Reviews for Shades of Gray
interesting story so far, in regards to the nothing points to the potters being really rich with the weasleys being unable to afford 7 galleons for a wand for ron for 2 years the amount in harry's trust vault indicates substantial wealth although owning as much as they do in some fic's is a bit of a stretch i would have expected a seat on the wizengamot even if not a powerful one same with the blacks though i would guess at them being greater financially but weakened politically due to the splits and various marriages
R. A Cross chapter 3 . 6/20
Your story is interesting and I just started reading the first three chapters.

Anyway, I've gotta disagree with you about your comment about the Potter line not being an old line.

The Potter line may not be super rich but they are old. Especially since their line descended from Ignotus Peverell the last of the three brothers and the one who owns Death's cloak. And actually there's also a hint in Canon that Harry may also be from the Gryffindor line. At the chamber of secrets, Harry pulled the Gryffindor sword out of the sorting hat and Dumbledore said that only a TRUE Gryffindor may be able to pull the sword.
StoneTheLoner chapter 22 . 3/9
Shame you never finished this story, because it's easily one of my favorites.
StoneTheLoner chapter 5 . 3/9
This is really starting to tick me off. In almost every interaction he has with people in the wizarding world, he gapes at something or other. Wizards can fix eyesight? Big deal, it can hardly be THAT surprising... He goes into a weapons shop? For some reason the author felt that a shock was needed, because what the hell right? He walks into a pet shop? Whelps, he's going to need ANOTHER shock because why wouldn't he be surprised while in a shop that sells pets, right? And based on the way this story has been written so far, he can't have a simple plane ride to his destination either, no no no. Something shocking will happen during the ride as well, wont it?... This is supposed to be a character who has kept a major secret from his school and friends for AN ENTIRE 5 YEARS! And this is all the composure and self control he has?
StoneTheLoner chapter 4 . 3/9
Hopefully the way Harry is acting at the moment isn't permanent, because it's a bit annoying.
Chrisfragger chapter 1 . 5/23/2015
Are there 50?
Rosalind Fairchilde chapter 22 . 3/27/2015
It's really difficult to find a good story similar to shades of gray and Miranda Flairgold's incomplete trilogy starting with a second Chance at life, I really wish you'd at least continue with this story or the rewrite, they're just awesome! It's a shame when such an awesome story has been abandoned
kyoshi711 chapter 9 . 9/18/2014
You need to get Harry a girlfriend as it adds to the story and highlights a different character.
leylinjan chapter 14 . 9/10/2014
really like this story, really don't see why you would have wanted to rewrite it - it's pretty damn awesome as it is!
The fact that Harry being attacked with the Killing Curse was DIRECTLY responsible for him becoming a mage, and thus more powerful that he would have been as a wizard is just ingenious! Normally we get that 'Harry was chosen by Voldemort', 'Harry has a horcrux in his head', 'uh... and btw, Harry is also extremely powerful'. Your version makes sense and is just plain awesome (- nothing plain about it though... hehe).
In my opinion there is really no need for a rewrite - just wish you'd find your inspiration again and continue this story.
Oh, and btw, I disagree with you on the fact that JK Rowling's idea of horcruxes was something she hurriedly introduced in the 6th book. Harry 'met' the diary-TMR in second year and killed it quite obviously (- there was no shade fleeing the scene like in the first book -). The diary-TMR could learn, and act independently, was thus OBVIOUSLY not a memory ( he lied to Harry). Additionally, the newly resurrected graveyard-LV did not mention in any way meeting Harry in the chamber, and was thus likely unaware of it, because he DID have his usual bad-guy-monologue in which he mentioned (-I think-) the first year meeting with Harry. I think that the 7th book did seem a bit hurried - she should have made two books, like the movies - but I am convinced that the addition of horcruxes does in fact mix well with the rest of the story and is not 'hurried'.
(Sorry for the rant, but I love philosophizing about the series, so when you mentioned this in an AN, I just had to 'talk' about it ;) )
Cheers!
Dragon Of Darkest Night chapter 1 . 8/28/2014
It would have been detter if he found the section a week or two before school let out so he could take a look at all the other discarded books in that section
guitarlover56784 chapter 20 . 8/22/2014
I knew this story wasn't complete, but I really am tired of reading uncomplete stories. I love this story. But for the love of God, if a story isn't finished, don't put it up!
Guest chapter 14 . 4/18/2014
Really very good, but it should be pointed out that (1) a five-foot sword is not a broadsword, but a greatsword, and (2) the Vikings did not use greatswords. A Viking sword would have been under three feet long in the blade, maybe closer than 2' (they were a bit shorter than the swords of the Migration and Vendel Age, which ran about 3'), with a grip that might have seemed surprisingly small to Harry until he got the hang of using it (probably involved palming the pommel and/or hooking fingers over the quillons for extra leverage and control, though the latter might also have been a good way to become known as "Bjorn Eight-Fingers". And, "half a foot in width"?! Maybe a sword made for an actual giant, which is what you seem to be describing here. Even assuming that the runes are in some way lightening the weight for the handler, this weapon still would have to have an insane amount of mass, and if Harry missed one blow with it, his opponent could slice him into sushi before he managed to regain control of where it was going. I'll give you a pass on the decorative strange metal, this being magic-land; and the Norse did use decorative inlay of precious metals on weapons, so the strip down the middle with the runestaves or actual rune (staves are the letters, a rune is the phrase you write in them) is plausible enough.
john chapter 1 . 11/15/2013
Plenty of little mistakes.. Like isle instead of aisle, know instead of no, affect instead of effect, and so on. Other than that, and a few awkward sentences, I'm really liking this. I think what you need most is a good beta editor to go over this and clean up the little things.
FotoDi chapter 3 . 9/13/2013
Questions:

(1) Why doesn't Harry ask about cost? (tuition?)
Harry is only 15... Not 16 until July 31st.
Doesn't he need a Guardian's signature?

(2) Why doesn't Harry ask about any prejudices/beliefs
between Wizards and Mages?

(3) If Merlin was a Mage (& founded Silvermore) why wasn't
Harry recognized as a Mage after 5 years at Hogwarts?
Sayakra chapter 21 . 3/28/2013
I am sorry to say but I liked reading Shades of Gray a lot more than the rewrite. He seems a lot more whiny and helpless in that version.
Are you going to have the sphynx appear again?
The rewrite seems okay though so I'l follow it until the end.
I also read 1/2 prince. Thank you for the translation then!
1,517 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »