Reviews for Wishes
unknown20troper chapter 15 . 5/10/2009
Good chapter!

So, Kenneth is one of her old boyfriends. Your OC sure likes bad boys.

The sentence about cheating on tests provides insight into her pushover nature. Some pervs hit on her. I am not sure how they could be important to the plot.

I know as much about "beer-guts" as you know about "tropes".

Anyway, the ad below your story is advertising Trickster R.E.V.O.L.U.T.I.O.N, which reminds me of Norm. I am only slightly upset about the lack of Norm in this chapter.

Good story! Update soon!

P.S-the TV Tropes Wiki definition of "trope" is:

Tropes are storytelling devices and conventions that a writer can reasonably rely on as being present in the audience members' minds and expectations.

You Found Me by The Fray just came on. I have for some reason associated it with Wishes. Well, I have a weird mind that likes make weird associations.
iPod snawon chapter 14 . 5/10/2009
Great conversation. So, Norm is finally being thanked for something.

Norm doesn't trust Ki'lua. Well, isn't he a hypocrite? He messed up all of Timmy's wishes in Genie Meanie Minie Moe, trapped Timmy's fairies in his lamp to escape his lamp, tried to kill Timmy for an entire episode, put Crocker on Mars, tricked Chester and the Mayor, has been described as "untrustworthy but good", hit Timmy's fairies with a wrecking ball and considered giving Amanda a "downfall" to attain his freedom, and yet he thinks Ki'lua is untrustworthy.

I think Ki'lua might be trustworthy and Norm is just jealous but denying it with any notion he can think of.

Good story! Update soon!
iPod snawon chapter 13 . 5/10/2009
Good description of your OC from Norm's perspective. It was cute how Norm taught her how to surf.

So, "Hawaii's Skimpiest Bikini Squad" thinks Amanda is Norm's little sister. WTF! That will cause problems when they have a relationship (everyone knows they will have one). Her parents think he's her teacher, "HSBS" thinks they are siblings and Ki'lua thinks Norm is Amanda's chaperone. The notion of Norm accompanying someone to make sure they don't have ... amuses me.

Interesting argument. I wonder if your OC is aware that *squicky thought commences* Norm was flirting with the last generation of "HSBS" and maybe even them too. My mind can be such a P-E-R-V.

The characters were IC.

iPod snawon chapter 10 . 5/10/2009
Don't worry. Norm was In Character in this chapter, but I just forgot to say so. You have 80 or more reviews. Wouldn't it be time to update about now?
iPod snawon chapter 12 . 5/10/2009
I like how these lines express Norm's Trickster nature:

He looked out into the water, then- "Hey, uh, you surf?" he asked, standing up and extending his hand down to her.

"Er- no," she said, taking his hand cautiously and allowing him to pull her to her feet.

"Me neither! Let's do it, huh?" he suggested with a genuine excitement.

"But I can't-"

"Ap ap ap!" he silenced her, waving a finger in the air disapprovingly. "Can't or shan't, kid? From what I can tell, you're scared to even try!"

He was teasing her! Trying to needle her into it-!

"I am NOT scared!" she protested, turning beet-red.

He smiled. Too easy. "Oh really?" he said in a mockingly disdainful tone. "Why don't you prove it?"

"Fine!"she said hotly, determined to take on the challenge. She would prove she wasn't scared-! She was, but no way would she let Norm know that!

Who is Se? Why'd 'se bent down'? Oh, you meant 'she'. You should have remembered to press the 'h' key. S-H-E.

Good descriptions.

Not too much else to say about this chapter, and I am fine with the chapter's fluffy perspective switches.

iPod snawon chapter 11 . 5/10/2009
So, Norm and Amanda are in Hawaii. Nice description of the scenery and Ki'lua. Oh, so Norm is jealous of Ki'lua, is he? And Norm's getting a bit... gasp ... controlling! Your OC doesn't like that.

Emerged does not have two m's and is not going to buy another one from the store anytime soon because emerged does not want or need two m's.

The characters are IC.

Great story though there isn't much to say about this chapter!
iPod snawon chapter 10 . 5/9/2009
This chapter is disturbing (that is a compliment). I constantly switched from compassion for Norm and utter revulsion at his plans. Norm normally does not cause the latter emotion and only very skilled writers can make me feel that way that towards him intentionally since am a fangirl (which shouldn't mean that my opinion should count for any less) and I assume you intended this scene to be disturbing. I decided to play the song "How Do I Refuse?" (A Villain Song, even though Norm isn't a villain) from some Barbie movie on my iTunes because it was the only song that fit the scene (I use music to set the mood while reading fanifcs sometimes).

I am glad that Norm didn't go through with the plan because I care about your OC and don't want her to get a "downfall".
iPod snawon chapter 9 . 5/9/2009
I love how Norm was a Literal Genie to be a Benevolent Genie. That is a new combination of tropes. I like how Norm realized why she was so kind. It is ironic that it is a similar reason to why he became a jerk (as stated in "Norm's Story", which I have put in my own personal version of canon).

I like that Norm finally acknowledged that Chester was a good kid. He must really regret not remaining his godparent. I like how the fairies said Norm was a jerk instead of instantly liking him 'cause he is the male lead, and they didn't get villainized for it. You got the title of this chapter from the subtitle of Bitter Reunions, didn't you? Nice shout out. Norm just couldn't GONG into her bedroom, couldn't he?

Well-written fanfic!
iPod snawon chapter 8 . 5/9/2009
Like how you mentioned Rip Van Studwell and Jorgen Von Strangle.

So, Norm actually is denying that he is evil.

Wanda questioned further. "Well then how did she get hurt? Did you-"

He jumped to his feet. "No! It wasn't me, it was some stupid teenagers! Jeez, give me a break! You think I'm that bad a guy!"

"Well," said Cosmo, floating forward in thought, "you did try to trick us out of our job."

"And hurt our god-child," added Wanda.

"And kill us," concluded Cosmo.

"Alright, alright, I'm a bad guy, but I didn't do it."

Weird compromise. The trope for that is Even Evil Has Standards. That would make a good page quote for that trope. If you had mentioned that Vlad and Danny are mortal enemies on 'Vlad wonders why', you could have made a good page quote for Foe Yay, unfortunately you didn't mention that and wasted the opportunity for a page quote.

Interesting toilet humor with 'baby Poo-'. I can't believe BH hasn't used Poof's name being interrupted as a gag yet, since he likes to use toilet humor.

Amanda interacts well with Timmy's fairies. Wanda doesn't understand that Amanda ended up with Norm because she was sweet. I guess she believes that Norm spends his time at Club Evil.

All the characters are IC.

Wonderfully well-written story!
iPod snawon chapter 7 . 5/9/2009
Good job Norm! He did a good Secret Test of Character for them, which they of course failed. Norm's finally realizing something about Good and Evil, kindness and cruelty. Norm's words sounded like something out of the Bible, not his usual snark. Norm probably would look very cool with gold eyes, though his magenta/amethyst eyes are one of the coolest things about him. I see that Norm's learning humility (considering that he used to believe that he was absolutely awesome, evil or/and awesome at being evil). I have a feeling that Amanda won't approve of what he did. This chapter is the type that should be set to really dramatic music. Once again, they are IC and Norm is developing.

iPod snawon chapter 6 . 5/9/2009
Cool insight into Amanda's character. She sure is naive. I find it really weird that she would put concern about being embarrassed in-front of Norm before concern for her own life. Yasmin and co. sure are mean. How'd Norm know she'd be there anyway? Is it the genie-master connection or did he GONG all around Dallas looking for her?
iPod snawon chapter 5 . 5/9/2009
So, Norm is starting to care for Amanda. This chapter is a good insight on her character. She seems to have low self-esteem. Once again, the characters are IC, and Norm seems to be developing some compassion.

Well-written story!
iPod snawon chapter 4 . 5/9/2009
The characters are still in IC, and you hit on what exactly Norm would think of the movie. You know, I think it would be cool if Norm MSTed the real world, as a voice-over in one's brain. I could offer such the valuable insights. I wonder how exactly Norm behaved when he was a teacher in your math!teacher!Norm dream.

The 'Amber left in a daze and even forgot to put on her shoes and had to drive back to get them' because Norm is so hot (yep, he is though I do try not to be biased when seeing stuff involving him) is really weird, and puts my Sue alert on (though I doubt he is a Sue though he gets high scores on the MS Litmus Tests when I test him). I doubt that your reason for that was the same as Smeyer's reason for the Adonis!Sparkly!Marble!Statue!Hot!PurpleProse!Edward descriptions. In fact, the way that you did it, sounded almost parody-like. Maybe, I was just nitpicking on this.

Very well-written fanfic!
iPod snawon chapter 3 . 5/9/2009
Norm's IC, though the way he was following Amanda around reminds me of a puppy. I like how his actions are similar to how he acted at the very start of Genie Meanie Moe. The title of the movie that they are going to watch makes me LOL and WTF at the same time, and go off on mental tangents about how Dracula can be Dead and Loving it at the same time, and why a movie would even be called that. Your OC has a personality.

Not bothering with a name chapter 14 . 5/6/2009
Nice chapters. They are in Hawaii now, and Amanda has fallen for Ki'lua and vice versa. Norm is jealous of Ki'lua (and somehow finds him dangerous to Amanda). The way she described Norm and their interactions makes me think that she's also into Norm. Norm helped teach Amanda to surf; which she immediately mastered. That kinda caused my Sue alert to go off, but that was just one incident so she is not a Sue.

Author Appeal-the length of Norm's hair

The Paolo-Ki'lua

Love Dodecahedron-Genie Females/Norm/Amanda/Ki'lua

Unresolved Sexual Tension-Norm and Amanda have a lot of this

The Messiah-Amanda

She Is Not My Girlfriend-said a lot by Norm and Amanda

Moral Event Horizon-Yasmin probably crossed it, at least according to the readers' reactions

Love Redeems- Amanda treats Norm nicely and he becomes kinder

Deconstructed Trope-GenieInABottle

If you want to find out what tropes are, go to TV Tropes Wiki /Main/)
131 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 .. Last Next »