." Lovely.

Now that Harry is talking with the Castle, why doesn't he get HER to watch Luna's tormentors and call them out, since Luna doesn't want to do it? I understand Luna's reasoning, but enough is enough. I'd say the level of their bullying crossed into expellable (possibly criminal) offenses when they stripped her naked and locked her out. Giving her that purging potion could be construed as poisoning, and locking her in cupboards for such a long period of time could be construed as false imprisonment, which occurs when a person who doesn't have legal authority or justification intentionally restrains another person's ability to move freely. That sounds to me exactly like what the three girls did to Luna. If she had been left there long enough, vomiting all night, cold and naked, she could have passed out and choked to death. She definitely would have been seriously dehydrated. It's time to call a halt, and Flitwick and McGonagall need to be told. Let's see if McGonagall will FINALLY act.

These girls sound like potential Death Eater material. After all, DEs get their jollies from torturing innocents. I hope they are eventually expelled, as suspension and detention is too lenient.
missgsmith51 chapter 10 . 9/29
It is rather sad to think of a witch as powerful as McGonagall being so ineffectual as a Head of House. Perhaps she is simply overstretched and needs to be relieved of either her Head of House or her Deputy Headmistress position. Teaching itself is a full time job when you factor in grading, tutoring kids who need it, and lesson plans, all of which must be done after hours on her own time; either of the other positions would really strap her for time and energy. Covering BOTH positions must leave her a rather skimpy number of hours to sleep. Add to that the fact that she has to cover Dumbledore's spot any time he is away. Unless she has a Time Turner, I don't know how she does it.

Having accounted for McGonagall's failure to protect her students, it still must be said that teaching and protecting her students are two of the main jobs she has at Hogwarts. If she can't do those jobs, it needs to be determined why not, and the problem needs to be resolved. She also needs to help kids become caring and responsible citizens of the world. Allowing not just her own house (which was despicable enough) to shun and torment Harry during year two isn't teaching students how to behave. Well I guess it IS teaching them to behave badly.
missgsmith51 chapter 9 . 9/29
Isn't Peter an antagonist? What about Snape and Draco? Frankly, I consider Dumbledore an antagonist of sorts.

If I were Luna, I would walk out of the castle, down to The Three Broomsticks, and floor home. Then I would seek my education elsewhere. If I were Harry, I would hire a Potions tutor and drop Snape as a teacher.
missgsmith51 chapter 8 . 9/29
"The original Founders had given the Ministry the right to oversee the school near the end of their lives to keep the school focused on aiming for certain standards ..."

The founders lived in the tenth century, and the Ministry was not formed until 1707. The Founders would have been long dead by that time. There was a Board of Governors who oversaw the school in the absence of any school heirs. The Ministry was not supposed to get involved in the running of the school at all, hence the great outcry over Umbridge. The Wizarding Examinations Authority, headed by Griselda Marchbanks, had their headquarters at the Ministry. They administered the OWLs and NEWTs at Hogwarts, and they also verify the results of the W.O.M.B.A.T. tests.

Poor Luna. I can't imagine how horrific it would be to attend a boarding school where I was tormented as she has been. I wonder who her tormentors are. Harry needs to do the Bully thing he did in Yanagi-wa's "893." It's perfect, and it causes any student who bullies to get a big, yellow B on his or her face.
missgsmith51 chapter 7 . 9/29
You know, Snape seems to want to have it both ways. At this moment in time, he is accusing Harry of this very difficult, multi-part, well-coordinated prank. Yet I can almost feel that, in a few hours, he will no doubt be calling Harry a dunderhead who is incapable of performing simple magic. Snape is quite the contradiction.

I suppose Dumbledore cast the illusion of the cats. I wonder how Ron will feel after ingesting all of those calming draught-laced lemon sherbets. Will he fall asleep in class? If it's Binns's history class, I guess no one will even notice, since everyone sleeps in there.
missgsmith51 chapter 6 . 9/29
Ron needs to put that rat in a cage. I'm surprised the boys in their dorm, including Harry, haven't complained. As Emma said, they pee all over everything ... probably everyone's clothes and beds. Ick! I don't know why McGonagall doesn't insist Ron keep his rat caged.

Well, Harry kind of stepped in it, didn't he? Honestly, calling Remus Moony! I can't wait to hear the explanation he offers. If he doesn't tell him the truth, it should be a doozy. That reminds me ... how did Moony not see Peter on the train? Ron carries him in his pocket, so he should have been visible. Also, how is it Moony didn't see the same edition of the Prophet Sirius saw? Just a couple of things I've always wondered ...

I suppose Dumbledore will try to bind Harry's magic again, once he finds out about Harry's Patronus spell.
missgsmith51 chapter 5 . 9/29
I wouldn't worry about your galleon-to-pound or galleon-to-dollar pricing. Common sense should dictate that a galleon coin is worth far more than the Potterverse has set it. I don't keep up on the price of gold, but I do know that a true gold coin the size of a galleon - if it actually IS gold and not just gold-filled or gold coated (or whatever it's called) - has to be worth more than £5.

Harry certainly was bold in his dealings with Molly (not that I disagree). Wait until she hears about his emancipation. Her screeching will be heard from the Leaky Cauldron all the way to Hogwarts. If she doesn't find out before the kids leave, Harry will probably get a Howler from her on the subject, since she seems to think she has the right to butt into everyone's business.

Please feel free to bash away! I have serious issues with Dumbledore, and you have already established him as a villain in my books just from the sealing business. He reminds me of a big spider, sitting in his office, spinning his web ... in order to ensnare Harry and anyone else he deems "useful" to his plotting.

I'm very curious to see if Harry feels a connection to Hogwarts and her wards. He needs to talk to Lora again.
missgsmith51 chapter 4 . 9/29
"... the use of potions for his malnourishment and to jump start his body into a growth spurt all added together to make one heck of a difference. ... he had gained eight and a half inches to his original height and all of his muscles developed to be easily visible ..."

This will certainly be visible to Dumbledore. Will he put more "limiting seals" on Harry? If his goal is to keep Harry weak, he might try.

Ugh! Too bad Lora didn't warn Harry about Albus. BTW, your version of him seems a bit ... decrepit as far as his physical condition is concerned. I hope he doesn't try to shove Harry back with the Dursleys.
missgsmith51 chapter 3 . 9/29
Why didn't Harry have the Goblins check him out and remove that power-limiting seal? That way, he would have had an entire summer behind his wards to practice and get his magic under control. At some point that sucker is bound to break loose and probably hurt someone.

Harry's letters to Hermione seem overly flirtatious for a 12- or 13-year-old. Hermione's no dummy, and she SHOULD figure out very quickly that something's fishy. Even if she doesn't figure it out (which would be OOC for her, IMO), her mother certainly should be suspicious, if she reads those letters. If Harry wants Hermione to keep his personal business quiet, he needs to fill her in. Either that or he should never have tipped his hand in the first place. Since he has, however, the only way to make certain she doesn't blab in front of the wrong people is to tell her as much as he is permitted. JM2K.
Minuviel Elerrina chapter 11 . 9/9
So far, this is pretty great! But I'm super disappointed that Harry has yet to reach out to Neville. I'm really hoping that comes in the near future, because (like Luna) Neville deserves someone to boost him up earlier in this timeline!
ggf1 chapter 28 . 9/7
thanks. I'm sure your Death Angel was pleased with you
ggf1 chapter 23 . 9/7
I was thinking about your suggestions for other stores and realized I should say how I enjoy them. a pointer to new (sometimeswriters and a bit to tempt me. and a great story

woo hoo
My condolences to the author's family. May you find peace in this time of loss.
highlander348 chapter 8 . 8/4